ebay sucks... how does this happen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ebay sucks... how does this happen?

Ok, I'm not a huge ebay buyer but every once in a while I see something that is hard to find and I make a bid. As was the case a few days back. I placed a bid and went to look at the progress. The item was not to be found. I did get an email telling me that the auction was pulled by the seller.

Why is it that a seller can pull the auction with a bit more that 24hrs to go and leave no reason other than "The seller has canceled the bids and ended the auction".

Makes me think that someone contacted him off line and made an offer.

Or, he felt that he was not getting what he wanted out of the item and pulled it.

Strange, in a "real" auction if the item has a reserve, then the bidders know it before they bid. If not, it sells at what ever the higest bid is. Once bidding has started, there is no backing out. I once saw an auctioneer pull a guys number for bidding up a tool and then backing out at the end of the bid.

Now, last time I checked, when I place a bid, ebay reminds me that I am entering an agreement and that I am to follow through if I am the winner. If I back out, I get a mark on my record.

In this case, the seller moves on and no one knows the difference. I was the high bidder, I should at least be allowed to put a mark on his record stating that he pulled the auction with no reasons.

This is the 2rd auction in two months that has been pulled on me. Bad luck o' plenty. And I wanted these collets.... Grrrrrr............

-rant off-
    rock-
    Last edited by rockrat; 11-11-2006, 11:36 PM.
    Civil engineers build targets, Mechanical engineers build weapons.

eBay is not a live auction, and works by different rules.

A seller can end his auction at any time up to 24 hours before the end. By the same token, a bidder can retract his bid at any time, and for no particular reason. It works both ways.

Your bid is binding only when the auction is completed, then it is your responsibility to pay. It is also the seller's responsibility to provide the merchandise as advertised.
    Jim H.

Comment

Same thing happened to me recently on a threading dial. Pissed me off too.
      "The men the American people admire most extravagantly are the greatest liars; the men they detest most violently are those who try to tell them the truth." H. L. Mencken

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed, and third, it is accepted as self-evident."

"When fear rules, reason and logic are ruled out."

Comment

Here's a complete explanation: http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/end_early.html

If the item had a reserve and your bid met the reserve, file a complaint under "Fee Avoidance" or "Reserve Price Violation".

Stop complaining about ebay when the problem is the seller. Whining about it here won't do a thing. Use your typing skills and report the seller using the procedures given by ebay. Learn and use ebay policies to your advantage. The more complaints reported for a seller, the more inclined ebay will be to do something about it. The "marks" add up quickly when more folks report it.

Ebay looses their final value fee when an item is canceled so make sure they know about it. (Insertions fee is still charged.)
        Last edited by CCWKen; 11-12-2006, 12:33 AM.

Comment

E-Bay has it's good and bad points. I have both bought and sold on it and had some issues with both processes. The best I can offer you is that you should understand the rules and play within them.

As a seller, I have offered some high price items (several hundred $s). Many buyers think that even new items offered on E-bay should be sold at a fraction of it's list price and get mad if they can't get a great bargain. While many items there are sold at such prices, others are not and both are within E-bay's rules. As a seller, I have to start an item at a price that is low enough to generate interest. But many bidders do not like bidding if there is an undisclosed reserve. So there is pressure to start the item low and just hope that the price is bid up to the actual level you want for it. So some sellers just end the auction if it does not reach that level at the cutoff point. They never intended to sell it cheap and it will probably reappear after a period of time. Set up a search and you can catch it then.

If you really want it, bid higher before the 24 hour point. But do not get caught up in a bidding frenzy and bid more than what it is worth. Decide early on what it is worth to you and place your bid on that basis. One nice thing about E-Bay's proxy bidding process is that your bid amount is remembered by E-Bay but only a sufficient amount of that shows up as an actual bid to exceed the next higher bidder by the minimun bid increment. Hence if you bid $150 and the next lower bid is $75 then your bid will show up as something like $76. You only pay what is needed to beat the lower bid. This continues until someone exceeds your bid and then his/her bid shows up as $151.

PS: My last auction was a new item with a list price over $250. The bidding never got over $100. I let it go for the highest bid but it will be a while before I auction any more like that. You can't make any money if you sell things for 1/3 their worth.
          Paul A.

Make it fit.
          You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

You gotta keep one thing in mind about eBay, and it is the same thing to keep in mind about real estate agents: only the seller pays them any fees.

