Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kennyd4110
    Paul,
    Thanks for the compliments. Yes, just K1 and a scotchbrite pad for the rust removal, and a whole lotta rubbing!

I am using the "Tractor & Implement" enamel from TSC (Tractor Supply Company). Ford Gray is the color. And yes, I am using a brush and the little mini rollers from Home Depot. If it was spring, I probably would have sprayed it (at least the large peices) with my HVLP turbine setup outside. I have had good luck with this paint before, that's why I chose to use it for this.

It's my pleasure to help any way I can...
    Thanks Ken, I'll look into that paint, I like the look of it. Did you use a primer? There's a TSC not too far from me in Washington, NJ. I too have a turbine HVLP setup (Wagner) and have had great success with it painting a couple of old Farmalls. Based upon your choice of paint, perhaps you have some experience with an old Ford 8 or 9N?

Comment

Originally posted by CCWKen
      Wow, I went back looking for the post of my restoration. I didn't realize it's been so long ago. (March, 06). Here's the link. I hope the pictures still show up. I guess time does fly when you're having fun.

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=15726

Thanks for the link Ken. Beautiful job! Your comments made me chuckle . . . I went through the same thought "logic" with a Farmall tractor . . . went to clean the hood, and ended up with little more than the skeleton intact. But it is the only way to do it right.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul_NJ
        Thanks Ken, I'll look into that paint, I like the look of it. Did you use a primer? There's a TSC not too far from me in Washington, NJ. I too have a turbine HVLP setup (Wagner) and have had great success with it painting a couple of old Farmalls. Based upon your choice of paint, perhaps you have some experience with an old Ford 8 or 9N?

Paul,
        I did not use primer, because I figured when the hot chips and oil start flying the primer would do little to save the paint job! So I tried to keep this project in perspective...this machine will get used, the paint will get chipped and scratched, ect. I just wanted it to look decent and be sure it was mechanically sound before I started learning on it.

I have mainly used my AccuSpray turbine for spraying pre-catalyzed clear lacquer's for woodworking projects. I did paint a old seeder/aerator for the tractor with it once using the TSC JD Green with the enamel hardener added, and it turned out OK, but I think I needed a larger tip size for the enamel to get a better looking job.

No Ford tractors here, I have a newer JD 4110, and would like have an old A or B model to fix up one day when I have extra time and money

Comment

Working...
        X