Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bolmas
    replied
    edgar westburys warrior twin would do, you could use the dimensions and build yourself from stock. i dont buy castings if i can help it,only stuats castings. most of the others are very expensive and poor quality

i might have warrior in a pdf if you are interested.

e-mail me at [email protected]

Leave a comment:

• Mad Scientist
    replied
    Originally posted by Tin Falcon
    Billyboy this is the size and type engine you need. Or as mentiond before a double or triple expansion ould work.

2V-10M

New for 2006! A two-cylinder engine with Stephenson link reverse. This engine is ideal for model boats of 5 or 6 feet in length with 4" or 5" propeller.

Bore: .75"
    Stroke: .875"
    Shaft Size: .25"
    Flywheel Diameter: 2"
    Overall Height: 5.5"
    Length Base: 5.75"
    Width Base: 3.25"
    Steam Inlet: 1/4" OD
    Exhaust Pipe: 1/4" OD

Shipping Weight: 12 lbs.
    Scaling up to a 1" bore will double the power etc not that that is a bad thing but you do not have to go crazy sizing up/ scaling up to 1 1/2 inch changes power by 8
    Regards
    Tin

For what it is worth here is what this engine might look like.
    I doubt that this is the same engine, but it a close twin. Specifications are essentially the same.

Leave a comment:

• wmgeorge
    replied
    Green Steam Engine

Originally posted by PSD KEN
    Have you tried this site?

http://www.tinypower.com/

Or, something different.

http://www.greensteamengine.com/
    I paid for and received the Green Steam Engine plans on CD-ROM, looked at it and decided to go back to building Ray Hasbroucks #3 engine. Got the flywheel casting ordered from Martins Models. BTW, I'll make someone a deal on that CD above, it just doesn't look like a proper steam engine...

Leave a comment:

• Carld
    replied
    Hmmm, I am thinking that a 1 1/2"x1 1/2" bore/stroke would power a small skiff for fishing. I got to work on the engine in the African Queen once and I thought it was small for the size boat it was in. The owner said it was a duplicate of the original. The original engine was removed and a diesel was put in before WW2. During the filming of the movie the boat was powered with the diesel but a steam engine was used for effect. He saved the hull from being scrapped and restored it. I think his daughter, who inherited it when he died, keeps it in Floridia. That was several years ago and she may have sold it now. The engine would lock up and wouldn't reverse and he would beat on it with a hammer to get it running. When he told me that I felt like beating him with a hammer but I just made him feel bad by telling him what I thought of him beating on it. It strained our relations but he got over it. I had to reshim the bearings and retime the engine and he said it was the best it had ever ran. Needless to say I was very pleased that it ran so well. I never did get the ride he promised. I guess he was still mad at me for chewing him out. He lived in Louisville Ky and had a big hotel in the Floridia Keys. The man I worked for and him were good friends and boating buddies. I never have liked boats but I sure love steam engines. I ran it on air when it was in our shop. We had the whole boat in the shop and people came to visit it every day.
    Last edited by Carld; 11-13-2006, 12:16 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Tin Falcon
    replied
    Billyboy this is the size and type engine you need. Or as mentiond before a double or triple expansion ould work.

2V-10M

New for 2006! A two-cylinder engine with Stephenson link reverse. This engine is ideal for model boats of 5 or 6 feet in length with 4" or 5" propeller.

Bore: .75"
    Stroke: .875"
    Shaft Size: .25"
    Flywheel Diameter: 2"
    Overall Height: 5.5"
    Length Base: 5.75"
    Width Base: 3.25"
    Steam Inlet: 1/4" OD
    Exhaust Pipe: 1/4" OD

Shipping Weight: 12 lbs.
    Scaling up to a 1" bore will double the power etc not that that is a bad thing but you do not have to go crazy sizing up/ scaling up to 1 1/2 inch changes power by 8
    Regards
    Tin
    Last edited by Tin Falcon; 11-13-2006, 04:51 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Mcgyver
    replied
    i would think pressure and boiler's rate of producing steam are more important, that and the prop. figure out what boiler will fit and or looks right and size your engine to that. Tin's point is good, you want your boiler to easily to keep up to the engine. remember, the big cylinder's on triple or double are the low pressure ones and do nothing without a condenser, the high pressure (first) cylinders are small!

boats always bothered me because there's no easy way to monitor the boiler, have you some automated scheme to automatically keep up the water level?

