Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nheng
    replied
    Lazlo, I hate to disagree but I believe the 2 main ingredients to 5C alignment are the 5C taper and the register area toward the rear of the collet (whose diameter and tolerance Hardinge is sorta tight lipped about).

I would check the spindle taper for any nicks or dents. You can put bluing on the spindle adapter, place it in the spindle by hand firmly and then pull it out, checking to see where the blue rubbed off. You may need to very carefully use a round stone ONLY on the area of the nick or dent. It might be a good idea to search for less agressive methods. Remember that you want to touch ONLY the damaged area, if any.

Whenever I install my 5C adapter, I insert it into the spindle taper and indicate the 5C taper. I then gently tap it in as needed to coax it by a few tenths if necessary.

AFAIR, Hardinge TIR for standard accuracy is 0.0004" and "special accuracy" versions are 0.0002"

Den
    Last edited by nheng; 12-30-2006, 06:13 PM.

Leave a comment:

• lazlo
    replied
    Originally posted by krems
    I took a pin guage and put it in one of my collets and it showed .002" difference from high to low or +/- .001" ....Is this normal
    No, that's not normal! You're getting a TIR of 0.002". Good collets are spec'd with a total runout of 2 tenths.

The first step would be to determine if most of the runout is in the collet, or in the chuck/closer.

The Royal 5C lever closers (which I'm guessing you have on your Clausing) have a large bearing at the back. When the bearing
    goes bad, you'll get really bad runout. Another potential problem is if the previous owner didn't take the time to properly fit the closer nut to the back of the spindle.
    Last edited by lazlo; 12-30-2006, 03:12 PM.

Leave a comment:

• krems
    started a topic Royal 5C collets...accuracy??

Royal 5C collets...accuracy??

I have a 13" clausing lathe w/ a 4 1/2mt spindle. Included w/ the lathe is the collet closing attachments. My lathe is set up for the 5C collets. I have a few of the Royal 5c collets. Mhat kind of accuracy should I expect when turning rounds in the collets. I took a pin guage and put it in one of my collets and it showed .002" difference from high to low or +/- .001" ....Is this normal or should I expect the collet closing system to be more precise than this?

Anyway to true up the collet closing system..???

Thanks in advance......Krems
Working...
X