Oxy-propane hose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oxy-propane hose

Is anyone using "R" rated hoses with propane. (Heating and cutting) Would like to hear from those who have (or are) using it and what your experience has been.
    Thank you.

Paul

We use the standard acy hose and regulator for all cutting. We cut all thickness from 1/16 to six inch plate with propane. The only problem I have seen is in welding, propane is harder to get to melting tempeture. I have found that propane sometimes has a tendency to gum up the regulator but in ten years I have not seen any failures with propane due to this but I have seen dissolved seals in regulators when people let the liquid in acy into the regulator. that can happen with too much pressure or laying the bottles on their side.
    my two cents worth
    re
    Herm Williams

Comment

Originally posted by Herm Williams
      We use the standard acy hose and regulator for all cutting. We cut all thickness from 1/16 to six inch plate with propane. The only problem I have seen is in welding, propane is harder to get to melting tempeture. I have found that propane sometimes has a tendency to gum up the regulator but in ten years I have not seen any failures with propane due to this but I have seen dissolved seals in regulators when people let the liquid in acy into the regulator. that can happen with too much pressure or laying the bottles on their side.
      my two cents worth
      re
      That is the information that I am interested in. Thank you Mr. Williams.

Paul

Comment

Oxy-propane hose

The liquid is acetone.

Cheers

Norm

Comment

I was catching up reading the BBS and this one is a few days old, but important enough that I thought it ought to be responded to, even if late.

The discussion of acetone in the acetylene bottles and regulator damage is nice information, but has nothing to do with the original question.

The question was whether it was safe to use propane with with "R" hoses. The answer is NO. Propane can rot the wrong type hose...and a hose failure is not something I would want to be responsible for. Having someone say that they use the "standard" hoses with propane tells us nothing as his "standard" hoses may be T-grade...or they may be flying by the seat of their pants.

Smarter minds than mine are available at some welding forums, and here is one link that addresses your issue:

http://www.hobartwelders.com/mboard/...lene+regulator
          Paul Carpenter
          Mapleton, IL

Comment

Oxy propane hose

As a Certified welder under British examination, I was already aware of people who were " doing things by the seat of the pants" and wanted to avoid things being " done in their pants". Hence. if they cannot be arsed to go to appropriate authority for information- they are putting others as well as themselves at grave risk. At least, somebody was trying to get the message to slowly dissolve into thick heads.

Only in the past few hours, similar warnings have gone out about grinding wheels.
            Again, from the Brits.

Norman

Comment

I did not mean to offend you Norman. The cautions about not damaging regulators by using bottles that have been tipped without sitting a while first is certainly good information, but the topic evolved away from a correct answer to the original question. I was told the rule of thumb is that acetylene bottles should sit upright for at least as long as they were horizontal, before use.

I just read the original poster's response to being told that basically it was OK to use Propane with "the standard hose" whatever that means. He seemed grateful for the advice, but I am not sure it implied the right answer.

T-grade hoses are safe for other than acetylene fuel gasses and R-grade hose is not. Hoses are relatively cheap...it doesn't pay to die over a cheap hose. A ruptured hose blowing fire about the shop would not be good.

I am not sure what an R-rated hose is, but we probably should not talk about it lest there are children on the forum

Paul
              Paul Carpenter
              Mapleton, IL

Comment

Oxy-propane hose

Paul,

Maybe I am a bit 'touchy' but one side of the large city- Newcastle upon Tyne in which I live was shut off- for two days because danger from acetylene bottles in a garage workshop fire.

My caravan was written off when hooligans set fire to propane and butane bottles which had been stored in them. Nope, mine wasn't there but all that I had was a chassis and a shoe box of bits! Not on topic- again- but sufficiently related to issue warning.

Again, my car hit black ice at 6500 feet, plunged 50 feet vertically, did five somersaults and into the river upside down at minus 10C .Ignition was on- and having been involved with exploding aircraft**** Nope, it was a Diesel!

I'm old mountain rescue, I went back to find Five more vehicle remains in almost the same place. Lots of flowers above the site.

