Snow model engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snow model engine

I am thinking about building the Snow model engine that is currently in H.S.M, sorry if I did not put in enough information and it was not real clear when I posted the other day. However I got the information that I needed on the radius of .190 thanks. As of now both pedestals have been machined, drilled and threaded, and the holding fixture "A" has been built. I am not having any luck yet locating the leaded steel for the cylinder, I need 1.38" dia. X 6" long and 2.25" dia. X 6" long. Maybe someone can enlighten me on where I can purchase this. I am not set up to post pictures of the progress. Thanks

Originally posted by waterworkshoss
    I am not having any luck yet locating the leaded steel for the cylinder, I need 1.38" dia. X 6" long and 2.25" dia. X 6" long. Maybe someone can enlighten me on where I can purchase this.
    Hi,

You're looking for "12L14", which is leaded, or "Free Machinining" steel. Industrial Metals and Speedy Metals carry it, and there are lots of drops on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=180063342146

Good luck!

Robert
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

waterworkshoss,
      I am also planning on building the Snow engine. I plan to start on it after Christmas.
      If you have never machined 12L14 before you will enjoy it. It machines very nice.

If you email me any pictures you have I can post them for you.
      [email protected]
      Mark Hockett

Comment

Another good source for materials in less than 20' lengths is McMaster Carr; www.mcmaster.com

They offer a wide selection of materials and grades, reasonable prices (not always the cheapest, but what they list is readily available), and fast delivery.

One thing to note is many dimensions in the build articles are merely a result of rounding nominal fractional dimensions. The 0.19 is 3/16" as previously mentioned, 0.38 is 3/8", etc.

The Snow engine is an ambitious project, but it is not something you will see every day. Good luck with it.
        Jim H.

Comment

Mark, sent you an e mail with picture thanks for the info.

Comment

this is the only picture that I have that is good Thanks waterworkshoss

I posted this for waterworkshoss, These are not my parts but I wish they were.

Mark Hockett
            Mark Hockett

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Hockett
              I posted this for waterworkshoss, These are not my parts but I wish they were.
              I haven't read through the Snow article yet (it looks gorgeous!), but the part on the left looks like an expanding mandrel? Is that a specialized fixture you need to build?
              "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

lazlo, just a guess but I think that the expanding mandrel is for lapping the cylinder(s). Lapping compound is smeared on it and it is run in the lathe through the bore, then expanded, then repeat. It makes a very accurate sized hole and great surface finish.

Andrew

PS. Cant find a picture of this Snow model engine, and I dont yet subscribe to any machining magazines.
                Andrew

Comment

Hsm Nov/dec 06 Snow Engine

Here's the cover.

The article.
                  Les H.
                  The Impossible Takes Just A Little Bit Longer!

Comment

Yes, the mandrel on the left is a holding fixture to hold the cylinders while you turn and face them. Two cylinders are required for this engine and they need to be identical. I have not started on the cylinder assemblies yet but have located the leaded steel that is recommended. Thanks for the information on the steel. The two cylinders will require a lot of machining and 32 tapped holes. It should be fun and a good learning experience.

Comment

Cyl and Case

I have turned, bored and brased both Cyl for the Snow that I buliding I used cold rolled because I had it in stock. I need to hone the bores to size. Then start on all the facing and holes... I have come up with 2 problems so far.
                      1. is a source for the poly seals and
                      2. the sator distributor any Ideas?????

It's going to a fun little engine

Scott

Comment

snow engine dist.

I call "Mike" at mjnfabrication today and he said dist are no problem!! he has some in stock.

Scott

Comment

Water and Scott -- post some pictures!

I'd love to try the Snow, but I've got so many other projects on my Tuit list...

Comment

Originally posted by lazlo
                            Water and Scott -- post some pictures!

I'd love to try the Snow, but I've got so many other projects on my Tuit list...
                            Here is a link to a YAHOO group of builders of the Snow Engine.
                            I Started the group a while back. Any and everyone with an interest is welcome to job and toss in thier 2 cents worth!!

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Snowtandemengine/

Scott

Comment

I'm going to build the Snow engine. It looks like a nice challenge and a very interesting project.
                              I'm just looking over some of the plans and what I have for material on hand. The plans call for 12l14 steel cylinders and the same material for the cyl case. Then the cylinder is to be brazed to the case which forms the mounting surface for the other parts and the water jacket.
                              Well I have no problem with those plans. But I don't happen to have 12l14 in 2.25" diam or any steel for that matter in that size. I do have plenty of 6061 aluminum in that size.
                              I don't see a problem with using leaded steel for the cyl and 6061 for the case and using high strength Loctite in place of brazing. It would also do away with any distortion issues from the heat and the case could be buffed to a high sheen or a nice satin brushed finish.
                              What I would do is to make a light press fit of cyl to case. Groove the cyl on the outer diameter at both ends slightly. Insert the cyl into the case which would have injection holes to fill the grooves on the cyl. Inject the loctite through the case which would fill the grooves on the cyl and lock and seal it to the 6061 case. It'll handle well over 400'F and this engine is water cooled.
                              Aluminum engine blocks with iron sleeves are of course common.
                              However I'm not sure if I might be missing an important reason NOT to build it this way.
                              Any thoughts?
                              Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X