Suggestion for HSM publishers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestion for HSM publishers

I see the same questions being asked, over and over. Mostly the same questions I asked when I first logged on here. People have moved off, have less time, do not take the time to post.

Perhaps, taking all the posts after they reach a number in inquiries (meaning interest) and publishing them in a magazine, little editing to do, (remove the curse words) and let it fly. Delete it from the server if you like, it is in hard copy. Sell the hard copy. THIS is knowledge, Lots from experts, some from arm chair experts, some is real, other fabrications to boost personal ego. Anyways the readers are smart enough to use it or not. PUBLISH the authors name as the source. Once uploaded it becomes the property of HSM.

Pictures: well I notice using Photobucket, people dump thier old photos once it "no longer interests them" to keep them on there. YOU LOSE. OLD posts LOSE. just a lil red X. SO? this forum needs pictures storage, once uploaded it becomes the property of Village press ? NOW the posts on ? politics of course can't be used, but even the jokes published in a magazine would generate interest.

I gotta go, the meanest man I have ever worked for is me. Cruel, won't let me take a break.
    Excuse me, I farted.

Mr. Cofer's idea has merit

Mr. Cofer's idea, as usual, is a good one. (Merry Christmas David) Maybe a regular column in the magazine titled "From The Forum" with some choice bits every issue? This would also point more users to the forum as well, also a good thing. His secondary idea about providing hosting for pics is also a good one. Once someone uploads them to you're sever, they are you're property, something to think about. Maybe a little check box on the photo upload page would make the user agree to terms before uploading.
    James Kilroy

Comment

A couple of car magazines have 'from the forum' columns. I think it's a pretty neat idea...you can see people you 'know' in print and also have a small chance of being there yourself.

-James

Comment

It can't be done legally without a great deal of trouble. Postings here are automatically copyright of the poster and permission would be needed from every single poster to republish the posting. Copyright exists from the moment a writing is made and the medium or the fact that it is public does nothing to change that. There is no implicit assumption that placing a writing in a public place also places it in the public domain. That must be done explicity by the author.
        Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Has this subject come up before? Once again, David is on the money - I like the idea, too.

As for the legalities. (man, lawyers really annoy me sometimes.) What about some mention in the user agreement when you sign up here? Existing users get a message sent to them that has to be acknowledged before the user can post any more?

I know Evan is probably right, but consider this: Once you post here, what reasonable expectation can you have? For all you know, it's copied onto the backup of VP's server, copied onto the numerous hard drives of the membership, printed out on thousands of inkjet printers all over the world, etc. Linux is specifically licensed to be free for all, yet there's no problem with organizations or companies putting together a Linux "package", burning cdroms, and charging for them. Why not Village Press?

I know I could dutifully search the archives and make PDFs or printouts of all the threads I like, but I'd be willing to pay Village Press to do it for me and provide it in a handy magazine-type format, like the readers tips books.

As it is now, the closest thing we can have would be like so: Personally, I'd search the archives from time to time. Look for postings from certain users or on certain topics. Print the good stuff to a file that includes the images. Give the file a descriptive name that includes the date so you know how "current" the thread was when printed. Internet Explorer lets you bookmark stuff and save all content locally, including links (which would cover the pictures). Once again, though, the problem is staying up to date, and it's a lot of work. If VP did it once and sold a bunch of copies, it would be a more efficient solution.

Lastly, just to poke Evan with a stick... Suppose VP publishes thread(s) in a "Best Of" type of deal. Some greedy contributor to the thread tries to sue VP for "profiting" from the poster's words. How is this different from CNN "profiting" by broadcasting the image and words of someone who makes news?

Happy holidays David and all of the rest of you. David, perhaps you can tell the boss to "ease off of [your] back...just a bit"? (-Will Smith, as J, Men In Black) Take care.

-Mark
          The curse of having precise measuring tools is being able to actually see how imperfect everything is.

Comment

I don't know how they do it, but like James said, there are car magazines with "from the forum" sections. Sometimes they are pretty useful, sometimes not.

Comment

Ditto

...might I also ad, I wish HSM and other periodicals were available in an electronic version.
              I realize the issue seems to be with advertisers and $$$ since they don't want people to "share" instead of purchasing a subsription.
              I had planned on scanning and saving issues/articles that I wanted to keep for future reference, but my scanner decided to die just as I was getting started. I fear that by the time I decide on a replacement, it will be a chore to catch up especially with the text conversion and verification.
              This bring up another issue though since I would also have to run some sort of text recognition program in order to make my file searchable and ease the proces of grouping them under subfiles to ease the search.

Comment

We actually talked about a "From the Forum" addition to Reader's Forum a while ago. It was just an informal thing, and kind of forgotten, but its a thought worth revisiting. I don't think obtaining permission to reprint posts would be too hard, just an email sent to the poster asking to reprint, much like I did with the Tipsbooks. If anyone says no thanks, we can just take theirs out. Something to think about, I suppose.

As for the permanent photo storage, we just don't have the capacity. It takes up a lot of space.

Comment

Hi Craig..

Snuck out of the shop.

