Making a custom carriage stop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making a custom carriage stop

I’m getting ready to make a custom Carriage stop for my lathe (pictured below), and I’m debating what to make it out of. I have been bouncing between class 40 iron, 6061-T6, and 7075-T6. The ways are induction hardened, so I don’t have to worry about damaging them, unless I use something really hard. I will be using a milling attachment, so no matter what I chose; I will be taking small cuts.

If it was up to use, what material would you use?

-Dan S.
    dans-hobbies.com

I surely would not disparage your design, but I would beg a question if I may.

Rather than what appears to be a setscrew type retainer for the indicator, why not a horizontal slit with a vertical screw for a clamp.

It seems it less clamping force for a larger area (over the body) as opposed to a point pressure clamp from the setscrew.

Just curious. It's a real pretty drawing, easily understood.

Comment

Does it have to be metal would hardened nylon work?? if not even mild steel would not harm the ways.Try incorporating a micrometer into it perhaps for extra fine adjustment.Alistair
      Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

I made a "micrometer" stop a couple of moths ago from 1018 CRS. (only thing I had as I started it on a Sunday) Used a piece of 1/2 -20 all thread rod for the spindle, made the dial from 1018 also. Its only off .001 over 1 revolution (.050) of the dial. Not bad for CRS and threaded rod. I use an old set of gage blocks with it most of the time so the micrometer function is not that important. 1018 CRS steel will work fine.

Comment

Dan:
          Nice drawing. One feature I like about the one on my south bend is the positioning set screw on top. It is mostly clamped on by a nut and stud on the botom . but the srew on the top allows it to be easily moved. As for material what is available in your stock bin.
          Tin
          Ad maiorem dei gloriam - Ad vitam paramus

Comment

Mine was made very similar to the one picutured, but with pinch slot. It is 6061-t6 and works rather well, but has no micrometer built in.
            Russ
            Master Floor Sweeper

Comment

Just made a similar gadget to clamp on a home/limit switch for my lathe CNC conversion:

You could do a split clamp like Dirt Dobber suggests. Mine won't be moving much, so I just wanted it quick and easy. It was and works great. For this application, I am clamping to the rear, so it's rectangular back there. A split clamp would work better if you're on the prismatic ways.

Best,

BW
              ---------------------------------------------------

http://www.cnccookbook.com/index.htm
              Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:
              http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html

Comment

Aluminum should be fine. I see no reason to use 7075 though.

This one can use a stop rod, an indicator, or a depth micrometer as a stop:

Comment

Joel's looks almost identical to mine in design, right down to the pin to alight the cantilever clamp. Only diff is mine is locked from the top and uses the split/clamp retention for indicator/rod.
                  Russ
                  Master Floor Sweeper

Comment

DirtDobber,

I initially considered the slit method, but once I got everything laid out, it didn’t feel like I had enough meat. I’m hoping a soft brass tipped set screw, will have enough clamping pressure to hold the indicator in place with out damaging it. The sliding stop will be a 3/8” HSS reamer blank, so I can torque down on that with no problem.

Joel,

I don’t have any stock large enough (2.5” x 1.25” x 1.575” finished), so I need to pick some up, and if you surf EBay, you can get 7075 for almost the same price as 6061. When I did a quick cost comparison cast iron was the cheapest, then 7075, and then 6061, when I considered delivery costs.
                    -Dan S.
                    dans-hobbies.com

Comment

I posted this one I did a while back on the "other board". It clamps using a retractable eccentric pin. A quick twist of the knob will lock it and if you pull the knob the whole thing can be lifted away.

Last edited by daryl bane; 01-03-2007, 11:22 PM.

Comment

I've posted this somewhere before, maybe here...... just another variety for more idea jogging

Keep eye on ball.
                        Hashim Khan

Comment

Done the deed

Originally posted by daryl bane
                          I posted this one I did a while back on the "other board". It clamps using a retractable eccentric pin. A quick twist of the knob will lock it and if you pull the knob the whole thing can be lifted away.
                          Daryl,

That’s a real work of art, is that painted, or blackened steel?

I did the deed, and picked up a chunk of 7075 big enough to make 3 or 4 stops (EBay). Hopefully I won't mess up on the first one, so I can use the leftover stock for future projects.
                          -Dan S.
                          dans-hobbies.com

Comment

Actually, hard black anodizing. Since it is a dial indicator holder and not really a hard stop, aluminum works just fine.

Comment

For a micrometer stop, buy a cheap micrometer at HF for under $5. You can cut the curved part off and turn the barrel OD to fit your bracket.
                              I like J Tiers idea of making the DI and Mic interchangeable

Comment

Working...
                              X