Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decalcomania paper

Anyone tried this stuff? http://decalpaper.com/

$30 shipping for 20 sheets of paper worth $15 seems pretty steep.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Compared to commercial custom decals it's relatively cheap, and of course you print on every possible square inch to minimize waste. It won't matter though if the decals don't have lasting power. I'm curious because I have a very old air compressor and the original decal badge is damaged beyond repair but I can get a gif image of the original, so for a restoration it's not a bad expenditure.

I also have a very old Schwinn bicycle I'd like to restore with original decals and they're no longer available but the artwork is.

And a picture of my mighty darn good looking wife if I don't say so myself on the Harley gas tank would be a nice touch, too

Then there's all that arts and crafts stuff a person could do with copper sheeting, glass, etc. Second surface clock faces, frinstance. It is interesting in the same way that a good vinyl cutting plotter is interesting.

I also think it's a minor thing to create sheets of gelatin or gluten film and print to them, but one thing at a time

Comment

And a picture of my mighty darn good looking wife if I don't say so myself on the Harley gas tank would be a nice touch, too
        Hmm, in what "attire"? Post a pic?

Seriously, the paper is reasonably priced but why the $30 dollar charge for international shipping when all they have to do is slip it in a mailer envelope?

Comment

Have Used the same type paper from the local computer paperson at the flea market have to spray coat it with clear fixative ect. than move it off the paper or carrier backing. Most office big box store carry two types for printers ink jet and laser. in clear and white background. If you what a small er /cheape pile to play with. Here is the start of Micro marks section on the web 0from 5 sheets up.http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares...tment&ID=106:D
          Glen
          Been there, probably broke it, doing that!
          I am not a lawyer, and never played one on TV!
          All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or the suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

Comment

What could be used to apply over the top of the decals for protection from scratching.
            I'd like to use these for the front panels of electronic equipment, and there is a constant finger rubbing around knobs and switches.

Tom M.

(is it OK to use the term "finger rubbing" in this groop?)

Comment

The stuff I bought at the flea market to coat the paper is made up of Xylene 1330-20-7,propylne glycol methyl ether acetate 108-65-6, acetone 76-64-1 and propelant. I don't know for sure but it sounds like any good quailty clear spary sealer like krylon. You can see the stuff at the web site in my other post above. And at one of the office supply bog boxes had some spray stuff to use with the paper they sold and the bumper sticker paper make sure it has a UV stabilizer it it as most ink jet inks fade in a couple months. As they aren't made for direct outside use.
              Glen
              All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or the suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

Comment

If it is to be used outside then there is only one inkjet that will do the job. Epson has archival quality inks based on pigments instead of dyes that will hold up for at least 10 years in outside conditions. Ordinary inkjet inks will be lucky to last weeks.
                Last edited by Evan; 12-13-2006, 11:37 AM.

Comment

I was wondering if the inks used for photos has better lasting quality. I know there was quite a push to have environmentally safe inks a while back but there's definitely a downside to printing documents that fade in a short time.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
                    Hmm, in what "attire"? Post a pic?

Seriously, the paper is reasonably priced but why the $30 dollar charge for international shipping when all they have to do is slip it in a mailer envelope?
                    I have to agree - I think that's their way of saying US buyers, only. That happened to be the first (and very recognizable) link I found when searching it out so before I buy I'll probably try to find a local supplier of similar paper. I'd like to see if my HP pen plotter will work with it.

Comment

This is one I made on an inkjet. When slid off the backing the colors become very transparent and it will not last outside at all. (This ones still on the backing) If your going to go to the bother, I would use the lazer paper. And a UV fixative.

Gene

Comment

If you have the art work and evrything to proint hunt up a local sign shop/print shop that does the phot printing on vinyl and cuts it out. they have UV inks and clear and almost any color background vinyl. Some of the big box office supply stores do it. If you want one or two of them and to have them last. That's the way to go. You only have to have the files in a format that they can down load.
                        Glen

Comment

Working...
                        X