No announcement yet.

c-2, c-5 carbide what’s the difference?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• c-2, c-5 carbide what’s the difference?

Bought a set of cheapo brazed carbide turning cutters so I could learn about using them. Several questions have arisen. Catalogs say c-2 for aluminum and cast iron, c-5 for steel. What’s the difference and effect/affect in using the incorrect grades on the finished work piece? Also, what is the correct setup and method(s) for grinding/sharpening carbide? The threading tools are not 60 degrees, of course, but something like 63-65 maybe. Attempts to correct this on my standard bench-grinding wheel have been less than successful! Have seen specialized carbide grinders, but what’s the best setup one could do with your standard 8-inch Dewalt bench grinder?

rtremaine,
    I will step up to the plate first, anyone, feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

C5 or C6 carbide is tougher and stronger than C2. C2 doesn't stand up well on steel.

You can sharpen (regrind) C2, C5 or C6 on a green wheel. A green wheel is made to grind carbide.

Yes, you can braze old indexable inserts to steel stock and shape them for your jobs.

I have some cheapo inserts, I have broken a few during my learning. Once I get better at machining I will use more of the good stuff.

Paul

Comment

C2 grade is for aluminum, and C5 is for steel(general purpose) C6 is for steel, just better than C5

brent

Comment

hmmm.... ok if one had only one green wheel for sharpening carbide tools what grit would be the best? can only afford one wheel right now. randy t

Comment

I have a single green wheel, it's a 120 grit. I bought a diamond honing stone, ( steel backing, about 1/4 in thick, and 2 in x 4 in ) carefully cut a round out of it, and mounted it on an old ball-bearing motor, less than 1/8 hp I'm sure. This I use to put the final on cutting edges, carbide and hss, and carbon steel. My grinder has the green wheel on it, and an 80 grit aloxide wheel, that's all I need.
          I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

My memory banks say C-6 wears better, C-2 is tougher. (less likely to chip) I could be wrong here.

120 grit sounds too fine for general purpose carbide tool grinding. The darn things glaze soon enough as it is. Even 80 grit is no fun to use for long, but that's what the factory grinders (Baldor) come with I think.

Comment

This is a rant repost, if it offends anyone I appology beforehand.
              rtemaine said he can only affoerd a single green wheel. I hate to tell you this but if you can afford this adiction you can damn well afford the odd bit of tooling this hobby requires. A hobby is a pastime, ie entertainment, not a prequiste for existance.
              Besides that green wheels breakdown really fast. If you can get a break on a multiple purchase do it. So what if they last you 10 years
              Forty plus years and I still have ten toes, ten fingers and both eyes. I must be doing something right.

Comment

Spin Doctor, perhaps I should have said I can't afford to purchase something that would not be what I needed and would sit on the shelf for ten years unused. Having said that, sounds like I ought to start with a 120 and then go from there. Any advice on fixtures or techniques for beginners to get the best results when grinding carbide tools on a standard bench grinder as opposed to having a specialized carbide grinder? thanks again randy t

Comment

I have two greenstones, one is a used very course one and the other is a new Enco 120 grit. 120 grit is pretty fine, I would say 80 or so maybe the best if you go single stone.

You might be able to dress an edge just a little on a common stone. Don't try to hog much off the carbide with it though. It will dress the stone more than the carbide.

Thanks
                  Paul

Comment

Spin Doc: I hope we have some young folks on here that are doing this because they will use what they gain to become wealthy productive citizens, others ,past their prime (maybe disabled) who enjoy passing their time changing big scrap metal into litte scrap metal. Other who teach and have to stretch the dollartighter than a mosquuuito's rectum over a rain barrel!!!

