Ebay working for you again!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ebay working for you again!

An important part of any business strategy is the regular evaluation of pricing structure. From time to time, we make pricing changes to correct unhealthy dynamics in the eBay marketplace, as was the case last July. Typically, however, we make changes on an annual basis at the beginning of the year.

Today, I'm here to tell you about fee adjustments for eBay.com and eBay Motors which go into effect on January 30, 2007.
    Let me say that, while we believe these changes are modest, we consider any changes that may impact our sellers with great care. These adjustments are the result of careful analysis and we believe they're the right thing to do to keep the marketplace strong for our eBay.com and eBay Motors sellers.

How do they make it sound so nice while bending you over a barrel and lubing you with a salt water slush? "Careful analysis"? "Right thing to do"? All "FOR" the benefit of the sellers. Yea, right.

It's so nice of them to raise my costs over 14% in six months. Wow! What a benefit I'm getting. And a kiss on the cheek too.

Unless you're not passing along the fees that increase is levied against the bidder/purchaser. Same thing happens when business taxes go up.

Comment

Not in this case, unless it's a "buy it now". For an auction, the high bidder pays what the high bid happens to be. So increased fees come right out of the sellers profits. I suppose you could work it into the "shipping and handling", but the way people react to extras in that category, I doubt that would be an effective business decision.
      Russ
      Master Floor Sweeper

Comment

You mention you are passing ebay fees onto the buyer? they cancel your ad.. and you do not get a refund.
        Excuse me, I farted.

Comment

steamed and reamed

ThieveBay and gayPal have continued to jack pricing every year.
          They are the same company. You are reamed from both the buggers.

Thievebay stock is down 25% from 1 year ago and they are only worried about keeping investors happy. Their lack of reputation for enforcement of their so called "bid is a contract", pi$$poor shippers who can't correctly pad a tampon without damage; it goes on and on.

Many sellers particularly in the industrial categories now openly refuse PP due to the fees. Some sellers say that for PP acceptance add 3% to total. I had not heard of any ad cancellation due to that previously and would be interested to hear of it first hand; someone that's had it happen to them with the listing as demonstration.

Its quite easy to "pad" your listing; simply never mention it. The terms are all stated up front, at least in most cases. If not, steer clear!

May they RIP (rot in pieces).
          I give it up quite a while back except for the occasional petty thingy.

Comment

Originally posted by BadDog
            Not in this case, unless it's a "buy it now". For an auction, the high bidder pays what the high bid happens to be. So increased fees come right out of the sellers profits. I suppose you could work it into the "shipping and handling", but the way people react to extras in that category, I doubt that would be an effective business decision.
            That's what I do with every sale I've done. It is added as a "handling fee", just like a buyers premium at a live auction.

When I buy something from eBay I expect the seller to include said fees in his final price. I expect it as part of regular business practices. Anyone in business should always add this to their "retail" pricing, otherwise you lose your profits.

Now on the other hand, eBay doing such a drastic raise in their fee structure in a short period of time is not such a good business practice. They should have anticipated these increases much earlier and made small incremental changes over a longer period of time rather than sudden large ones. Gradual change is accepted much better.
            No matter where you go, there you are!

Hal C.

Comment

Originally posted by David E Cofer
              You mention you are passing ebay fees onto the buyer? they cancel your ad.. and you do not get a refund.
              Very true, but if you want to get around it, charge the ever-popular "handling fees".

Looks like eBay has gotten too big for their britches. We're (going?) back to square one, where you don't know who you're dealing with but you're paying a premium for the priviledge. Used to be there were good deals on fleabay all the time, but those are now few and far between. Look for craigslist to horn in, I hope.

So where are we going to find good used machinery now?

-Mark
              The curse of having precise measuring tools is being able to actually see how imperfect everything is.

Comment

Originally posted by DirtDobber
                Some sellers say that for PP acceptance add 3% to total. I had not heard of any ad cancellation due to that previously and would be interested to hear of it first hand; someone that's had it happen to them with the listing as demonstration.
                Ebay has a specific policy against it but like any other listing policy, a complaint from a reader is usually necessary to get the ad pulled. Ebay doesn't do much policing on their own. If someone complains about it, they will sometimes do something about it.

From a seller standpoint, it's difficult to include the extra costs because it's an auction. Of course, one could bump the starting price up or list with a reserve but these also add to the cost of a listing. I've generally had pretty good results with listing with a buy-it-now and including shipping. As long as it fits in one of the flat rate boxes, I can pin down my costs.

Also note that the increase doesn't effect Stores. I think Ebay is trying to get more to switch to Store listings as there's a monthly fee. There will be gripping for a while but all you'll see is the price of goods creeping up and the complaints will subside. Just like the price of gas.

Comment

If you want to establish a profit baseline you need to set a reserve to the amount you need to achieve that profit. That's how retail works. If there is a market for what you're selling at the price you're asking then it will sell. If not then you're going to eat it. That too is how retail works. Just because the item is listed on ebay does not mean market forces quit working.

Comment

Originally posted by Wirecutter

So where are we going to find good used machinery now?

-Mark
                    http://www.homeworkshop.org.uk/

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Listen I used to add ebay fees then ebay barred me for 2 months it is no joke you could disguise it what we need is an alternative to ebay that thinks more of its customers the seller rather than the buyers Alistair
                      Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Originally posted by Alistair Hosie
                        Listen I used to add ebay fees then ebay barred me for 2 months it is no joke you could disguise it what we need is an alternative to ebay that thinks more of its customers the seller rather than the buyers Alistair
                        Huh? I thought that's what we had now. At least that's my perspective as a buyer. Can't leave negative feedback without retaliation no matter how much the seller deserves it, and no recourse either. Just keeping buyer and seller total/categorized feedback listed/viewable separate would be an improvement, though there should be some way to eliminate the retaliation. Not to mention any number of other complaints that constantly surface such as lack of response to shill evidence, seller not following through or substituting, and so on; unless they become so painfully blatant and clumsy that they can’t be ignored (at least for big sellers, small timers get pinched much more quickly).

Guess they can't make everyone (anyone?) happy...
                        Russ
                        Master Floor Sweeper

Comment

Originally posted by John Stevenson
                          Unfortunately for us Yanks, shipping is prohibitively high from the UK.

I bid on a robot toy that weighed about 1.5 lbs. and when I found out shipping was going to be over $35, I had to plead with the guy to let me off the hook. Amazingly he left me with a positive feedback. He was a real class act.
                          No matter where you go, there you are!

Hal C.

Comment

Ups

Originally posted by halac
                            Unfortunately for us Yanks, shipping is prohibitively high from the UK.

I bid on a robot toy that weighed about 1.5 lbs. and when I found out shipping was going to be over $35, I had to plead with the guy to let me off the hook. Amazingly he left me with a positive feedback. He was a real class act.
                            I recall reading somewhere, perhaps an email from UPS, but they are bumping shipping fees up, high enough that I really now will do about anything to avoid shipping by UPS. I find the USPS Priority Mail and the Flat Rate boxes a real bargain. I see lots of stuff on eBay UK but I don't purchase because of the shipping costs. What happed to "free" trade, the shipping company's took care of that!!
                            Retired - Journeyman Refrigeration Pipefitter - Master Electrician - Fine Line Automation CNC 4x4 Router

Comment

we make pricing changes to correct unhealthy dynamics in the eBay marketplace
                              "unhealthy dynamics in the marketplace"

Now that is rich!

I can just see myself explaining a price increase to my customers using a line like that... sheesh

Comment

Working...
                              X