Bill, just a guess, but I think boat would need small fraction of what a loco would, there is so much friction with the loco, only takes the tiniest of hand pushes to send a 5' boat off, not so with the loco.
    Last edited by Mcgyver; 11-13-2006, 12:29 AM.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    5 ft boat? I would assume the equivelent of a 1.5" scale 2-8-2 live steamer.
    Just a wild guess off the top of my head though. Do a search on Google books for marine steam applications. Not everything scales down, like steam whistles, but most everything else does.

Leave a comment:

• J Tiers
    replied
    Actually, you probably really need the mean effective pressure also.....

That will allow you to get an estimate of the power of the engine. It would be about halfway between the boiler pressure (less flow losses) and the exhaust pressure.

You would need an estimate of the power needed to move the hull, when at its nominal draft. I assume there are people with formulae on their sites......

Leave a comment:

• billyboy
    replied
    hi, thanks for all the links, im really after scratch building from bar stock, a model boat hull of 5 or so foot needs to have a power plant of substantial size, i just need the size of bores and stroke size, a good point brought up by Tin Falcon was to have more than one cylinder for self starting, im not too bothered of material weight or size as i will have plenty of room to accommodate the engine and boiler.

Leave a comment:

• Philt
    replied
    HasBrouck #9 engine

I have built this engine except for the water pump addition. It is a powerful little engine that is a workhorse, although I am not sure it would be enough to power a boat as large as you mention. In any case it would be an interesting project.

Leave a comment:

• JCHannum
    replied
    There are some very good plans available from Ray Hasbrouck;

http://hasbrouck.8m.com/index.htm

Engine Number Nine will fit your needs exactly. Most of the others are larger, but can be easily scaled down.

Ray's engines are designed to work, not as shelf decorations. They are attractive and very practical engines.

Leave a comment:

• Tin Falcon
    replied
    Double expansion??

Originally posted by billyboy
    im thinking on the lines of a 1" bore and a 3/4" bore engine, but im also toying with the idea of a big bore engine of around 1 1/2" diam.
    Does that mean you are considering a double or triple expansion engine? That would be a good option and these were used in the larger marine engines of old. IIRC there is a Rudy Kuhoupt design for one of those as well. One of the guys I know from the ME shows built one, runs great on steam but not compressed air. Like i mentioned earlier a single large piston will have dead spots. If it stops for any reason you may not be able to restart it. Aslo if you are talking about 1-1/2 inch at boiler pressure a single cyinder double action is still 4 times the engine you need. And it will have large steam requirements.
    Tin

Leave a comment:

• billyboy
    replied
    thanks for the info, im in the uk so stuart engines are an expensive option, but me been me i like to make everything from scratch, my last engine and boiler was made from stock materials, and the boiler was also scratch made, im thinking on the lines of a 1" bore and a 3/4" bore engine, but im also toying with the idea of a big bore engine of around 1 1/2" diam.

Leave a comment:

• Tin Falcon
    replied
    Twin

billyboy:
    You did not mention the desire of a casting kit or plans. Seems like a twin cylinder double action 3/4 bore by 3/4 stroke is what you need. Rudy Kuhoupt has a nice set of plans for a marine engine. Villiage press has just published a set of books featuring Rudys engine plans. This engine is a 5/8x 5/8 so may be a little under powered, or you could scale it up some. Rudys engine was so well build he could blow in it and it would run. One of the advantages in these designs is that they are self starters. You want this since is a little hard to spin a flywheel to get an engine going while the boat is in the middle of a pond. Remember in models the power and weight of an engine is proportional to the cube. In other words doubling the size say changing a 1/2 inch bore to 1 inch produces 8 times the power requres 8 times the material by weight and requires 8 times the steam.
    regards
    Tin

Leave a comment:

• JCHannum
    replied
    They are different engines, being all brass castings, but are equal to the Stuart models in power, or maybe a bit more as they have a longer stroke.

This is the twin cylinder marine engine version;
    http://www.tinypower.com/store2.php?...on=show_detail

Leave a comment:

Working...
X