X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Take a look at this.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...seBVCookie=Yes

Cool huh?

they have had an add on the boob tube this past week end for it its was only a matter of time. to go along with Rolands computer driven desk top shop equipment, and vynil cutters. http://www.rolanddga.com/default.asp
    Glen
    Been there, probably broke it, doing that!
    I am not a lawyer, and never played one on TV!
    All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or the suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

Comment

I've got mixed emotions....it sort of turns woodworking into an operation like making toast.

But realistically, I think that thing is a cnc wood carver and wood carving is something that is unreachable for many of us without the sort of free-form artistic skills it requires.

Paul
      Paul Carpenter
      Mapleton, IL

Comment

I saw a commercial for this on the prime time boob tube, IIRC the ad was from the original manufacturer not Sears. Anybody know who makes this? Googling only seemed to bring up the Sears ads.

Funny, Sears is out of stock. Too much demand or they didn't stock enough inventory to meet the demand. They currently have it on sale at $100 off list. Why put something on sale when you can't fill the existing orders (unless they've committed to a huge factory order and don't think they'll be able to move them without a reduction in price)?

Comment

I saw a video of this running couple of days ago, can't remember where, youtube?, very cool, metal next?
          "four to tow, two to go"

Comment

Paint by number
            Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
            Bad Decisions Make Good Stories

Comment

see my post above and when you get to the site goto the milling machine link they use to have unit for around a grand that you could 3-d scan and then transfer the file to output milling. Now it looks like they have geared it to jewelry proto/modeling.http://www.rolanddga.com/default.asp
              Glen
              Been there, probably broke it, doing that!
              I am not a lawyer, and never played one on TV!
              All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or the suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

Comment

Looks like a pattern makers dream come true. Small homeshop foundry and let her go.. sand casting is back in style.

UHMW, mucho easier to machine than wood.. grain is more consistient.
                Excuse me, I farted.

Comment

Would be fun to have and use, the only problem is...
                  its a Craftsman! Or very much like a Crapsman.

Tom M.

Comment

There is a huge market for this sort of machine. My son will probably buy one. He owns a drywall plastering company in Calgary and has been asking me about making him specialized molds for creating plaster ornaments that are used in upscale drywall decorations. This machine is perfectly suited to do that.

How long do you think it will take before you see some guy set up in the mall making custom address signs on the spot? Think of all the park maintenance contractors and all the signs in parks, often routed wood.
                    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

I am looking at this machine with some interest as well. I make some fillet tables out of UHMW white plastic with common wood working tools table saw and router. I am wondering how one of these might work for me. I have thought about one of the CNC router tables but the cost runs around 5K this might fit the bill.
                      Mike

Comment

Perhaps my previous assessment was a little premature,kind of like the guy that upon first seeing gasoline says that it's just another way to start a fire.
                        Like PCARPENTER,I too have mixed emotions on making the art of wood working into something as exciting as making toast.But after reading David Cofer's post it opened my eyes to a potentially useful tool for metal work,and other applications as well.
                        I do agree it has a huge marketing potential,but I suspect that it's aimed at a market that wants instant gratification,you know the plug and play crowd that wants to...insert wood into side A...extract artwork out of side B.
                        I guess I'm a bit of a purist when it comes to art and cnc...it's great for production,can't argue about the quality or quantity,it's just not art.
                        Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                        Bad Decisions Make Good Stories

Comment

You can trace with it also, there is a probe available. I would be curious about it's software. Issues?

http://www.carvewright.com/machine.html
                          Gene

Comment

I often wonder how well finished the wood will come out of this, as an avid woodworker I have often watched copy wood lathes on ebay only to be told numerous times that unless you spend big bucks you get a very rough and hairy finish needing much sanding. I wonder if the little machine woul really do it?Alistair
                            Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Somebody's going to make component libraries for this like clip art. Perhaps it's already begun - it's pretty cool, that's for sure. I imagine it could be used to carve unfired clay and any number of materials besides wood. Foam, for example.

Comment

Working...
                              X