Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Evan: What is the name of the super slippery stuf you told us about a while back.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evan: What is the name of the super slippery stuf you told us about a while back.

Or any one that remembers. Gary P. Hansen
    In memory of Marine Engineer Paul Miller who gave his life for his country 7-19-2010 Helmand Province, Afghanistan. Freedom is not free, it is paid for with blood.

Polydimethylsiloxane oil.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

What is that used for?
      You never learn anything by doing it right.

Comment

It has many uses. It is available in various formulations with different viscosities, from nearly solid to very thin. It's what silly putty is made from, an example of extremely high viscosity. The oil is commonly used to lubricate the heat roller in a photo copier or laser printer to prevent the thermoplastic ink from sticking to the roll.

It is slipperier than snot on a glass doorknob and it migrates like crazy. If you spill some on a tile or lino floor you have to rip up the floor and replace it. It's nearly impossible to remove from most surfaces and it is extremely stable. It never evaporates, even at high temperatures like 400F. It is excellent for lubricating things in specific circumstances where nothing else can do the job and is entirely non toxic. You can fry food in it although the FDA hasn't approved it.

Comment

Evan: Where do i buy it? Chris

Comment

Thanks Evan!
            In memory of Marine Engineer Paul Miller who gave his life for his country 7-19-2010 Helmand Province, Afghanistan. Freedom is not free, it is paid for with blood.

Comment

I don't know exactly. I still have several quarts of the stuff in a couple of different grades left over from when I worked for Xerox. The wipers used on the heat rolls of various xerographic machines such as copiers etc are saturated with it. The larger machines use it by the liter or more and you could probably "borrow" some from just about any copier technician.

Oh yeah, most don't know the actual name of it. It's usually called fuser oil.

Comment

Hey Evan, is it that clearish whitish looking grease that you see on the internals of many electronic/mechanical plastic devises? if so you just solved a mystery for me

Comment

Nope. Silicone oil is crystal clear. What you are seeing is most probably white lithium grease.

Comment

So if its clear it could be the stuff your talking about? I know much of the stuff was clear and lots may have been mostly transparent with a slight white hue, i know it wasnt white lithium though cus thats all white right?

Comment

Isn't Vasoline cheaper and safer as a topical aide? Certainly slippery enough to get the job done.
                      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                      Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

It isn't used normally to lubricate consumer products. It's expensive compared to acceptable alternatives such as lithium grease. Also, the migration problem can be an issue. When I worked with it daily I often wore gloves to keep it off my hands. Not because of any toxicity issues but because it made it difficult to even pick up tools or handle the steering wheel.

If it ever gets on a surface you will never be able to paint it successfully.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
                          It isn't used normally to lubricate consumer products. It's expensive compared to acceptable alternatives such as lithium grease. Also, the migration problem can be an issue. When I worked with it daily I often wore gloves to keep it off my hands. Not because of any toxicity issues but because it made it difficult to even pick up tools or handle the steering wheel.

If it ever gets on a surface you will never be able to paint it successfully.
                          SO if you were to run that stuff through a high powered atomizer in the middle of a professional paint shop...
                          Man, science can be a dangerous thing in the wrong hands...

Comment

The white paste you see on electrical parts might be heat sink paste.
                            mark costello-Low speed steel

Comment

Well isn't that ironic. I've just been playing with some polymethylsiloxane the past couple days. Silicone brake fluid. Obviously it's high temperature capability is taken advantage of for braking systems. I don't know what more there is to it as brake fluid, but the container doesn't list any other ingredients. It does say safe for painted surfaces, but I gotta wonder.

Not to hijack the thread, but my application was as a thinner for GI-1000 molding rubber. I'm not sure if it interferes with curing, but silicone oil is called for as a thinner, so I tried it. A lot of it. 50/50, actually. It still hasn't cured, but the molding rubber is old and may not cure well anymore anyway. And probably I mixed in way too much, should have probably kept it to 10% or less. More experimentation is needed. So far I have not gotten a buzz, nauseous, hungry, gasseous, or weak from playing with it. I don't intend to cook breakfast in it.

As far as low friction materials in solid form, there's frelon and rulon, aside from the normally known ones like PE and teflon.
                              I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Working...
                              X