That means they go way out of their way to favor the seller. They will do so in every way possible that doesn't drive away the buyers in droves. It's just a fact of life, and it is one they don't advertise, but it is absolutely true.

A lot worse can happen to the buyer than just an auction pulled. You can lose your money entirely. I know a guy that won a Miller Mig welder for $1500. PayPaled the seller, and never saw the machine. Filed with PayPal and eBay. The seller got one bad feedback, and PayPal did absolutely nothing. This seller didn't even lose his PayPal account--he was buying concert tickets with PayPal 2 weeks after to rip off and none the worse for it, while my friend was out $1500.

Keep that in mind when you are eBaying. There is no real recourse if you get ripped off. eBay estimates about 5% of auction go bad.

Best,

BW
            ---------------------------------------------------

http://www.cnccookbook.com/index.htm
            Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:
            http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html

Comment

Although I do not see why this turned into an ebay forum but I had to chime in. As a person who has been buying and selling there since 1996 full time back then I can tell you it has evolved with time. There are far more safeguards for both sides than ever before.
              I do not agree about paypal. I have been involved myself with a high dollar ripoff. I bought a race tranny for 1000.00 paid with paypal and never got the tranny. I called paypal and within 3 weeks I had my money. They will go as far as grabbing money from the sellers personal bank accounts or charge cards as you need to list either or to register. Of course any can be closed but you can be sure that if a seller did this and then removed the accounts at the least he would not be a paypal member any longer. Remember the charges have to be proven. As I do not know the ins and outs of your friends I can't comment but the overall story sounds a bit light for facts.

As far as sellers ending auctions a seller makes a commitment to sell an item. They are not allowed to keep ending auctions because they did not get their price. Ebay would not let that continue. There is a way a seller can end a listing at any time and that is if it is stated in the auction description that it is for sale locally and it could be ended early. I have done this myself but it needs to state that within the auction. If this is stated and you bid you are then agreeing with that fact and should not cry if it, in fact does end.
              I find that most bidders rarely read everything in an auction and then are stunned when something happens like this.

My advice would be if it was not stated that it could end early then do as others suggest and report the seller to ebay.
              No one should be above the rules and this goes for both sides.
              I hope I did not sound like a great authority but having been part of ebay since the beginning and having been involved with most anything that can happen (and have it happen to me) I tend to get mouthy about it. So I apologize if I offended anyone but the facts are the facts.

Anyone for coffee?
              Life Is Grand

Comment

Be careful of the spoof e-mails, just got one the other day --- they claim they wanted the update #'s on my new debit card, it was a very impressive looking e-bay e-mail, thing is is Pay pal is the one that deals with my debit card, plus the spoof mail wasnt in my e-bay mail box -- only my regular mailbox,,, I sent a reply back and told them to "go pound sand"

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore
                  If you really want it, bid higher before the 24 hour point. But do not get caught up in a bidding frenzy and bid more than what it is worth. Decide early on what it is worth to you and place your bid on that basis. One nice thing about E-Bay's proxy bidding process is that your bid amount is remembered by E-Bay but only a sufficient amount of that shows up as an actual bid to exceed the next higher bidder by the minimun bid increment. Hence if you bid $150 and the next lower bid is $75 then your bid will show up as something like $76. You only pay what is needed to beat the lower bid. This continues until someone exceeds your bid and then his/her bid shows up as $151.
                  If I see something I really want I put in a reasonable bid to "anchor" the item. Then I go to esnipe.com and put in the rest of my bid which is made a few seconds before auctions end. I use esnipe because my ping rates to the ebay servors can't compete with folks living on the west coast who also go to bed after I'm already sleeping. It evens things out in my opinion.

I never accept the "the high bidder backed out for family reasons so do you want it for your bid?" emails. I always look at them as a scam to get a look at all possible bids.

I also insist on payment by Postal Money Order as if you screw with that, it's federal law you are violating. It saved me once with a guy who wouldn't send my item to me so I filed postal fraud charges on him. Also, if someone pays me with a counterfiet money order they are in the bag for federal crime. Get a counterfiet Bank Draft or Cheque and you're stuck. Sometimes the counterfiet check isn't discovered until weeks later when the take the money back from your checking account.

