X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• torker
    replied
    Originally posted by YankeeMetallic
    I wonder if the Japanese Mitutoyo Fans cringed like this when some of the Mitutoyo "V" blocks started coming out of Brazil?
    I ordered a pair of Mitutoyo V Blocks off of E-Bay last year. When I got them they were stamped "Mitutoyo Made in Brazil". I thought WTF!? Although they were excellent quality.
    I bought a 1" Mitutoyo mic....brand new in 1975. Was made in Brazil. It's stood up well in all those years.
    Russ

Leave a comment:

• nheng
    replied
    Originally posted by BillH
    I wouldn't worry about Brazil quality, look at Imbel, they make some very nice firearms.
    And I wouldn't worry as much about Brazilian product under Japanese QC as opposed to Asian product under bean counting US QC.

There is a trend in consumer products as well that pi$$e$ me off completely. More and more products from the grocery store, pharmacy, etc. are "Marketed by <company xyz>" and NO indication of country of origin. THAT is a big problem for the American consumer but unfortunately, about 90% don't realize it at all.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I wonder if the Japanese Mitutoyo Fans cringed like this when some of the Mitutoyo "V" blocks started coming out of Brazil?
    I ordered a pair of Mitutoyo V Blocks off of E-Bay last year. When I got them they were stamped "Mitutoyo Made in Brazil". I thought WTF!? Although they were excellent quality.
    I wouldn't worry about Brazil quality, look at Imbel, they make some very nice firearms.

Leave a comment:

• lazlo
    replied
    The Mitutoyo dial calipers are made in Brazil, and they're pretty nice.

There were several threads on PM that claimed that Hardinge has the Bridgeport castings made in Brazil, but I've never seen confirmation of that.

Leave a comment:

• Scishopguy
    replied
    Made In America

I am terribly sorry to hear that they have sold out too. Fortunately, I have most of the precision tools that I will ever need and they are a mixture of Starrett, B&S, Mitutoyo, Fowler, and Lufkin. Yes, they are old, but they are in good shape and I recalibrate the mics once a year as a practice.

Leave a comment:

• lazlo
    replied
    Originally posted by JCHannum
    Link to the Starrett website information on the show here;

http://www.starrett.com/pages/1144_j...ary_9_2007.cfm
    Hey, Cliffy (from Cheers) is hosting the show! Ask him if tungsten wedding rings are toxic!

Leave a comment:

• Iquithadenuff
    replied
    Just bought 2 new 6"scales c303r only says: Starrett, not LSS Starrett, Athol Mass,,,,,,,,,,,,,GDMNCHINK junk.......WFTF.......NEVER again

Leave a comment:

• JPR
    replied
    I'm with Weird, I see three scenarios:
    1. I purchase the Starrett-china items, I am pleased and keep buying the lower priced Starrett-china tools.
    2. I purchase the Starrett-china items, I am pleased and realize that Chinese tools are fine and buy Enco $16 calipers instead of $116 Starrett-china.
    3. I purchase the Starrett-china items, I am disappointed. Since I can not tell from MSC or similar catalogs which are Starrett-china and which are Starrett-USA items, I stop buying any Starrett tools.

In any of the three scenarios, not a single worker's job is saved except the CEO and CFO who's stock just went up due to significant profits selling $16 Chinese tools for $116.

Now the folks in charge "that had to do this to be competitive" would like everyone to believe that there are two more scenarios that are going to save everyone's job.
    1. I purchase the Starrett-china items, I am pleased and think how much more pleased I would be if I had bought the $173 calipers.
    2. I purchase the Starrett-china items, I am disappointed and realize that I should have spent the $173 for the more expensive calipers and hope that they are made in the USA.
    Last edited by JPR; 01-06-2007, 07:15 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Alistair Hosie
    replied
    I understand that made in China is no where near the quality of Made in the U S A but remember these are not stricly Chinese tools per say they must surely be quality controlled by American workers I am sure starret would not deliberately allow inferior goods to bear their name or logo .If I owned the company and set up shop in Brazil or China I would be demanding likewise quality we have come to expect from Starret USA.I would think the stuff made in Scotland would be of very high quality as we are known here for very high standards in technology and I don't just say that because I am ScottishAlistair

Leave a comment:

• JCHannum
    replied
    Link to the Starrett website information on the show here;

http://www.starrett.com/pages/1144_j...ary_9_2007.cfm

I recently picked up the latest Starrett catalog, and the "Global Series" tools are clearly marked with a globe symbol and the made in USA tools are identified with a flag. The Machinist's combination squares are made in USA. I did not get a price list, so I cannot tell the price difference between the various tools.

Mitutoyo has manufactured it's tools in Brazil and many other foreign countries, including the USA, for many years.

Leave a comment:

• Evan
    replied
    I just got the Sears tool catalog and noticed that they have a few Starrett tools now. Calipers, Tri square with protractor and a few others. They look nice in the pics, they are expensive and it doesn't say where they are made.

Leave a comment:

• YankeeMetallic
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Scishopguy
    replied
    Starrett on Made In America

Of all the precision tools I have had and have bought over the years, I still think that Mitutuyo (or mitty yoyo as the old timers used to call them) are the best quality for the money. I have Starrett mics and they are very good quality but they are not carbide tipped like the Mitutuyo mics in the same price range. As for calipers, I have had all kinds and the Japanese are the best in my opinion. Some of the Starrett tools, like small hole gages, telescoping gages, and radius gages, are not finished very well and not satin chromed, so you are always fighting the "rust monster." I am not surprised that Starrett has gone the cheapo offshore route. Sears did it when they came out with their non guaranteed Sears line of mechanic's tools.

Leave a comment:

• Magee
    replied
    Further muddy-ing the waters is a Starrett mason's level I own... It's "Starrett Exact" but also has "Made in USA" stamped on it... So apparently not all "Exact" stuff is made overseas. Brands don't seem to mean much these days.

Leave a comment:

• mochinist
    replied
    The other machinist at work bough a pair of 8" starret exact dial calipers about a year aga. They are better than your garden variety no name chinese calipers, but they definately aren't starret quality. They were a pretty decent price and that is what got him, he assumed liked weird mentioned above that since they were starret that they were starret quality. Starret still makes nice tools, just make sure when you order it or buy it off of ebay that it isn't their exact line , unless you are ok with that.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X