new computer stand design

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new computer stand design

My son wants me to make him a computer stand with wood and aluminium tubing conbined can you buy aluminium tubing easily brushed finish or polished in the uk ?Alistair
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Just a guess but perhaps a caravan accessories supplier could help?
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Can anyone tell me if aluminium can be brush finished in case the local supplier has only plain ?in particular if anyone knows of a way of doing this at home my friend reccomend putting it on the lathe and going at it gently with a wire brush on a drill and working towards the headstock but I am dubious about this.Is there a chemical way of doing this? I am looking at both 4 inch and 2 inch tubing regards Alistair

Comment

Alistair, to get a brushed finish on aluminium I like the little 2" Scotchbrite discs on a diegrinder, alternatively Scotbrite flapper wheels. For big flat areas Scotchbrite on big drum type sanders or belt sanders are used. For tube I think you would need to revolve it slowly in a lathe and work the sanding pad at a steady pace in a uniform direction. J+L industrial have a good selection of Scotchbrite products.

Alan

Comment

I'd think you would want the brush effect to go the length of the tube, not around it. I suspect coarse sandpaper would work, wrapped around the tube and drawn along it but not turned. Or maybe that's not the effect you're after....
          ----------
          Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
          Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
          Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
          There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
          Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
          Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

Thanks guys I might order a bit of scrap to practice on as I am a bit nervous as this stuff doesn't come cheap the whole bench will probably be near £4to500 in materials as there is a lot of solid wood as well probably oak or cherry. Alistair

Comment

I forgot to add I want the aluminium tubing 4 " to go through the centre of the table and hold a glass plate to carry a computer screen.It will need a flange of sorts at it's top to hold the table up.It will need a wooden tapered base to hold the table from falling over,I have alot of experience with wood but nothing to date with wood and metal . What is the strongest way of doing this the flange at the top "well" I am hoping they sell metal flanges like this to save me making one , but at the bottom on the floor I should prefer wood as this can be seen .Also what is the best way of mounting the glass to the top of the tubing to make it strong enough to carry the glass with the computer screen I probably will make a largish woodent flange myself any help or ideas would be apreciated Alistair

Comment

If it's just a 'satin' finish you're after, use caustic. I've done this on many a front panel.
                Use extreme caution, the reaction can be "vigorous"
                Rgds, Lin
                Just got my head together
                now my body's falling apart

Comment

I suspect you would need to experiment would toilet unblocker caustic do or what ?Alistair

Comment

My favorite so far.. The other favorite is a pac-man type deal about one person wide. MOnitor is at a 45 degree tilt, perfect for bifocals.

Probably some money building these. Companies would go crazy cause of the neck strain that goes on with bifocal users. Doc sat at my computer for a few minutes and went right home and built him one.

My vision is still 20/20 about two hours a day.

I'd preferred to have a rollaway desk with a sunken monitor like this.. draw it up in wood for me.. My work area is pretty crapped up thou, a U shaped workbench around this shelving unit now..

Tubing,, yeah what a pain to bend without marking up. I'd worry about finish after shaping.
                    Excuse me, I farted.

Comment

Yes Alistair, plain old supermarket drain cleaner is fine.
                      As you suggest, experiment on scrap is in order.
                      Just got my head together
                      now my body's falling apart

Comment

£4to500 in materials
                        Bloody hell, why not just have the tubing gold plated?
                        Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

The aluminum, unless it is anodized or coated with laquer or such ,will rub off on hands, clothes, etc., leaving a gray or nearly black smudge. I make assembly and test fixtures at work and try to avoid untreated surfaces where a worker will be placing or resting their hands for eight hours.

Even anodized aluminum wears out eventually, especially when we are fixturing plastic parts molded of glass bead or glass fiber filled nylon. One particular part had the company logo molded into the part. The raised logo was the first surface to wear through the anodizing, transferring a perfect mirror image of the logo into the fixture.
                          Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
                          ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

Thanks guys so far Alistair

Comment

Originally posted by Alistair Hosie
                              I forgot to add I want the aluminium tubing 4 " to go through the centre of the table and hold a glass plate to carry a computer screen.It will need a flange of sorts at it's top to hold the table up.It will need a wooden tapered base to hold the table from falling over,I have alot of experience with wood but nothing to date with wood and metal . What is the strongest way of doing this the flange at the top "well" I am hoping they sell metal flanges like this to save me making one , but at the bottom on the floor I should prefer wood as this can be seen .Also what is the best way of mounting the glass to the top of the tubing to make it strong enough to carry the glass with the computer screen I probably will make a largish woodent flange myself any help or ideas would be apreciated Alistair
                              Alistair

It's not 4", & it's not ali, but have you thought of Desmo legs?

eg
                              http://www.proboat.co.uk/item.asp?prod_id=232&cat_id=26

Tim

Comment

Working...
                              X