Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [b]Linked projects or A.D.D?[/b]

Dear Abby,

It seems all my projects are "linked". Or, do I have Attention Deposite Disorder?

1. I want to make a headstock tool to allow me to thread on the lathe using hand power. To do that I need to be able to slit a reverse collett so a bolt will expand it inside the quill. BUT , I have to make an arbor to hold the one slitting saw blade that I own for the mill.

2. I want to make a taper attachment for my lathe BUT first I need to make the lathe mounts. (see next Item 3)

3. I want to make some lathe mounts for a taper atttacchment. The stock I'm working is much too long and needs cut. BUT I have to make a jig to align my bandsaw blades so I can clamp them down and braze them to fit my 4X6 horizontal bandsaw. BUT , first I have to make a tap jig to align the taps so I won't break them off.

4. I want to mount a battery tender on my ATV. BUT first I'd like to come up with some way to elevate the ATV on a workbench as I can't work on my hands and knees.

5. I'd like to make a simple jig to bend many pieces of EMT tubing to specific set up. BUT first I need to make some 1" thick aluminum mandrels. BUT first I need to make a radius cutting attachment for my lathe.

6. (I'm going to spare you the "boring bar" delima as it's just full of BUTs)

Do you think I have ADD or do you think I'm just paying my dues as a home shop machinist? If the latter, how pricey is this hobby? BUT before you answer all that, how the hell old are you anyway? Have seen your column for 50 years and your picture never changes?

Your's truly,
    Baffled in Buffalo
    Last edited by Your Old Dog; 12-03-2006, 07:07 AM.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Originally posted by Your Old Dog
    Dear Abby,

How long do you have to have a home shop before you can just start working on a project instead of having to do something else first in order to finish the project? It seems all my projects are "linked". Or, do I have Attention Deposite Disorder?

1. I want to make a headstock tool to allow me to thread on the lathe using hand power. To do that I need to be able to slit a reverse collett so a bolt will expand it inside the quill. BUT , I have to make an arbor to hold the one slitting saw blade that I own for the mill.
    Use a hacksaw.

2. I want to make a taper attachment for my lathe BUT first I need to make the lathe mounts. (see next Item 3)
    Use your boring head. See earlier thread

3. I want to make some lathe mounts for a taper atttacchment. The stock I'm working is much too long and needs cut. BUT I have to make a jig to align my bandsaw blades so I can clamp them down and braze them to fit my 4X6 horizontal bandsaw. BUT , first I have to make a tap jig to align the taps so I won't break them off.
    Same answer as 1

4. I want to mount a battery tender on my ATV. BUT first I'd like to come up with some way to elevate the ATV on a workbench as I can't work on my hands and knees.
    Dig a pit or park it next to a ditch.

5. I'd like to make a simple jig to bend many pieces of EMT tubing to specific set up. BUT first I need to make some 1" thick aluminum mandrels. BUT first I need to make a radius cutting attachment for my lathe.
    Use the boring head again.

6. (I'm going to spare you the "boring bar" delima as it's just full of BUTs)
    You are not supposed to use a boring head for boring, only taper turning and radius turning

Do you think I have ADD or do you think I'm just paying my dues as a home shop machinist? If the latter, how pricey is this hobby? BUT before you answer all that, how the hell old are you anyway? Have seen your column for 50 years and your picture never changes?
    No I think you should read more old posts, nothing is new, including my photo

Your's truly,
    Baffled in Buffalo
    Truly yours
    Nackered in Nottingham

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Was gonna turn a valve and stem for a little hit&miss project I was putting together,--- needed a fresh, small, sharp HSS lathe bit for the small size. Go to the grinder, -- and think, --I have GOT to stop and make that pivoting table for the wheel face---go to cut a piece of plate for the table and -- think-- I have GOT to stop and see why my saw has been cutting at angles-- go to the drill press and think-- I have GOT to do something about this worn out DP-------etc,etc, etc......

I think it was something like 5 months later that I finally turned that little valve....
      If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something........

Comment

Oh yeah, been there! Botched installing my QTCP (yeah I'm a noob), gotta make a new one, BUT wait I need the lathe for that, gotta install the old one first, BUT I don't have any tools ground (now where did they go... I think my bench eats them), BUT the grinder's not set up like I like it, BUT I forgot to mount the other grinder, BUT I need a mount for it, BUT I don't have any metal, so off to Home Depot (very close, much more than metal shop) for that one piddly part that will forge everything else together. My problems usually end up with me deciding that I need one bolt that I can't make cause I need that one bolt to make it, a vicious cycle.
        You never learn anything by doing it right.

Comment

Wow, does this sound familiar!

Originally posted by Bill Pace
          Was gonna turn a valve and stem for a little hit&miss project I was putting together,--- needed a fresh, small, sharp HSS lathe bit for the small size. Go to the grinder, -- and think, --I have GOT to stop and make that pivoting table for the wheel face---go to cut a piece of plate for the table and -- think-- I have GOT to stop and see why my saw has been cutting at angles-- go to the drill press and think-- I have GOT to do something about this worn out DP-------etc,etc, etc......

