Stainless tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stainless tank

I need to heat 10 gallons of solvent in a stainless tank to strip paint and etc, from a piece of machinery. Trouble is, I don't have a tank big enough (15" x 24" x 15'' deep) to use. I've searched ebay and my scrap pile and my neighbors to no avail. Did cut down an old beer keg and thought it was going to work, but it leaked all over the burners of my stove. Any suggestions? I don't have to get this done tomorrow, but don't want to wait 'til Christmas, either. Thanks...

Why does it have to be stainless. I use a cut down 55 gallon oil drum set over a fish cooker fill with water . Pour in about 6 or 8 cans oy lye drain cleaner fire up the cooker put parts in and let it boil. JUST DONT get any on you and keep a water hose handy,
    Every Mans Work Is A Portrait of Him Self
    http://sites.google.com/site/machinistsite/TWO-BUDDIES
    http://s178.photobucket.com/user/lan...?sort=3&page=1

Comment

here a place for plastic tank, barrels, buckets ect. you can always use one and a replacement electric hot water tank heater element to heat the liquid.http://www.usplastic.com/catalog
      Glen
      Been there, probably broke it, doing that!
      I am not a lawyer, and never played one on TV!
      All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or the suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

Comment

Immersion heater.

Comment

Supplier of the solvent I'm using says STAINLESS STEEL or HDPE. The link provided was for MDPE and at $200.00 for the appropriate size, I'd just as soon get SS. I was hoping someone would have an idea of an existing container that I could scrounge or an easy way to make, Thanks...

Comment

May I suggest a large pot out of a resturant or food industry supply house or auction. I don't know what it would cost new these days. Also might try scrapped medical supplies.
            Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there no sweeter words than "I told you so."

Comment

I'd be looking for an old sink, maybe find one useful for that. Some I've seen look pretty deep, but maybe not enough. Maybe a laundry room sink-
              I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

heating solvent?My alarm bells are going off.
                why not use TSP and water or lye and water in a 50 gallon barrel that will strip most paints

Comment

my friend needed a tank for blueing rifle barrells and made his own out of stainless. It might be easier to bend one up and have someone weld it for you if you don't have welding ability.
                  - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                  Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Being a plumber, an old sink came to mind early on. Probably could turn one if I wanted to wait for the opportunity, but I was in more of a hurry. This solvent is called NTerpinal and is environmentally safe, no warnings or health hazards etc et al. Mash in www.solventreplacement.com and read about it if interested. So far it really does perform, cleans up with water and is generally much easier and better than paint stripper, lye etc. (What does one do with the sludge left over after using the above?) Welding up a tank occured to me last night and I have patterns in my head. Anybody ever use a MIG to weld stainless? What does one use to bend stainless to create 'rolled' corners instead of sharp corners, or is that necesary or possible? What does one use to bend stainless with 'square' corners, as (after thinking a second) I realize I'd have to do a lot of filling (not filing, though a lot of that would be necessary also) at the bottom four corners if rolling the material. I don't have a brake and don't really want one, either. Thanks...

Comment

Working...
                    X