Tungsten Alloys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tungsten Alloys

A poster on another board I frequent is thinking about getting tungsten carbide wedding rings is a bit concerned about the rings shattering easily and wants to know what kind of alloy they should look for in a ring. All I know about tungsten carbide alloys is that some of them are nearly indestructible and others are not, but I've no idea which alloy is which. Any recommendations?

Also, there's a wide variation in prices on websites for rings of the same style. One site will sell a ring for $50, while another site has an identical ring for $250. Any idea as to what could be causing the disparity in prices?

Maybe better look at titanium alloys?
    G11 Ti is commonly used in jewellery, anodizes in some magnificent peacock colours.
    Rgds, Lin
    Just got my head together
    now my body's falling apart

Comment

Just out of curiosity, and not to disparage anyone's personal whims...but why would anyone want a tungsten carbide wedding ring?
      ----------
      Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
      Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
      Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
      There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
      Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
      Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

Tell him to forget it. Tungsten carbide alloys are cemented alloys using cobalt as a binder. Cobalt is highly toxic.
        Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Originally posted by SGW
          Just out of curiosity, and not to disparage anyone's personal whims...but why would anyone want a tungsten carbide wedding ring?
          For one of these lovely ladies.

http://www.yesbutnobutyes.com/archiv...p_ten_sex.html
          Gene

Comment

Kinda my point, in a gentle way Evan.
            Maybe mistook W for Ti?
            Don't think pure tungsten is toxic (?) but cemented carbides certainly are.
            Dunno why you'd want a tungsten ring either. There are much denser metals.
            Uranium, plutonium........

BTW, hope retirement brings you joy and peace.
            Rgds, Lin

Comment

Tungsten is actually slightly denser than uranium. Still, what's wrong with platinum?
              Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

I just did a quick web search for "tungsten carbide ring." Allegedly, they use a tungsten carbide alloy that doesn't contain cobalt. At least some of them claim to.
                It sure wouldn't be my thing. I see no artistry in them, but I guess there is no accounting for taste.
                ----------
                There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
                Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.

Comment

Nuthin at all wrong with platinum. Even in today's market, it's still gotta be cheaper than plutonium.
                  Mind you, if it's a question of density, Pb at 82, Pt at 78?

Comment

Funky Wedding Rings

A couple of my wife's friends had a pair made out of meteorite material. Whatever floats your boat, I guess.

If either partner is suspected of "getting around" you could make them out of brass. Even if they took it off the green stain would be a dead giveaway.
                    Jim (KB4IVH)

Only fools abuse their tools.

Comment

Hell, pretty soon the wedding ceremony will include a vet with a "chip" needle

Comment

Originally posted by SGW
                        A.) It's cheap. B.) It's tough as all get out and they're rough on jewelry C.) They're heavier than titanium, and thus they know when they've got it on and it hasn't slipped off.

So, I guess I'll tell them that Henny Youngman's not happy with their choice.

Comment

I machined mine out of 303. Held up pretty good, course 2.8 years later I don't need it anymore...

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
                            Tell him to forget it. Tungsten carbide alloys are cemented alloys using cobalt as a binder. Cobalt is highly toxic.
                            Uh, no.

Tungsten carbide wedding rings are very trendy these days.

http://www.oromi.com/cat_wrbo/cat_di...+Wedding+Rings
                            http://www.e-weddingbands.com/store/tungsten_rings.html
                            http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=230072615144

Where did you get the idea that cobalt was toxic? Cobalt is an essential element in humans, as a constituent of vitamin B12.

http://www.epa.gov/ttnatw01/hlthef/cobalt.html

Human studies are inconclusive regarding inhalation exposure to cobalt and cancer, and the one available oral study did not report a correlation between cobalt in the drinking water and cancer deaths. EPA has not classified cobalt for carcinogenicity.
                            "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

See http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npg/npgd0647.html
                              ----------

Comment

Working...
                              X