Just bought a lil' forklift!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just bought a lil' forklift!

I hated to part with some of my business startup money but this is prolly a good idea anyway. Guess I'll just have to work for another week to replace it($1000).
    There's a lot of heavy lifting in the fab/machining trade so I'm sure my back will thank me for this little splurge later.
    I've ran lots of these little propane lifts but never paid much attention to them.
    This is a little Hyster so I'm thinking it should be a decent machine.
    Doesn't appear to have any hydraulic leaks, has brand new hard tires, nothing broken but the propane mixer is missing so I can't fire it up. Engine isn't siezed and seems to have pretty good compression.
    It'll lift 3400# which is a bit more than I can lift
    I can't use it at home because it's a pavement only machine but any shop I rent/buy will have pavement or concrete so it'll be ok. Or I could put the outside type off road wheels on it and maybe run Boggers
    The local Pepsi company sold two of these to my buddy. The other one runs fine and this one is supposed to also. They robbed the propane mixer off this one for one of the new ones. They do a regular pm on all their machines so I'm hoping for the best with this ol' clunker.
    Russ
    I have tools I don't even know I own...

They make great ambiance for start up shops. Park it by the door so that all who enter think you are so damn busy it's necessary. Also a recording over the shop PA that says, "Bob, Line 23, Bob Smith from NASA waiting for you" is also a help

Congratulations on the buy!
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Originally posted by Your Old Dog
      Also a recording over the shop PA that says, "Bob, Line 23, Bob Smith from NASA waiting for you" is also a help

Congratulations on the buy!
      Now that's FUNNY!

BW
      ---------------------------------------------------

http://www.cnccookbook.com/index.htm
      Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:
      http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html

Comment

LOL... NASA

There's a small forklift carcase in my favorite scrap yard that I've been eye balling for several weeks. I couldn't find the lift assembly so I've been passing. It may have just been used as a tug.

Comment

torker... great find. The local Pepsi Company would not have put new tires on a salvage lift truck. Most likely the depreciation schedule used by their bean counters ran out so they reloaded with new lifts and sold off the others.

I sure when you get your shop up and running more than your back will thank you for the lift!

Good luck and Good hunting

Comment

Originally posted by Your Old Dog
            Also a recording over the shop PA that says, "Bob, Line 23, Bob Smith from NASA waiting for you" is also a help
            Oh yea... thats going on my to do list for tomorrow!!!!. And with a sexy girls voice too.

Man I love this place. Full of good ideas.

rock-
            Civil engineers build targets, Mechanical engineers build weapons.

Comment

LOL! Good one YOD! I'm thinking all of a sudden that I could maybe use a business manager....you know...with some original ideas
              Russ

Comment

Well I'm not looking to take on more chores but I'll throw a few more suggestions out there for the start up business.

1. Ask your neighbors to use your drive/parking lot.

2. Stack some empty UPS type boxes by the door where people have to trip over them to get in. Label one to the White House, one to Boeing Aircraft and maybe one to Tom & Katy Cruise. On the Cruise box write diagonally across one of the corners "BBQ Grill Parts".

3. Get one of those "take a number" things and rip off the first 35 numbers and throw'em away.

4. Get about 20 bingo folding chairs for a waiting room. Might even set some outside by the door.

5. Don't let anyone move thru the shop without carrying something under both arms to look busy.

6. Divide your customer counter into two sections with big signs saying, "Work Coming In" and "Work Going Out". Append to that a smaller sign saying "Please stay in line, nobody appreciates someone cutting in line"

And remember this, nothing sells like success. It's easy to look successfull

That should be enough to keep you going your first month in business until the tax man shows up seeking evidence of your tax paperwork

(Actually, I know of a gun engraver who was interviewed for the newspaper. He boasted of how much work he was doing just to look successfull and he got a visit from the Colombus IRS office !! If you're gonna boast, don't do it in a town where the IRS has a field office !!)
                Last edited by Your Old Dog; 11-21-2006, 07:29 AM.
                - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Ahhh Hyster,my favorite,I got an H50J propane,it is stronger than me too.
                  I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

YOD (Ray) -
                    You're so right it's scary. I actually think I could start up a business now.

(Out of respect for those working their butts off to actually run a small business, you have to know I'm kidding.)

-Mark
                    The curse of having precise measuring tools is being able to actually see how imperfect everything is.

Comment

I know that when I got my forklift, it changed my life.
                      I often have a helper or two in the shop, but even so, lifting heavy stuff is no fun.
                      Of course, we use the forklift to unload supply trucks, or to load finished work on flatbeds, but its use as a general shop tool is the best thing about it.
                      I am constantly using it to postion things, to hold projects I am working on at just the right angle and height, to act as a third hand.
                      Plus, it makes it a lot easier to manage parts, extra stuff, and projects in process, as you can shuttle pallets around so easily.
                      Buy yourself a few nylon straps, and you can lift and postion all kinds of stuff.
                      Homemade fork extensions are pretty handy too- we have a pair of 6 foot extensions, made from 4" channel, and while at the tips they are only good for maybe a ton, they are almost never off the forklift.

I still get a big grin every time I get to drive mine.

Comment

Darin, I never noticed the model # on mine. I'll have to look it over better when it's delivered on Sunday.
                        Ries...that's what I was thinking.
                        I probably won't have an overhead crane for awhile so this will be handy for lots of things. The shop I work at now used to use their little lift to change chucks on their bigger lathes.
                        It also allows a smaller shop to take on some bigger projects.
                        Ooops...gotta go...NASA is on the phone
                        Russ

Comment

Russ,forklifts are addictive,they should be on the list of controlled substances
                          Once you have one you will never be able to do without again.Think about all the things you do now where you have to stop and think about how to lift or move things,then think about how much of that time your going to get back,neat huh?
                          I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Darin...
                            lol! Yup, I look out the back at the big pile of Ford 9" diffs I've collected as cores over the years. This thing just about has to be trained for off road use.
                            The one my buddy kept....he found some wheels that fit on the outside of his front ones that allow him to go through a lil' mud,etc.
                            This one would need some built for the back also. Have to do some trimming so they'd turn , if it'll work.
                            Nice...I just saw the weather. It's supposed to hit a high of -20C on Sunday. GREAT! No playin with the forklift
                            Russ

Comment

Torker,
                              I made my living many years ago as a Fork lift mechanic for a Clark dealership but I have worked on a few Hysters as well they are a good solid lift truck. The LP system is very simple on these most use an updraft carb with only a few moving parts an LP regulator and a solinoid valve to turn on and off the fuel. Pressure from the Reg to carb should run 10#. I am not sure what you are calling a mixer.
                              Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X