Not on topic, Paul, but worth a mention. Just below my home in the French alps near where the first 'Italian Job' was filmed.

No encores given.

Cheers

Norm

Comment

If by "standard" hoses you mean twin lead oxy/fuel cutting hose,then yes as they are rated for all fuel gases.The fuel hose is red in color and the fittings are lefthand 9/16-18 thread,the oxy hose is green in color and 9/16-18 righthand thread.

So far as acetylene and regulators,the acetone will not attack the internals of the regulator,the danger here is still one of the acetone being depleted which allows for too much gas volume in the cylinder an an unstable condition.

I have rebuilt many regulators over the years,never have I seen any melted or dissolved seals,only the usual dry rot and cold cracking.I can add the following-

NEVER repair an oxy/fuel hose using wormgear hose clamps,wire or tape,ONLY use the correct sized ferrules and crimping tools.

NEVER bring a new refill into your shop without soap testing the bottle connection at the base of the valve and the valve stem packing.I have seen many refills that leaked around the threads and the valve packing.Nothing makes the heart beat faster than looking up and seeing a fresh 125cf acetylene with 4' of yellow sooty flame coming out the valve base threads
                  I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

To retired02,
                    pcarpenter is stating what I also tried to tell another BBS, they also didn't believe, well you can do a Googel search of welding hose suppilers, for the no BS, here is one search for you to heed,

http://www.smithequipment.com/produc...ges/page80.pdf

Using type R in anything but acetelene is like playing "Russian roulette"

Here are a couple of more searches

http://www.safehose.com/ParkerProducts.asp?catID=157

Note the warning in this link

http://www.safehose.com/ParkerProducts.asp?catID=159
                    Last edited by vmil3; 11-27-2006, 11:03 PM.
                    Doug

Comment

Oxy-propane hose

I followed vmil3's additions and agreed wholeheartedly with the strictures which were contained.

Earlier, I said that I held a recognised qualification in welding. Importantly, it would have to be renewed to go out etc. Nevertheless, the advice and warnings are sufficient to re-affirm that 'cowboy operators' are stamped on over here. A responsible operator will not' bugger about' with equipment which is not 100% tested and approved by recognised suppliers and replaced 100% at signs of damage or at the end of its scheduled life.

This doesn't merely exist in the United Kingdom but my domestic hoses in Spain which carry butano- butane are stamped clearly with the date upon which the hoses have to be replaced- under penalty of law.

This all begs the issue of whether even discussion of such a dangerous topic should have been permitted. In another forum discussion is taking place of monitoring spammers who are a nuisance but will not cause death or other physical injury from their intrusion.

I feel that it is time for responsible moderators to intervene to rid our selves of the intervention of people who are clearly a danger to themselves but also others.

Life, I have found, is dangerous enough.

Norman

Comment

Originally posted by aviemoron
                        I followed vmil3's additions and agreed wholeheartedly with the strictures which were contained.

Earlier, I said that I held a recognised qualification in welding. Importantly, it would have to be renewed to go out etc. Nevertheless, the advice and warnings are sufficient to re-affirm that 'cowboy operators' are stamped on over here. A responsible operator will not' bugger about' with equipment which is not 100% tested and approved by recognised suppliers and replaced 100% at signs of damage or at the end of its scheduled life.

This doesn't merely exist in the United Kingdom but my domestic hoses in Spain which carry butano- butane are stamped clearly with the date upon which the hoses have to be replaced- under penalty of law.

This all begs the issue of whether even discussion of such a dangerous topic should have been permitted. In another forum discussion is taking place of monitoring spammers who are a nuisance but will not cause death or other physical injury from their intrusion.

I feel that it is time for responsible moderators to intervene to rid our selves of the intervention of people who are clearly a danger to themselves but also others.

Life, I have found, is dangerous enough.

Norman
                        Cowboys? If you only dealt with the general public.

I refused to sell a garden house once to an owner of a Chinese resturant after I found out he intended to use it as a new gas line for his wok
                        I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Oxy-propane hose

Does being resposible for 1.3 million customers accounts count?
                          Welding came later as a manure student!

Cheers

Norm

Comment

Working...
                          X