Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7 x 12 Lathe vs 9x19 price comparison

Guys:
    New years day I had some friends over. They are in the process of moving out of state. The guys wife is talking about buying him a lathe for next christmas.She is thinking a 7x12 or the like.
    I did a price comparison for kicks and giggles with the two lathes from grizzly.The 9x19 is mostly complete with tooling the only thing missing is a drill chuck and actual cutting bits. The 7x on the other hand does not have a follow rest , live center , a 4 jaw chuck or a 3mt center for the head stock. So by the time you get these missing items from little machine shop or the like the difference in cost is less than $180 and if you have to pay shipping on the parts the difference is even less. The 9x19 has a quick change gear box and more elbow room and stiffness. The 7 x does have the advantage of infinite variable speed. and both machines work better with shop built upgrades.So unless your budget is only $600 the 9x19 is the way to go.
    Normal disclaimers I have no afiliation with either company. I have purchased from both and been happy with the items and service. FYI Caveat Emptor.
    Regards
    Tin Falcon
    Ad maiorem dei gloriam - Ad vitam paramus

Buy the 9x19 from HF and the difference may be even smaller as they regularly seem to have it on sale. I bought my mini-mill from them and had no regrets. I would likely not buy a larger lathe from them, however. I think there is less variation in quality from one vendor to another on the cheaper stuff.

Still, there are some rigidity issues with the 9x lathe that are often addressed by the folks who own them by making a new top slide. I think they lack a reverse as well, but that is not a huge issue in my estimation if you have a threading dial....or is it...I think there may be some threads that you cannot cut while disengaging and re-engaging the feed (metric?)

Some of the caveats are documented on the web as I recall....I think there are some links from mini-lathe.com unless things have changed.

As a disclaimer, I never owned the 9x, and still own the Grizzly 7x14 in spite of buying a much larger lathe.
    Paul Carpenter
    Mapleton, IL

Comment

The 9x20 class machines are bad news from a rigidity standpoint, but the 9x30 and 8x14 machines are completely different and work well out of the box. They're basically copies of the Emco Compact 8 lathes.

Lathemaster sells these for $750. There may be others available elsewhere.

Best,

BW
      ---------------------------------------------------

http://www.cnccookbook.com/index.htm
      Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:
      http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html

Comment

Originally posted by BobWarfield
        The 9x20 class machines are bad news from a rigidity standpoint, but the 9x30 and 8x14 machines are completely different and work well out of the box. They're basically copies of the Emco Compact 8 lathes.
        Tin, I 100% agree with Bob. I have played with both the 7x12 and 9x20 in a harbor freight store, and in my opinion my 8x14 is far superior. The following link shows a side by side comparison of the specifications. http://www.annisquamgranite.com/lathecomparo.htm

The 8x14 is a simpler lathe, only 6 speeds, and no quick change gear box, but it is as heavy (read more rigid) as the larger 9x20.
        -Dan S.
        dans-hobbies.com

Comment

I recently purchased a Grizzly G4000 9 X 19 Lathe
          As far as ridigity goes I did make a 4 bolt clamp for the compound to replace the 2 stock 2 bolt clamp. Other than that it is a pretty solid little lathe.
          I chose it over the HF because it came with the 4 jaw chuck. For the price difference you couldn't buy a 4 jaw. It cuts just fine, and threads great!
          This mixer needle for a hit-n-miss engine I'm restoring was made on the Grizzly

Rick
          Home Model Engine Machinist

Comment

Grizzly has upped the ante it seems in this general size range

Forty plus years and I still have ten toes, ten fingers and both eyes. I must be doing something right.

Comment

Originally posted by Spin Doctor
              Grizzly has upped the ante it seems in this general size range
              You got me all excited, then i noticed it still has the weak compound design.
              -Dan S.
              dans-hobbies.com

Comment

That looks like the 10x24 Seig lathe, which runs about $1000 last I looked.

Comment

Except for the color,the the Grizzly 10x22 is indentical to this one http://www.kingcanada.com/Products.htm?CD=116&ID=2369 sold by King Tools in Canada for the last four or five years.
                  Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                  Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

I think they go under the name Warco in the UK .Alistair
                    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Originally posted by Rex
                      That looks like the 10x24 Seig lathe, which runs about $1000 last I looked.
                      Note I said size not price. Actually there was a group buy through the Lathemaster Yahoo Group last year IIRC. They were able to get a general break on price but you were on your own as far as shipping went I think. Actually Grizzly has been advertising some much nicer looking lathes on their web site lately in the 10 and 12 inch swing area. The 12x36 Gunsmiths lathe actually looks pretty nice although it is over 2-1/2 times the cost of the 10x24. Big enough bore to be useful, D5 instead of the D4 on the 12x24/36 Gearheads and a speed range that gets low enough for most

http://www.grizzly.com/products/G4003G

And no I am no I am not shilling for Grizzly. It just seems that they are pushing to get some better equipment in their range. Now if they could just sell a 5K version of the Deckel
                      Forty plus years and I still have ten toes, ten fingers and both eyes. I must be doing something right.

Comment

The 7x is IMO a better finished lathe than the 9x. I own both.
                        In many ways the 7x will outperform the 9x if both are left unmodified.
                        If one is willing to put a little time into the 9x it can be made into a pretty nice machine. If that is out of the question and the parts to be made are small, I would say the 7x is the better choice for a beginner.
                        I have made 8 rib automotive supercharger pulleys, pneumatic solenoid valves, 400psi alcohol injection nozzles etc with the little 7x.
                        But the 9x has the capacity for larger parts especially if improved.
                        My 9x is now so far removed from it's factory state it is hardly even comparable.
                        I added ball bearings almost everywhere, reverse tumbler, deletion of the lousy worm feed,a 2:1 geared reduction cross slide drive( my favorite mod), double belts/pulleys for low range, 1hp 3phase VFD etc.
                        Now it's a nice machine IMO and I have a lot of fun using it.
                        It does make a nice machine in which to modify. Out of the box it is REALLY crude but with a few minor mods it is not to bad.
                        That newer grizzly looks like a nice choice though for this price range.
                        Steve

Comment

SJH - Question on VFD for 8x12

I have a HF 8x12 and am considering a VFD with 3 phase motor...

Could you tell me the make/model/source/cost of the VFD and 1 HP motor you used ?

How much modification did you have to do to get the motor to fit ?

Thanks,
                          Plasmadude

Comment

I'm using a 1hp 120volt 1 phase input to 240 volt 3 phase output GS2 inverter drive from automationdirect.com and a Marathon 1 hp Nema 56 frame "Micromax" 3phase inverter duty motor with 4000rpm max speed from the same source. 375$ total. It was a holiday gift from my loving wife of 22 years.
                            Wiring so simple a cavemen like me could handle it. The Nema 56 frame Micro max motor bolted up directly to the 9x lathe mounts without any mods and a .004" sleeve for the motor shaft fit the 16mm stock pulley was all that was needed.
                            I had it all setup in a few hours.
                            I went from 6 preset speeds of 130,300,400,600,1000,2000 rpm, to an infinite range between 20rpm-4600rpm with this setup with smoothness and adjustability that is hard to describe.
                            Amazing are these modern electronics.

Steve

Comment

Working...
                            X