No announcement yet.

Geared head lathes versus pulleys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

if we are voting, i go with the weird one. Thats pretty well the history as I was taught or learned some place.
    Steve

Comment

Yup, something like that. A pretty interesting read is, "One Good Turn, A Comprehensive History of the Screw". No kidding, it actually is interesting. (If I recall, the original idea was that one friend bet a journalist friend of his, that he couldn't possibly write anything interesting about something so dull. Journalist won.)

Anyway, covers the reason behind their invention, (Anybody know?) the master screwmaker's trade and eventually automated means of manufacture.

Enjoy.

Comment

Talking about engineering metal to make designs, how many of you have been looking at holtzapfel and what he did look at the rose engine and also ornamental turning lathe work which totally fsascinates me.This type of work was carried out mostly by the aristocracy as Holtzapffels lathes were all made to order and also all numbered and registered and it is easy for historians to look up and see who bought them in the first place .Complete rose engines and ornamental lathes which do much more than engine turning are very polular and there are a number of ornamental woodturning clubs springing up, as this ancient art form becomes revived once again.This was not always done in metal or indeed wood,ornamental turning in other materials Ivory was very popular but of course that is now impossible ( for all the right reasons)at the time. Please look up ornamental turning and find out more it is totally fascnating and was very polular even with members of the royal households and a few Kings were very proficiant ornamental lathe turners ,I have one volume of Holzapffels at home, which are reprinted and still on sale.Some of his lathes are very collectable and change hands for many thousands especially if complete with all different cutting heads and tools.Alistair
        Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Any of you guys ever heard where the term "threads" came from in the first place?Well if not here goes-I was told that in the old days a machinist would wrap a fine thread around the part being threaded and then step off the pitch with a pair of dividers,then he would apply machinists blue over the thread and let it dry,then by peeling the thread off the part he would have a helix layout line to guide his chisel by.I once tried this on a piece of brass with a hand held tool,it was a fun experiment, you could actually make a few light initial cuts to the line and then increase the cut as it progressed,you could also hurry or lag in the cut to adjust the lead.I was suprised how good my first attempt at this was ,I turned a 3/4"10 tpi thread and with little trouble made a decent thread that actually fit pretty good.I don't think I will give up my quick change anytime soon though,but it was a fun experiment and also it really made me appreciate the talent and skill of or forefathers.
          I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

so what is a "gap bed" lathe?

Comment

azcycles:
              so what is a "gap bed" lathe?

A waste of money - for the most part. It is a feeble attempt at having a larger throw on you lathe by removing a section of the lathe bed below the chuck so larger work can be swung on the lathe.

Except on high end old lathes, this is not done properly and removing the section often causes misaglignment of the lathe.

[This message has been edited by Thrud (edited 03-17-2003).]

Comment

thanks for the info.

I'm learning everyday. sometimes it's best just to spout a question out rather than be puzzled by it for long.

I'm trying to learn all I can before buying any equipment. Plus I'm looking for someone who can give me advice, as i stated in the post in the "networking" forum

Comment

Okay, (having never crashed a gear head lathe)if there's a belt drive to the gearbox on a gear-head lathe and you crash the tool or overload the spindle why won't the belt slip just like on a belt driven lathe?

Comment

abn, I think that the motor speed is much quicker than the spindle speed, and therefore, there's less torque requirement from the belt and pullys, and less possibility of it slipping. Also, you don't want it to slip in normal use, so the belt's tension would be significant. I'm not sure what you mean, the belt doesn't slip if you jam the spindle- what have you observed, the motor stalling? If not, and the belt's not slipping, then something has to be giving- maybe there's a slip clutch built in to the gearbox. ?? The other factor, of course, is the belt a toothed belt, that stays linked to the 'teeth' on the pullys?

[This message has been edited by darryl (edited 03-18-2003).]
                    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Working...
                    X