christmas puzzle gift.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• christmas puzzle gift.

Made this today for a gift for family member.It is a fun little puzzle that looks neat sitting on the desk.Easy to make.Only used the mics a couple of times to make it.

Sorry there are no drawings.Well there is one but you would laugh when you saw it. : )
    Jim

How about some pics of the individual parts, it is hard to visualize what they look like when it is all assembled.

Comment

Looks neat. I gave my son one like it years ago made of plastic.
      Russ
      Master Floor Sweeper

Comment

I promise never ever to laugh if I see the drawing never !
        Mogens Kilde
        http://m_kilde.skysite.dk/

Comment

JKing, share the wealth! perfect timing for a drawing before christmas and no one will laugh, well mostly no one. come on, post the drawing
          in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Ok.I took a couple pics while making them.Thought about submiting it to the mag but I am no writer.Feel free to do so.The sizes change depending what you use for stock.Super easy.Fig the hyp on the cross section.that is the width for the 2 90 deg cuts.Times 2 and gives you the oal of what you need.The rest is cutting 45 deg to edge.The best thing is all 6 pieces are the same!Set up and run them over and over and over.Ok you get it.
            It is a good practice on setups.Not too bad but gets you scratching.I bet there are 5 people that do this and there will be 5 different setups.If you need help let me know but it is really simple.

Ok Dont laugh..
            Last edited by j king; 12-10-2006, 07:01 PM.

Comment

That looks very cool. Could you please post one more pic of the pieces on a non reflective surface and oriented in different directions?

I think I have it. They are made from square stock. I can't be quite sure of the end treatment.
              Last edited by Evan; 12-10-2006, 07:21 PM.
              Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Thats it.Battery dead on camera.

Comment

Here's a link to some that I made last year. I made them out of 1/2 inch stock, so the dimensions are half. A couple of pictures show the fixture I used.

http://www.d1ulookin4.com/pictures/t...ls.php?album=4

Here's a drawing of the diagonal burr.

The actual dimensions I used are a little under that. I started with 1/2 inch extruded and surfaced it down to about 0.480. I kept the 1.414 overall length, which didn't seem to affect the points much. I did two versions, which you can see from the one picture. One version has the clipped corners, which gives the "star" effect. The other one just had the two angle cuts.

Do any of you have any ideas on how to anodize these on all surfaces? I've only seen how to anodize where there is at least a small spot that won't get finished.

thanks,
                  -Eric
                  Last edited by d1ulookin4; 12-10-2006, 10:00 PM.

Comment

Id hate to get hit in the head with that thing...

Comment

For those that are interested in Burr puzzles: 'The Puzzling World of Polyhedral Dissections' by Stewart T. Coffin. http://www.johnrausch.com/PuzzlingWorld/default.htm
                      This CD has provided many puzzles for my pleasure. YMMV
                      John Burchett
                      in Byng OK
                      John Burchett
                      in Byng OK

Comment

Getting hit in the head... The one I keep at my desk was cut very tight, it wouldn't even go together until I polished it, that one would hurt. The others, I tried to keep 0.005 - 0.010 tolerance, they would probably fall apart if they hit you on a point.

You're supposed to put them together by assembling two halves out of three pieces each, then slip the halves together. (sorry for the plot spoiler) The first one I made was sloppy enough that you could assemble it piece by piece and sneak the last one in. That one would probably fall apart when it left your hand.

-Eric

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer
                          Id hate to get hit in the head with that thing...
                          ...or sit on it!
                          Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
                          ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

Erics drawing looks a little better than mine.I copied these from a wood puzzle I saw.I figured I was the only one strange enough to make one out of metal. : )
                            I think the smaller ones would be way faster to make.

Comment

Here's another one I did a couple weeks ago. Copied from the same Stewart Coffin Puzzle Craft.

-Eric

Comment

Working...
                              X