No announcement yet.

welding helmets question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rotate... it is the frequency.. MY hobart helmet works great, but a tig has it's own mini transformer and frequency generator in the spark gap. The helmet is looking for a fixed frequency. (anyways this is my reasoning)
    I love mine. I have used it tig, but not with the high freq box yet.

Comment

I got one for Christmas, from TIP.

http://www.tiptools.com/

It's adjustable from 9 to 13, solar powered and I use it for TIG. It works great, but I noticed while doing some fine welding, about 10~20 amps, it would occasionly flash me. Took a little longer for it to trigger on the small arc. Never had any problems with higher amps. Still think it's great, just learned to take a long blink when starting the arc. It also supposedly has a filter to protect your eyes even if it doesn't darken.

Took me a while to get used to not having to flip the helmet up to see. Can't really see going back to a fixed helmet.

Had to edit post. When I pasted URL in for helmet it made the posts about 2 pages wide. Seach TIP site for Item #8061-ARC

[This message has been edited by JoelK (edited 03-01-2003).]

[This message has been edited by JoelK (edited 03-01-2003).]

Comment

i olny use mine for lots of tack work like exspanded metal welding, but if im laying pounds of wire down i just use my large view helmet.

Comment

Alistair - I purchased the speedglas 9000X (usuall disclaimers etc.) It has adjustable settings from 9 through 13 for SMAW, GMAW, and GTAW. It also has a sensitivity setting for GTAW if needed. The batteries are self recharging and it is great! Wearing glasses now I was always stricking an arc on the bifocal line - first inch was used to adjust my vision - not a recommended technique. Pricey thought but the wife agreed I was worth it when I fixed a hole in her exhaust without the usual explicatives.

Comment

Those helmets are great for stick welding as well as all others. The one problem that I have had with mine is that when the sensor gets blocked by a piece of steel for example, the shade goes off and your in for a tanning session. I still reccommend buying one, but if your welding for long periods of time, I reccommend using the old fassion helmets.

Comment

I also bought a cheap one for my wire-feed, and have trouble with it flashing. I now close my eyes every time I start welding, which kind of defeats the purpose of a self-darkening helmet! Don't know what the solution is.

Comment

Sounds to me like a defective unit. I would return it and get a replacement.

Albert

Comment

I have a Speedglas Utility Helmet. It has a smallish view and is not adjustable (i.e. only one dark setting). It works well, but sometimes the small view is a bit annoying, especially for out of position welding. I got it right after I started MIG welding, so I really never got the hang of the head nod with the fixed lens helmet. It is nice and light, which is also a plus.

My welds are so much better with the auto helmet, that I doubt I'll ever bother learning to use the fixed lens. I am sure that this will limit me some day, but I'll live with that for now.
                  The early worm gets eaten.

Comment

Albert
                    Speedglas has just brought out a new helmut that properly darkens with all TIG welders with as little as a 1Watt arc. This is worth looking into, but they are very expensive so call 911 before asking "how much" - we would not want to see you die from sticker shock.

Comment

To all With a Mig. the arc is uesually not continous and with the inserts ie the cheap ones there is no release adjustment. if your arc is bouncing meaning that what you are welding is not perfectly clean, then it will flash you. so one must purchase a lens that has adjustable release time at least, so that it will be useable for mig use. I returned the cheap insert i purchased because of the mig (i am much better with the stick welder).

Comment

Jeep, I just got (a few weeks ago) a "cheap" helmet at HF for $69 (+TTL) and finaly got a chance to put it through the tests.
                        1. Has adjustable lens from 9-13.
                        2. Has choice of fast or slow off time.
                        3. Does Not have to be charged.
                        4. Will darken with as little as the residual charge spark from my mig. (less than the spark from a flint lighter)
                        5. Responded every time to breaks in welding. (No flashes)
                        6. Had the helmet in use for 2 1/2 hours and loved every minute, i.e. No burning eyes. (Putting a "hard-top" on a 31 Tudor)

The only thing I did notice was a quick "flutter" of the filter when in sun-lit area (sun through a window directly on the weld area). I moved into the shade and all was good. Of course, if you're in brite sun or light, you don't need an auto helmet.

For indoors, I wouldn't use anything else. This was the best bang for the buck I've ever spent!

Comment

Working...
                        X