Evan!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evan!

So...how does it feel to be "retired"? Must have been a bit tough shutting the door for the last time.
    Hmmm ...I'm pretty sure there won't be any moss growing on you for awhile anyway
    Russ
    I have tools I don't even know I own...

I'm betting he's relieved. I also think he's probobly going to be busier than when he wasn't retired.

Comment

Moss

May start growin in places you never would of guessed. LOL Congrats Evan

Comment

Yeah, it was a bit strange closing up for the last time.

I've been in there for 9 years with no more than about 10 days off in that time. I have a lot of customers crying on my shoulder trying to convince me to not close or at least work out of my basement. No deal except I will honor whatever warranties I have outstanding until they expire.

It is wierd. I have been in the direct customer service business for the last 32 years. All of that included explaining how to use high tech equipment to people with no clue. I don't mind that at all and am pretty good at it.

Now I can concentrate on the things that I have been putting off for a long time. I have no shortage of things to keep me busy if that's what I want. I will also have more time to more closely manage some of my investments and might get into a bit of day trading.

Right now I have tons of stuff to rearrange around the house. I have some very nice work benches and shelving from the shop as well as other cool furniture. We are in the process now of figuring out how to redistribute all the crap we have collected to accomodate the changes. Basically, I get downstairs in the daylight basement and my wife gets upstairs. We share the kitchen, livingroom and bedroom.

All said and done including the garage I will end up with around 1000 sq ft of shop space of one sort or another including the library/computer room.

We also each have a new laptop on a swivel arm at each of our chairs in the living room. I also bought myself a couple of cool toys for Christmas, a Zire 22 Palm PDA and a Palm TX PDA with bluetooth keyboard. That will give me something to play with when the FMS gets the better of me some days and I can't move around too much. I really overdid it this week with all the moving of stuff and am paying for it today and the next couple of days.
        Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Evan, congratulations on your retirement. As another thread mentioned, hope we can see that CNC mill finished soon Den

Comment

It's high on the list but the redistribution of junk comes first. I also have a court case to attend for a while as a witness in a dispute over alleged racism. It will be in front of the Human Rights Tribunal in Provincial Supreme Court and this will occupy some of my time for a bit. I will be testifying as a friend of the court for the accused parties. I can't say more about that now.

Comment

Is racism illegal in Canada?

Comment

Promoting hatred of an identifiable ethnic group is illegal.

Comment

So it would not be racism to "hate everyone"??

Okay, you made the leap, when do you start your "greeter" job at Wal Mart?

Ha.. My health has retired me for a bit. I keep hoping to push some more money into retirement.
                  Excuse me, I farted.

Comment

Wish I were retiring. Hope it is as great as I think it will be. Happy New Year. Fred

Comment

Evan - Enjoy - Retirement is GREAT, wish I had done it years ago. Unfortunately I retired in August 2005 and broke my leg (motorcycle) in October 2005 (Very bad planning). 14 months on and I still don't feel able to attend the dance classes SWMBO would like us to share, so I just have to idle away the hours in the workshop (Such a shame, I would really like to learn how to dance !).
                      Mark
                      What you say & what people hear is not always the same thing.
                      www.remark.me.uk

Comment

My wife says "yeah, sure..."

Okay, you made the leap, when do you start your "greeter" job at Wal Mart?
                        They have to build one here first. It's in process but they recently found that the site they had selected is geotechnically unstable. I think I'll find something else to do although I do know half the people in this town.

We have a big box grocery type store here, Great Canadian Wholesale Club and they have "reverse greeters" that are supposed to inspect your groceries and compare them to your receipt when you leave. I always just walk right by them without stopping and they have learned not to try either. Go ahead, make my day and try to accost me...

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
                          We also each have a new laptop on a swivel arm at each of our chairs in the living room.
                          Evan, when you get to feeling better maybe you could post a pic or a link (if the arm is commercial made) of this? I'd be interested in seeing something like this as an alternative to sitting in an office chair at traditional desk. I've just never been able to get comfortable with the whole balance the laptop on your legs while laying on the sofa or in bed deal. And, my 22", 70 pound CRT monitor is hell on my knees while sitting on the throne and computing.

Best of luck with your retirement!

Wayne

Comment

Friend has a bumper sticker"Watchout!I'm Retireded"

Hope you enjoy your retirement,although 1,000 sq/ft isn't nearly enough.
                            I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Wayne,

The arm for my wife's laptop is a commercial monitor arm. It works well and is very sturdy.

Mine is a bit simpler and is just a piece of 1/2" cold rolled welded to a bracket and screwed to a piece of pine shelving. The support clamp is a cast metal clamp and not plastic. It is quite secure and I have used it for a long time.

Comment

Working...
                              X