I think it was something like 5 months later that I finally turned that little valve....
          Russ
          Master Floor Sweeper

Comment

My shop, grossly overcrowded, was in a mess because I'd shunted everything to one side to get the big lathe out, & I'm still waiting for the replacement to arrive.
            I'd got problems with my surface grinder, I'm sure it was fixable but hadn't got around to looking at it, it was still just about useable. A more modern grinder comes up on ebay, I put in a token bid 'just in case'. I only win the damn thing, which is bigger than the old one and 150 miles away. It has to be collected on a particular day, only a week away. Need the trailer. Trailer is in my father's garage, with a cincinnati no2 T&C grinder sitting in it, waiting for after the new lathe is installed.
            One and a half days for two of us moving machines & junk so I can unload the cincy & put it where it belongs. Then another whole day getting the new surface grinder in, as it was stuffed in the doorway & blocking everything. It was too big to slip through the gap the old one came out of, so had to take the table & electrical box off.
            By now the slot the old lathe came out of is completely full (how did that happen? ), plus I've got jobs piling up which need the new one. A local guy had promised to bring it down & unload it with his forklift, trouble is his small forklift is out on hire & the access won't allow his big one. No sign of the small stacker coming back any time soon.
            I'm going to have to borrow a customer's trailer to bring it down, and find a way to unload it, 2.5 tons, without the stacker. Trouble is, the customer's trailer has 1 1/2 tons of engine in it. My next job is to take that engine out & install it in his boat. Can't finish the installation without the big lathe......

Tim

Comment

Originally posted by Timleech
              I'd got problems with my surface grinder, ........... I put in a token bid 'just in case'. I only win the damn thing, .........
              You ain't getting any of my hard earned pity. You got not one but two surface grinders. I'm still trying to decide which wheel to put on my Sears and Rawbuck 6" Grand Deluxe Craftsman Pedstal Grinder. Ever try to true up a turning with a Sears and Rawbuck 6" Grand Deluxe Craftsman Pedstal Grinder?? I should have your problems!

Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Originally posted by Your Old Dog
                You ain't getting any of my hard earned pity. You got not one but two surface grinders.
                Not for long.
                Sold the old one, warts and all, to the piano tuner

Tim

Comment

This song from childhood comes to mind all the time,

There's a Hole in the Bucket

(Boys)
                  There's a hole in the bucket, dear Liza, dear Liza,
                  There's a hole in the bucket, dear Liza, a hole.

(Girls)
                  So fix it dear Henry, dear Henry, dear Henry,
                  So fix it dear Henry, dear Henry, fix it.

With what should I fix it, dear Liza, dear Liza,
                  With what should I fix it, dear Liza, with what?

With straw, dear Henry, dear Henry, dear Henry,
                  With straw, dear Henry, dear Henry, with straw.

But the straw is too long, dear Liza, dear Liza,
                  The straw is too long, dear Liza, too long.

So cut it dear Henry, dear Henry, dear Henry,
                  So cut it dear Henry, dear Henry, cut it!

With what should I cut it, dear Liza, dear Liza,
                  With what should I cut it, dear Liza, with what?

Use the hatchet, dear Henry, dear Henry, dear Henry,
                  Use the hatchet, dear Henry, the hatchet.

But the hatchet's too dull, dear Liza, dear Liza,
                  The hatchet's too dull, dear Liza, too dull.

So, sharpen it, dear Henry, dear Henry, dear Henry,
                  So sharpen it dear Henry, dear Henry, sharpen it!

With what should I sharpen it, dear Liza, dear Liza,
                  With what should I sharpen, dear Liza, with what?

Use the stone, dear Henry, dear Henry, dear Henry,
                  Use the stone, dear Henry, dear Henry, the stone.

But the stone is too dry, dear Liza, dear Liza,
                  The stone is too dry, dear Liza, too dry.

So wet it, dear Henry, dear Henry, dear Henry,
                  So wet it dear Henry, dear Henry, wet it.

With what should I wet it, dear Liza, dear Liza,
                  With what should I wet it, dear Liza, with what?

With water, dear Henry, dear Henry, dear Henry,
                  With water, dear Henry, dear Henry, water.

With what should I carry it, dear Liza, dear Liza,
                  With what should I carry it dear Liza, with what?

Use the bucket dear Henry, dear Henry, dear Henry,
                  Use the bucket, dear Henry, dear Henry, the bucket!

There's a hole in the bucket, dear Liza, dear Liza,
                  There's a hole in the bucket, dear Liza, a hole.

Comment

YourOldDog, I think there are just 2 types of HSMs ... those who get it done and those who ponder getting it done.

Those in the former category have a vehicle, aircraft, boat or water machine, snow machine, weapon, etc. etc. waiting for them to fix or mod ... NOW ... and they do it however they can.

Those in the latter category occasionally break out of it just long enough to get something done and justify having metalworking machines to their wives or girlfriends

Years back, I used to ponder about woodworking projects ... how to join these pieces, how to finish that piece, etc. Then along came Norm Abrams and the New Yankee workshop. Norm would just cut it, drive some screws into it under power, slap a plug into the screw hole and then sand the pi$$ out of it.

Whenever I ponder for too long, I just think of Norm.

Den

Comment

Dewat, I used to really admire Harry Belafonte but then he went political on me!

Nheng, I'm pretty familiar with Norm. Watch him do dovetails with a 50hp dovetail machine! I do them almost as fast by hand and you don't need no screws, plugs, American Carpenter (plastic wood) or special tools except good chisels!!

I'm proud to report I ready to start brazing bandsaw blades as the jig is finished. That should pave the way for a few more projects until I come up against the next block in the road.

Comment

Just remember (First things First ) Be prepeared, Get you shop in order First. Then build one project at a time. Finish one then start another . Between projects Fix every thing that is broken are not working right.
                        Every Mans Work Is A Portrait of Him Self
                        http://sites.google.com/site/machinistsite/TWO-BUDDIES
                        http://s178.photobucket.com/user/lan...?sort=3&page=1

Comment

Originally posted by lane
                          Just remember (First things First ) Be prepeared, Get you shop in order First. Then build one project at a time. Finish one then start another . Between projects Fix every thing that is broken are not working right.
                          OK, which planet are you on?

Tim

Comment

Working...
                          X