Boss 5 Bridgeport CNC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boss 5 Bridgeport CNC

Question how tall from the ground to the top of the machine is a boss 5 b port cnc mill. Im planning on getting one and wonder if it will fit in my shop. I think this route is better way to go than a knee mill type cnc conversion. Thanx everyone for the advice. Mike

Originally posted by madman
    Question how tall from the ground to the top of the machine is a boss 5 b port cnc mill. Im planning on getting one and wonder if it will fit in my shop. I think this route is better way to go than a knee mill type cnc conversion. Thanx everyone for the advice. Mike

I can give an exact measurement tommorrow but mine is around 8' with the power drawbar on top. I had to take the power drawbar unit off to get mine in place between two rafters then I reinstalled it.

Comment

I think mine is 7' 3" but I'm not sure I counted the 4x4"s that it is still sitting on.

Comment

I'll look later, not in the workshop at the moment but one thing to bear in mind is that the rigid ram Boss has a QC spindle system and doesn't use a drawbar.

The type that use the darwbar, the Friday afternoon models are just glorified manual heads.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

You should look at machines like the Tree 325 too, I would think.

Any of these machines with a dead controller, good mechanicals, and refitted with Mach 3 ought to be a heck of a good deal.

Best,

BW
          ---------------------------------------------------

http://www.cnccookbook.com/index.htm
          Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:
          http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html

Comment

81" Concrete to top of head. Bridgeport Boss 5.
            No draw bar, heck, no draw bar hole.
            JRouche
            Last edited by JRouche; 12-01-2006, 05:34 PM.
            My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Mine is in a room with a 8 foot ceiling. Plenty of room, no drawbar hole in the top. Mine is a series 2.

It is surprising how heavy these rascals are. Anyone moving one should be well versed in HOW. I moved mine 30 feet on 5/8 bar and crow bars by myself a inch at a time.

The Wells Index machine outweighs the bridgeport over a thousand pounds. My engine lift would not lift it off the trailer, I had to take the head loose, set it down, then lift the base and table off. It too is a cnc. It took six hours to unload. I built a Aframe over there at the shop that week.

David
              Excuse me, I farted.

Comment

Another machine line to look at is Hurco. They generally have 24" on the X axis which is about 6" more than the BP (why I bought mine). The knee mills like the smb line were widely sold and parts are still available. They weigh a little more than the BP series 1 machines, and are a little bit more flexible in what they can do. On the downside, the BP seems like a more industrial machine, bigger ball screws, coolant lip on the table, and a few other things. The hurco does have a built in coolant pump, and an adjustable ram. The hurcos seem to go a little cheaper without the bp name.

Comment

I just measured mine. 85" without the power drawbar and 94" with the drawbar. Mines a NMTB #30 QC spindle with the pneumatic drawbar on top so it's taller than some. It's also a Rigid Ram (highly recommended) which is taller and much more stout than the V-ram.

Comment

I made my old horse nod its head down when I moved it in. Once in, I tipped her head back up.

-click photo for larger photo-

rock-
                    Civil engineers build targets, Mechanical engineers build weapons.

Comment

Working...
                    X