Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mcgyver
    replied
    I sort of wondered about this thread, trying to tell what it is from the look, that 'look' afaik is the look of continuous cast bronze, could be any alloy. Now as bearing bronze is common, and that is how it usually looks, you may may make a reasonable guess by the appearance but if its critical, id' say all you really know is that its continuous cast bronze.

Leave a comment:

• lynnl
    replied
    That looks very much like what I bought as Ampco 18 bronze (from an ebay source).
    Mine almost looks like it's laminated of numerous layers. Tho the layers are not all symetrically arranged.

Leave a comment:

• Herm Williams
    replied
    Hello
    What size piece do you need? I can check to see if more is available.
    re
    [email protected]

Leave a comment:

• Evan
    replied
    That's the only piece I have like that. I shudder to think what it would cost now. I've had that for years. I've been saving it for that special project, whatever that is. It won't be napkin rings.

[edit]

LCT???

Leave a comment:

• Mcostello
    replied
    Hay Evan, do you have another peice like that one, I could use some.

Leave a comment:

• wierdscience
    replied
    Originally posted by Evan
    It isn't bent. This is though.

Make one like that and stamp LCT on the bottom

Leave a comment:

• Herm Williams
    replied
    That is it Evan, it looks just like your picture except it has straight sides.
    Many thanks for all the help you all have provided.
    re

Leave a comment:

• Evan
    replied
    It isn't bent. This is though.

Leave a comment:

• Timleech
    replied
    Originally posted by BillH
    Optical illusion from his lens.
    Spoilsport

Tim

Leave a comment:

• JS
    replied
    SAE 660 Bearing Bronze is good material . I use it to fix Vertical Turbine water pumps. I fixed my squirrel cage fan with it as well. The bearing still has the same shaft clearance that I made it to 3 years ago . It is a grease packed bearing/ bushing I give it couple of pumps of the grease gun every summer . I put two holes 180 apart and pump till clean grease comes out and recap . There is no seals on this application . I also turned a new shaft for it as well; tossed the old coldroll shaft and went for the good stuff . I had some bent 416 laying around turned it down to size . Straight as an arrow now .

A straight groove works well , but a helical groove is even better . This all depends on the quality of the grease and how much attention you really want to give it . If you cut a groove in the middle of the bearing is acts like a reservoir.

I can hang onto the bearing after it has been running for a while it does not get hot , which is good.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by Timleech
    I want to know how Evan manged to bend that piece

Tim
    Optical illusion from his lens.

Leave a comment:

• Timleech
    replied
    I want to know how Evan manged to bend that piece

Tim

Leave a comment:

• BadDog
    replied
    Oops, not sure where "brass" came from, I meant bronze. I've gathered quite a stock of that stuff from Enco while rebuilding my Rockwell lathe (which needed most every bushing replaced). Hey, at least it was a "b" word, and the "r" was right too. Gotta count for something, right?

Leave a comment:

• Evan
    replied
    Sounds like 660 bearing bronze. It looks like this:

Leave a comment:

• BadDog
    replied
    Sounds like 660, which is the typical bearing brass for machining. No idea on the grease groove comment.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X