Yesterday, son in law and I went to horrible freight, were approached by a young fellow- maybe 60 years old, he hadin his grubby sh*t hooks a "7/16 inch" sheet tmatal screw from a 1957 Desoto he was restoring. Its mate was buried in a tight spot and hada roounded head. He wanted a Ezy out to remove the screw. What size drill? he had the only EZy outs he owned in his hand two of them. First thing i told him was that that screw was a 7/16 head, andthe screw its self loked to be a 1/4 inch sheet metal screw, needing a 7/16 inch wrench. Second the easy out was so rusty that it would not hold even if the screw was not rustbound, aand that ezy outs aint easy any way. We showed him hand held impact wrench (lessthan 10 dollars, left hand drills- he had a B&D reversable drill motor aand no drills. aalso his secondezy out was in fact a rusty (badrust) 1/4 inch tap. Store manager got involved and picked out a setof left handed drill, set of ezy outs, a wrench for rounded head screws andsuggested he buy them all, bring back the ones he did not use for refund. Man saidhe had 19.95 to spend. I casually rounded it to 20.00 dollars and guy says I mean i have 19.95 cash and no cards. so he could only buy one thing and return them one at a time. The man was well spoken- used betterenglish than I, seemed bright- excepting he wanted to restore a 57 Desooto (I'd love to find a 57 chrysler in good shape). You gonna tell me i shooould tell him that if he has no money he shoud not be restoring cars? No way, I wish I were closer and I would have helped him. I admire persons who reach for more thaaan they can hold!. I have kicked many a man when he wanted a hand up- hoping each kick was a boost. Just want to help a man along but I don't want a clinging vine to have to support as it grows. aallso i figure a man who does the job with money on hand is going to learn more than onewho throws money atthe probllem.

Not intneding to preach, but saying you gotta spend money, is going to discourage some one who may become wealthy and I need him to help me (4/5 quart of Old Grand Dad might help) .

One of my foremen had posted over his desk- "Lord, make my words sweet and kind to stomach, I'll probaly have to eatmany ofthem someday".
                    Steve

Comment

If I p****d any body off, sorry. Ask yourself some questions. How much did the glorified typewriter we're sittin' at cost? How much a month is your ISP? No one is saying that anybody should drain their bank account buying useless tooling. I know I think damn hard before I purchase any tools need for my job. Can I justify it or is an item that I'll use once in a decade. I'd like think I know the difference between need and want and beleive me the people who are in this for a hobby are in the "want" coloumn.
                      Forty plus years and I still have ten toes, ten fingers and both eyes. I must be doing something right.

Comment

Doc- you sure didnot piss me off. I just think its kind of arrogant to tell some one else how they should spend theeir money and why. And I can not justify any one buying a glorified typewriter. I assembled mine from computer shows, flea market and lots of study- done piece by piece since 1984. And kids are starving in China while (not because)I spend my money on fun stuff.

May I remind you that the block above where you post is "HOME .......". And I never made a model anything any time, when I cut a thread it is to see if I can do it that way or to use it.

And most things in life fall into the "want" column- You sure don't need to go into debt in this country- but most peoplle want a roof over their head (which is sure not a neccessity", and a few extra pounds on the belly which is supposedly not good for you. And a beer once a year. Andshouldthe wife die, I hope to die in the bed of young gal (not a kid- young is forty plus to me )

Comment

Spin Doctor

I have been in the gutter and lived high on the hogg. I have gained the world and lost it only to find it again and loose it again - over, and over again. What I have learned from all this is I do not need or want anything. The only important thing is that I try to live my life as a honorable being and treat others as I expect to be treated. Everything else is an allusion and just a passing memory.

Comment

Amen Dave!!!! One great gift (often mentioned) would be the ability to see ourselves as others see us.
                            A very scary gift would be to be able to see others as they see themselves- that fat little fellow is a hero waiting for a chance to show his mettle, the old ugly virgin is saving her precious body for a deserving man, and that broke, in debt up to his ears man is a shrewd investor who has bad luck. And i am the old fool who thinks his opinions are worth the time he spends in front of his glorifies typewriter!!!!
                            Peace all,
                            Steve

Comment

Steve

Amen to that, brother!

One thing I hope to accomplish is make it to death without having to wear diapers again. I told my doctor I would rather be dead than have to have someone change my diaper. He told me that I was looking at it all wrong - "You just might like that 'squishy' feeling!" Yeah sure, and my ass is a star shaped cookie cutter. Chocolate sprinkles! Chocolate sprinkles! (I are a sick puppy)

[This message has been edited by Thrud (edited 03-10-2003).]

Comment

Working...
                              X