Custom stainless tubing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom stainless tubing

I am fixing to bore and sleeve some brake cylinders on my old forklift and needed some 1-1/16" OD stainless tubing to make the sleeves.Only problem was I couldn't find any.

So what I did was buy some 1" OD x .043" wall seamless tubing and some 1" bearing balls.I cut a length of tubing off a little longer than the bore of the cylinder,swiped some grease in the end and used the arbor press and a deepwell socket to shove the ball through the tubing.

It worked slick,nice shiney .999" bore and a 1.078" OD.Now I can bore the cylinders,stick the tube on a mandrel and turn the od to fit the bored hole.Ther'es more than one way to cheat at poker
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Their is a name for that .It is called ball sizing . So now you know.Been their done that.
    Every Mans Work Is A Portrait of Him Self
    http://sites.google.com/site/machinistsite/TWO-BUDDIES
    http://s178.photobucket.com/user/lan...?sort=3&page=1

Comment

Originally posted by lane
      Their is a name for that .It is called ball sizing . So now you know.Been their done that.
      Actually it's called swaging,BTDT too

Comment

Well whatever it's called it sounded like a "trick to remember" to me!

SP

Comment

Shoving your ball through a steel tube with a press- sounds, well----painful
          I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

For that reason you always borrow someone elses balls for a project like that.

Comment

Did it work harden, do you need to anneal it before machining?

Ian
              All of the gear, no idea...

Comment

Originally posted by Ian B
                Did it work harden, do you need to anneal it before machining?

Ian
                No and no,it's still soft gooey stainless.Looks like it will work great,sadly I won't be able to finish it untill next year.

Comment

Working...
                X