Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clausing 5400 or 6300 vs 5900

Hi all
    I am looking to get some opinions on the earlier Clausing lathes the model 6300 or 5400? How do these compare to the newer 5900 model. What should I look out for, should I wait for a good 5900. How does everyone like the hydraulic variable speed on the 5900 versus the mechanical variable speed on the older machines.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    thanks
    george

Never used a 6300 or 5400, but I like my 5914 even after forking over the cash ($730!) for a new motor pulley (this one has the hydraulic vari-speed drive).

It seems that there are a lot more 5900-series lathes listed on eBay than 6300's or 5400's. That may mean that there were a lot more of them sold, which might mean that parts availability is better for the 5900-series. I do know that Clausing was able to sell me all the parts I needed and the motor pulley was the only one that had me gasping for breath, price-wise.

Accessories are hard to come by, though. I've been looking for a steady rest, follower rest, and taper attachment for mine for about 9 months now without much luck.

You might want to visit the Yahoo Clausing group and browse the archives there. Also try searching Google Groups - lots of posts on the rec.crafts.metalworking newsgroup concerning Clausing lathes.

Mike, near Chicago
    Mike Henry near Chicago

Comment

I have had a Clausing 5913 since 1974 and have used it hard. I like it very much. During this time period i have had a leblond and a couple of south bends as well. Since my 5913 is very well tooled including a turrent tail stock as well as a standard tail stock, collets etc i sold off my other lathes. Paul

Comment

Thanks for the help - I will probably concentrate on the 5900 series. What is a reasonable price for one?
        george

Comment

gja,

Price depends on a lot of factors, including condition, tooling, and geographical location. Here in the Chicago area, I'd expect to pay $1500-2500 for one in very good condition with at least a basic set of tooling (3-jaw & 4-jaw chucks, tailstock, centers, faceplate, toolpost & tool holders). Harder to find accesories like the steady & follower rests, milling attachment, coolant system, toolpost grinder, bed turret & turret tooling, production cross slide, taper attachment, 5C collet closer & collets, carriage stop, clutch kickout, etc. can increase the value, depending on how much you need/want them.

Mike, near Chicago
          Mike Henry near Chicago

Comment

Thanks Mike

Comment

Working...
            X