Die filer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Die filer

After having little luck finding a good used one I have elected to built my own.I intend to use a right angle speed reducer for the base of the machine along with a ballbearing eccentric.My question is how fast do the commercial rigs run as far as strokes per minute?I want to make mine variable speed but don't know what to use as a base spm.
    I just need one more tool,just one!

My old plain vanilla Oliver runs about 150 RPM.

Comment

Recently there was a plan for one in HSM or MW, not sure which as my back issues are out in the barn and I am not. I have been thinking about making one for my son-in-law to use in piano restorations.

------------------
      Paul G.
      Paul G.

Comment

Andy Lofquist of Metal Lathe Accessories has a die filing kit for sale.

http://www.statecollegecentral.com/m...he/MLA-18.html

In my experience, his kits are top quality.
        ----------
        Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
        Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
        Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
        There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
        Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
        Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

I have machined one of Lofquist's die filers and it is a very smooth running machine. I am running it at about 400 RPM.

Comment

Hey guys! Do any of you have a supplier for files for these machines.I haven't had much luck finding files.Do you make your own? Jim

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jbucko:
              Hey guys! Do any of you have a supplier for files for these machines.I haven't had much luck finding files.Do you make your own? Jim </font>

Comment

Federal File, 3354 Winbrook Dr., Memphis, Tenn, 38116. [email protected].

Not cheap,about $15 a copy. I've often wondered if you could make a clamp to grab the non-handle end of a conventional file and attach the clamp to the machine. Knock the tang off for safety.
                George

Comment

The instructions that come with the Lofquist die filer include instructions for making your own from less expensive files. Easy and effective.

Comment

McMaster-Carr and MSC has them look for parallel machine files
                    I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

wierdscience,

This site might be of some interest to you.

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/ub...ML/000183.html

Joe

Comment

Working...
                      X