OT: Mossberg 500 vs. Marlin 512 Slugmaster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Mossberg 500 vs. Marlin 512 Slugmaster

With deer season beginning Saturday and with the requirement for using shotgun slugs I'm wondering how a used Marlin 512 Slugmaster would compare to my old Mossber 500 with a rifled slug barrel?

The Marlin looks pretty good but it's heavier than hell plus it's a bolt action with a 2-shot clip. The Mossberg 500 seems lighter and has the pump action.

Any opinions?

Thanks,
    Dan

I'd say, whatever you feel most comfortable shooting.
    ----------
    Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
    Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
    There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
    Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

This one probably should have gotten an OT in the title.

I'd say buying a shotgun just before deer season is a bad idea. I hear guys like that on the adjoining property. You usually hear three shots in short succession. The idea being that if you don't know where your gun hits, sling a lot of lead downrange and see what you knock down.

I say forget the action type and go for the most accurate weapon. Hit what you aim at and kill what you hit...and you won't need the extra rounds. I have gone to shooting a 50 caliber muzzle loader and you start thinking differently when you have one good shot.

That having been said, I used to hunt with a Savage 210F (bolt action rifled barrel slug gun). I hand-loaded a sabot type slug load in roll-crimped shells that shot groups in the 1-2" range at 100 yards. Two of my hunting partners have the Marlin 512's and have killed quite a few deer with them. Either are more accurate than a typical pump-gun...even one with a rifled barrel. The Barrel is affixed to the action and there is no sloppiness between the barrel and action and scope mounts. Think of it as a 12gauge bolt action rifle. Still, you may find shooting what you know (at this point) a more accurate combination than interjecting a new gun/slug combination late in the season.

Paul
      Paul Carpenter
      Mapleton, IL

Comment

Paul,

It does have OT in the title.

You having a tough day?

Comment

Having a tough day?....as a matter of fact

Sorry for being a jerk about it. Buy the 512, by the way if it is a good deal....it was cheaper than my Savage and there is something about the confidence produced by knowing it won't be the gun's fault if you miss. You hear so many folks talk about a gun "being accurate enough for deer hunting". To me, there are so many things against you in shooting in the field that there is no such thing as too much accuracy.

Buy several brands of sabot type slugs and see what is the best performer. The gun is capable of groups a few inches at 100 and certainly at 50. BTW-- shotgun slugs have the ballistics of a watermellon and are *highly* influenced by wind. The temptation is to sight them in at 100 yards. Do so at 50 to remove wind effects, even if you "zero" it for 75 or 100 yards. I read that at a custom slug gun maker's web site so can't take credit for the tip. I officiated once at our clubs "slugfest" on a windy day.....slugs were blowing from one shooter's target to another on the same target board
          Paul Carpenter
          Mapleton, IL

Comment

Tough decision - I have owned both guns and they do handle a bit differently but I liked both and was not overly partial to either one. I would probably take the Marlin if I was blind sitting but the Mossberg is good for all-around work. Bottom line would likely be to stick with what I had unless there was money burning a hole in my pocket.

Comment

Working...
            X