Printer Shafts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Printer Shafts

I read somewhere that printers typically have a precisely ground shaft in them that can be useful to a machinist, and then I happened upon a poor old broken down example of the breed. You can guess what happened next.

After some destructo type of disassembly (read plastic parts flying thru the air!) I dug a beautiful piece of metal outa there. About 15" long and so smooth I swear it has to fondled to be appreciated.

I have no way of checking how true it is over the length but after a little practice with my new micrometer I was finding a .4992 dia. all over the place. What good it'll be someday I haven't a clue, but I think I'll keep it!

As a matter of fact I'm looking for more printers ....

SP

You've been bitten! I have more than my share of shafts from printers, and they all have been very useable. Some good shafts on shock absorbers as well, including front end struts. Careful with those springs, though.
    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Another useful source of shafts and other neat stuff for the mayneed box are older / large photo copier machines, usually a give away as it costs to dump them.

Comment

I dumpster dive all the time for printers for that vary reason!

Comment

Some of the older printers also have bronze or oilite bushings in them. So when you pull the shaft, look at what it went into.

I am a fan of used exersize equipment. Not for the intended purpose but more for the steel in them. Bushings, bearings, springs and the like. And, most of the stuff is given away or found out by the curb on trash day.

Funny, exersize equipment is used for about a month and then it becomes an expensive clothes hanger. Sits for a while and then is given away. More than one treadmill motor and motorcontrol has been used for machine work around this bbs.

rock-
          Last edited by rockrat; 11-30-2006, 07:46 PM.
          Civil engineers build targets, Mechanical engineers build weapons.

Comment

A buddy was laughing at me for saving shock shafts for drift punches,..til' he had need of one!

Comment

I kept looking for a date on this series, '99, '01, '03 as this topic keeps popping up with the same comments. Shock absorber shafts are pretty hard
              and micropolished, kinda have to be used as is but shiny stuff is hard to throw away.
              Steve

Comment

Shock shafts have to be used as is? In my experience they are not that hard at all and turn very nicely as long as you get the first cut under the chrome plating.
                Russ
                Master Floor Sweeper

Comment

Originally posted by rockrat
                  More than one treadmill motor and motorcontrol has been used for machine work around this bbs.
                  Or you could even build a windmill out of one.

HTRN
                  EGO partum , proinde EGO sum

Comment

Printers

I'm a computer technician.

There are a number of very good shaft and also motors, steppers, encoders, power supplies cabinets, and transformers.

A virtual treasure house of STUFF to fill up your storage area. All this stuff, maybe just maybe, might be useful someday.

We moved a couple of years ago and this stuff is fairly heavy and I got some great excercise moving my collection. Darn I couldn't throw it out because, a "guy could use something like this someday".

The discussion was also talking about shock shafts. I recently did the struts on my sons car. They also have great shafts. There is a warning "do not disasemble contents under pressure". Is there a way wo release the pressure or an I limited to the portion of the shaft that is on the outside?

Comment

""has to be fondled to be apreciated ""STEADY ON OLD GIRLAlistair
                      Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

You have been bitten , just like the rest of us... LOL
                        NRA member

Gun control is using both hands

Comment

Rancherbill, I think the struts are nitrogen charged. I have not tried it yet, but you could probably drill a small hole to let the pressure off, probably some oil in there that could burn coming out under pressure, so don't torch it. James

Comment

I've drilled a few pressurized shocks. I use a 1/16 drill bit, and put a cardboard disc onto the bit to deflect the spray of oil. It still makes a mess, but if you drill it in a cardboard box, you keep most of the mess there. I have kept the oil that I could collect and save it in a plastic drink bottle. I doubt I'll ever use it, but at least I'm not releasing it into the garbage.

I've also ground into a gas shock, and that's not the way to do it. Pressure will release, and the oil carried with it will first spray onto the wheel, then it will fling a line of oil all over you and the shop. No need to ask how I know this

I think it would be good to wear a rubber glove on the hand holding the shock while drilling.
                            I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

do not over look any chance to get steel or al. if you work for a large company look at the scrap. i got over 150 pices of tubing .188 wall 3"x4" 7" long just for hauling it away. i build car trailers out of it. i got i don"t know how much 1 1/8 x.125 wall tubing drops and mistakes. $5.00 a load . would park my truck right in the bay by the saws and they would load me up. another job i did was rebuilding some machines the bearings would seize and trare up the shafts. they gave me the old shafts. saw off the bad ends and had 3' of good shafting left i" and 1.250 od.

Comment

Working...
                              X