Yeah, beautiful day here, 62 degrees F... Hard to work in the shop. I have to bring everything I need more light on outside. I am assembling the flamecutter and "hand fitting" the parts.. that sucks.. I need a belt sander. It's on the list. Being a construction worker most my life, I still love the outdoors.

Most photo-posting on websites is done by a third party. OR redirection to a hosting site. Or a addressable drive on a network and linked back to. The php site and the photo site is seperate. That is usually done to keep the corruption down. Memory is cheap, hard drives, I bought a 200 gig for $120 here a week or two, even put it into a usb external case. A rack of them, and you'd be in business. Plus, rooting it out clean at regular intervals and offering it on cdrom and copy. You got it, people buy it. Thrud alone added tons of wisdom here.

Did the readers tips do anygood at all financially? Ya'll giving them to contributing people was kinda a nice gesture, but a money loser. I managed to let my subscription run out.. Plenty of other things on my mind and that was not on the top of the list.
                  Excuse me, I farted.

Comment

Lastly, just to poke Evan with a stick... Suppose VP publishes thread(s) in a "Best Of" type of deal. Some greedy contributor to the thread tries to sue VP for "profiting" from the poster's words. How is this different from CNN "profiting" by broadcasting the image and words of someone who makes news?
                    News reporting is a special case. When somebody makes a statement in front of a news camera they implicitly consent to having it rebroadcast. You would be surprised though how far those rights do not extend. Property owners of unique buildings have successfully sued people who have taken pictures of those properties to use in publications, postcards etc even though the pictures were taken from public land.

When you see people in the movies if any of them are shown in a manner that makes it possible to recognize them in the movie the production company must have a signed model release for every person. Again, documentaries have special status as news.

I think the idea is a good one and if VP wants to pursue it it shouldn't be hard to obtain permission from current posters. The problem arises when using material where the poster cannot be contacted.

Comment

Could not the forum owner add a clause in the registration agreement stating all posts become public domain. Or some similar legal drubble.

It would not work for current users but would for future members.

Maybe could even make a script for current users before they can post again they have to agree to the above drubble...JRouche
                      My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Could not the forum owner add a clause in the registration agreement stating all posts become public domain. Or some similar legal drubble.
                        That doesn't work. For something to become public domain it must be explicitly stated by the author that it is public domain. Each post is a different "work" and each must be placed in the public domain separately.

I know this all sounds incredibly nit-picky but it is the law that publishers live and die by. In order to make the posts here available for use without asking permission it would be necessary to agree to a clause when registering that assigns Village Press blanket rights to anything you post here. In effect, you would have to agree to turn over your copyright in anything and everything, including photos, to Village Press.

There is even some question if that sort of waiver of your rights is even legally enforceable in this situation as there would be no actual signed agreement. "Click through" agreements are not nearly as strong as a normal contract and have been highly restricted by case law in the US and Canada. In order to be valid non-acceptance must result in refusal to use the resource offered.

There are other limitations placed on click through agreements and a major limitation is that they are not binding except in the stated jurisdiction. This means that such an agreement would have no validity outside the USA for members from other countries and may not be valid outside the state where Village Press is incorporated.

Comment

Gas Engine Magazine (a publication for collectors of antique engines) had a column for a long time titled, "From the Internet", written/compiled by Helen French of England. She belongs to both [email protected] and [email protected], would capture interesting threads and compile them into a column for the magazine. The column was usually of the format, "Here's what the folks on the forums discussed on this particular topic".

I'll ask her what was done about copyright issues.

Comment

Just like anything else, you can find a thousand reasons "NOT TO DO" something.

Not to go to church,
                            Not to comb your hair
                            Not to mow the lawn
                            Not to get off the computer and go to the shop
                            Not to change the oil in the auto,
                            So here we sit, watching the mindless dribble on tele.

Not to publish good ideas where they are soon lost, and hunted and requested once again by different people wanting to learn the same thing.

Of course, OhoJim and others there on ebay, He has the old book reprints for sale. In a few years you might be able to buy the information from him. He has had two dozen reprints of old Home shop machinists stories on there over the years. Good info, people can't find it, so they buy it.. from someone who didn't write it, nor publish it, just got it for sale.

I printed out bothe the topics on Tips from here, My copy was a lot thicker than Vp's copy.. Gotta check into that.. Perhaps I should sell old internet stories on there too? Whoo hoo.. start my own publishing company. Isn't that called Plagurism? what is the word? Didn't Martin Luther King get a Doctorate degree on plagurized works? the professors later said it would do society "no good" to strip him of his title. They let him keep it, you know, just like OhoJim cashes them checks.
                            Excuse me, I farted.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
                              In order to make the posts here available for use without asking permission it would be necessary to agree to a clause when registering that assigns Village Press blanket rights to anything you post here.

I thought that was what I was saying?

For the limited amount of writings they would want to use it may be easier to just ask for permission individually.

Heres a pole....Who here is gonna sue VP if they use yer post? I didnt think so

But...we do get some wacky individuals run through here sometimes. Runnin through here, off their meds, actin crazy and threatening to leave forever Ha, LOL...

What was his name? Jerry somthin or another...Something common like Smith or something...

Those are the loons that would attempt a suit... JRouche
                              My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Working...
                              X