Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lathe fine feed numbers?

Hey guys!
    A question....what is the finest feed rate you have on your lathes?
    This 14X40 is .008 per rev.
    If I remember right my ol' SB was .002 or so....maybe?
    This (.008) workes well with heavy cuts with inserts but isn't real shiny with HSS unless it has a big radius on the tip of the tool.
    Thanks!
    Russ
    I have tools I don't even know I own...

I'm at my parents house and I dont remember what the finest feed is on the lathes at work, but you may want to look into some inserts with a wiper edge, basically it has a bigger radius like what you described and will give you a better finish.
    http://www.coromant.sandvik.com/sand...per*Technology

Comment

CVA lathe is 0.0005" to 0.077" depending on selection.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

13" Harrison, 0.001" - 0.040"

Is that the machine that had the fine and coarse swapped 0.002" <-> 0.008" ?

Den

Comment

My Rockwell 11" goes down to 0.0016 without swapping gears. And I can easily half that by changing gears...
          Russ
          Master Floor Sweeper

Comment

My Monarch goes down to .0005" up to .016".

Comment

lathe fine feed numbers

My old 12x40 Wholesale Tool lathe goes to .0004.
              John Burchett
              in Byng OK
              John Burchett
              in Byng OK

Comment

On my South Bend 10L it is .0015.

R W

Comment

Ouch! No wonder I can't get a nice finish like my old SB.
                  The crossfeed on this goes down to .002 and works well but apparently the X feed sucks!

Russ
                  I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

My old Porter Cable goes down to roughly .002 if I did the math right. James

Comment

My 3 in 1 Grizzly is .005". It's part of the reason I'd like to have an electric drive for the lead screw. I'd still use gears for threading but that's relatively rare.

Comment

10" Sheldon is .00085 per rev, and the 13" Sheldon is .0009 /rev.
                        lg
                        no neat sig line

Comment

Well, I have a SB 9C, the one with manual change gears. I also have several compounds, 1:3, 1:4, and 1:6. Now, with the 1:6 compound I can get up to 348 TPI or 0.0029". But if I could figure out a way of adding a second compound to the gear train, I could cut that by 1/3 or 1/4 for perhaps 0.00072".

You guys with the A model could buy a few change gears and put them in place of the standart gears and perhaps get perhaps 1/4 or 1/5 of the original setting on the QC box. In this manner you could probably get down to one or two tenths.

But feed rate is not the only factor in surface finish. I think a larger radius on the tool tip would help. Also having the tool dead sharp. And a good cutting fluid.
                          Paul A.
                          SE Texas

Make it fit.
                          You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

My 13x40 Acer goes From .0460corse to .0017 fine in feed range south bend down to.0015
                            Every Mans Work Is A Portrait of Him Self
                            http://sites.google.com/site/machinistsite/TWO-BUDDIES
                            http://s178.photobucket.com/user/lan...?sort=3&page=1

Comment

Working...
                            X