Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Machinists' Christmas Present: (dial-up warning.)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Machinists' Christmas Present: (dial-up warning.)

About seven hours over two nights:

(Cont'd next post.)
    Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

(Cont'd next post)

Comment

(Cont'd yet again.)

Comment

(Cont'd one more time.)

Comment

Doc.

Comment

Nice, I bet it is alot louder now.

Comment

Nice work, but I would prefer the longer Bbl.

Whats next rounding the butt?

Comment

Great work, good photography....

Great work, great photography, might I suggest next time you jot down some notes and send the pics to our hosts magazine and be published.
                James Kilroy

Comment

Nice firearm, S&W 686 .357 I presume. I used to have a Ruger Security Six in all black with Pachmayr rubber grips. Nice piece too. The only thing I didn't like about it was that my wife was better with it than me. I don't care for the snub nose much, you give up too much velocity for the sake of a couple of inches.
                  Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Next we need to see a picture of the muzzle blast in the dark.
                    Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
                    ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

DAMN NICE work Doc. I assume there was not a snub barrel available. I really like it, and very good photo's. I love guns, it's the machine work and detail that I like about them. You are a true craftsman Doc.
                      It's only ink and paper

Comment

Some day I hope to be good enough to tackle a job like that, but it'll have to be on one of the Rugers, I traded my Smith 686 in on a Dake press. Everybody made out on that deal.

Comment

Beautiful work Doc. Let us know how it shoots.

Comment

Louder: Probably, but so? You're supposed to be wearing ear protection when you shoot, so the noise level is irrelevant. If I was that worried, I'd shoot CB caps.

The gun was shortened to make it a bit easier (and a touch lighter) to carry for bear protection. (This is Alaska, people get et when they think bears is cute n' fuzzly.) If/when it's fired in that situation, noise level is going to be the least of ones' worries.

Rounding the butt: Actually, yes. It's a K-frame square butt, which is basically the same as the round butt except for some sharper corners. The grips will be identical, but the rounding will shave off about two more ounces.

Velocity: The difference between the 6" and the 2-1/2" (this one's 3") is less than 10%. While that's a noteworthy loss numerically, in the real world it's insignificant. It's intended as a close-range bear gun, and while .357 is marginal at best already, it's intended that the gun be light enough to actually carry, rather than so heavy (like the big S&W 500s) that one tends to leave it back at camp.

Snub barrel availability: Actually, that 2-1/2" barrel in the first couple of photos is a factory piece. But it was decided against partly because of the garishly large lettering stamped heavily in the sides (three times larger than the lettering on the stock barrel) and partly because it would have also required altering the extractor rod.

Cutting down the stock 6" barrel into a 3" was a good compromise.

Muzzle blast photo: Not a bad idea. I might have to try and arrange that.

How does it shoot: Don't know yet. Likely it won't be impressively accurate, but the stock 2-1/2" version I had myself many years ago could easily keep all six shots inside a palm's width at 25 yards offhand. Might have been better if I sandbagged it, but really, that's plenty accurate for what's essentially a gun intended for close-range, last-ditch oh god I'm gonna die! use.

Doc.

Comment

I thought that extractor pocket looked too small in those first shots.

Very nice work Doc, well beyond my capability. But wouldn't it have been easier to cut it off and use the back part, then recrown and add a site? I know there is a reason, I'm just missing it.

As for carry guns, I'm rather partial to my SP101 with Hogues, but it's a 5 shot unlike my 6" GP100, all in 357 Mag.
                              Russ
                              Master Floor Sweeper

Comment

Working...
                              X