X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evan
    replied
    Doc,

It's really hard to find that stuff made from metal these days. They are all some sort of plastic. I have a bunch that will do ok but are some sort of injection molded fibre filled polymer, probably acetal. The metal ones I have are from long ago when a photocopier weighed half a ton for an ordinary office model. All electromechanical with nary a semiconductor in sight and a huge aluminum frame with a 1hp drive motor.

Leave a comment:

• Doc Nickel
    replied
    Originally posted by A.K. Boomer
    I cant believe you got one of those just laying around[...]
    -Actually, that's not even slightly hard to believe. I've seen literally dozens of that exact size belt (and cogs) in various printers and plotters.

The fact is, more and more companies are using more and more "off the shelf" parts, onbly using custom-made pieces when they absolutely need to. It's easier (source the parts from a manufacturer- that way you don't have to have the facilities to make them yourself) cheaper, and usually faster (they already have them on the shelf.)

The upshot of it is, that the same motor or stepper, belt and gear might be used in ten or twenty different products. And since they're making, using and then scrapping about a million or three photocopiers and printers every year, those of us that strip them down for fun and interesting parts tend to wind up with a basketful of them.

Doc.

Leave a comment:

• Evan
    replied
    I cant believe you got one of those just laying around Ev,, This may be a Wopticle dillusion (mainly because im the one looking at it) but what about gear teeth width? the plastic gear looks much taller to me as it sits no?
    It's the same width as the belt. The plastic gear is slightly taller but part of the illusion is the angle I took the photo at. It will work. You wouldn't believe what I have laying around.... maybe you would...

DGH,

Well, you came to the right place. There are plenty of people here ready to help out. If it weren't myself George or somebody else would have fixed you up.

Leave a comment:

• dgh43
    replied
    DGH,

I am curious what prompted you to ask for help on this forum.

Well I done a search for machinist forums cause I thought I was going to have to have one made. It didn't occur to me to just find one already made.

Leave a comment:

• A.K. Boomer
    replied
    I cant believe you got one of those just laying around Ev,, This may be a Wopticle dillusion (mainly because im the one looking at it) but what about gear teeth width? the plastic gear looks much taller to me as it sits no?

Leave a comment:

• John Stevenson
    replied
    Originally posted by Evan
    I found it on the road.
    Lucky it didn't get scratched

Leave a comment:

• Evan
    replied
    DGH,

I am curious what prompted you to ask for help on this forum.

Leave a comment:

• Evan
    replied
    I don't believe it, shades of the 21st century.
    Evan with a DIGITAL caliper,
    I found it on the road.

Leave a comment:

• dgh43
    replied
    Please PM (private message) me your address and I will send it to you.
    I sent you a PM.

Leave a comment:

• John Stevenson
    replied
    Aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaa

I don't believe it, shades of the 21st century.
    Evan with a DIGITAL caliper,

[ And it's showing the right time ]

Leave a comment:

• Evan
    replied
    I have a pulley that will work. I was able to modify one in my stash to do the job and it is all metal. Please PM (private message) me your address and I will send it to you. It will cost you a picture of it in use.

(Just the stand with rifle will do, outside )

It doesn't have the key but has a setscrew in the right place that will hold on the flat just fine.
    Last edited by Evan; 11-14-2006, 09:03 AM.

Leave a comment:

• dgh43
    replied
    Yep, 1/4"shaft and 0.2" pitch. I'll look tonight. I have boxes of these left over from when I worked on photocopiers. I may even have one with the correct keying.
    That would be great just let me know what you want for it.

Leave a comment:

• Evan
    replied
    Yep, 1/4"shaft and 0.2" pitch. I'll look tonight. I have boxes of these left over from when I worked on photocopiers. I may even have one with the correct keying.

My boys took me out grouse hunting this fall. I shot the ones on the trail and they tramped through the bush.
    Around my place I just open the door on the truck as I drive up the driveway and grab them by the neck.
    Last edited by Evan; 11-13-2006, 04:07 PM.

Leave a comment:

• G.A. Ewen
    replied
    Originally posted by dgh43
    I hunt deer and squirrel mostly they stand still the longest . But I really enjoy punching holes in paper.
    Yes I enjoy paper punching as well. My boys took me out grouse hunting this fall. I shot the ones on the trail and they tramped through the bush.

Here is a photo of a Spruce Grouse that I took with my HPA .177 .

Leave a comment:

• dgh43
    replied
    I hunt deer and squirrel mostly they stand still the longest . But I really enjoy punching holes in paper.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X