Pay attention to PayPal. They seem to favor the first one to complain. It is entirely possible to sell someone an item, they complain to paypal that you won't refund the money so paypal gives them the money back and you may never see your item mailed back to you.

This is a great Home Shop Machinist topic as many of us buy machinist stuff off of ebay. if IO hasn't posted to this thread yet it's likely he's still on ebay scouring the machine bargains ! Maybe looking for a scope that won't fall off that 50Cal
                  Last edited by Your Old Dog; 11-12-2006, 07:35 AM.
                  - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                  Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Funny you should mention Ebay.....

A week or so ago One of my auctions ended,with 1 bid my auction stated twice, NO Shipping ,pickup only.So this Yeyhoo asks after the end how much to ship to *******? so I emailed him a convienient price (for me).
                    He wanted me to call him, I said no we will keep this on record,Via Ebay emails, he come back and said "No Deal Howie good luck"
                    so I opened a dispute on his a$$. not much has happened so far.

So we all have Horror stories about Ebay, and still go there and get good deals.

Comment

Jay, not much will happen to the buyer. You will probably end up filing a non-paying bidder complaint on him, and getting your eBay funds refunded.

If he gets three non-paying bidder reports, he will get kicked off. Similarly, if a seller gets reported for pulling auctions too frequently, he will also get the boot.

I don't think there is any penalty attached to canceling your bid though, which would favor the buyer. If two people get into a bidding war, and one cancels, the bid amount will go all the way back to the lowest bid before the war started.

It is kind of a fallacy that eBay favors buyers, they don't really in most instances. Anyone who is a regular user, buying or selling, learns the ropes and uses them. A regular user will know the ins and outs, and use them to his advantage, an occasional user may be clueless.

Don't kid yourself that only the sellers are capable of scamming. There are more buyers than sellers, hence many more buyers are scamming the sellers and getting away with it.
                      Jim H.

Comment

I sent a reply back and told them to "go pound sand"
                        Well, the scammer didn't lose out completely. You verified that your e-mail address is a "live" one. That puts it on a more valuable list.

When I get my back up at those guys I go after their internet provider and get their service cancelled.
                        Last edited by Evan; 11-12-2006, 09:59 AM.
                        Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Should have made collets to start with!

Yea folks, sorry for the rant. It just got me all fired up and I knew you guys would listen. I know that ebay has different rules, just pissed me off.

Honestly it was for a used set of Van Norman 5V collets. My high bid put it into the price range of used collets so I thought that it would be smooth sailing. Oh well.

On a higher note, I have the Van Norman universal head torn down and all cleaned up. I hope to powder coat it in the next week or so. Still need to test the powder coat on a scrap part before I do the real thing. Now, if I only had a few more collets for it I could realy play around.

Might just make them. Aint that what we are supposed to do anyway!

rock-
                          Civil engineers build targets, Mechanical engineers build weapons.

Comment

I do not agree about paypal. I have been involved myself with a high dollar ripoff. I bought a race tranny for 1000.00 paid with paypal and never got the tranny. I called paypal and within 3 weeks I had my money. They will go as far as grabbing money from the sellers personal bank accounts or charge cards as you need to list either or to register.
                            It works if you are honest.....

Then there are the folks who receive a high dollar item, and then send PayPal a picture of a brick in the box, and say "I got ripped off".....

PayPal in some cases has then gone and snatched the money back from teh seller.

So, the seller loses out the money PLUS the listing fees and value fees, the ripoff artist is rewarded handsomely, and as far as payPal (=Ebay) is concerned all is well and everyone is happy. All on just the say-so of a thief.

I understand that once Paypal has done their snatch, you can whistle, they will NEVER go back on their action, you will NEVER get your money refunded no matter what you can prove (if anything). After all, you are a scam artist....

Keep eye on ball.
                            Hashim Khan

Comment

Yeah, from a part time sellers point of view, you get used to doing things one way and then thier genius'es change the website, the submission page.. and all..

I used to build my ads up on the word processor, have them ready and cut and paste them into the submit auction page. NOPE, don't work anymore.

YOU have to use thier submitter, hard to post links since you can't cut and paste them to your pictures on photobucket. YOU type a four inch long line of text or use thier .35 per photo submission fee.. *what they want you to do.

It sucks. Nothing else compares to the people it touches thou.
                              Excuse me, I farted.

Comment

Working...
                              X