Project ideas anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project ideas anyone?

I have a drill press, a 6" grinder, and a belt sander with the disk sander, and various hand tools.
    Don't laugh I'm new.
    Any project ideas?
    Stupid people make me sick.

Many things have been made with far less. A hammer and chisel for example have been used since the beginning of time. Some idea of your interests would be in order before any suggestions could be offered. Welcome to the forum.

Comment

I am interested in making some kind of tool or tools to expand my shop-mostly interested in metalworking.
      Thanks for your reply.

Comment

welcome,hope you stick around. everyone has started out like you.

Comment

I was told by an old machinist I knew when I was a kid (he was a model airplane nut too) that one of their first projects as an apprentice involved no machines. they were given a block of steel by an old German guy and told to make it as close to perfectly square as possible with a file and a square. That may seem like sort of an exercise, but you could make yourself some 1-2-3 blocks as part of the exercise. You may not get them just right, but if you quit a bit early, you will have learned to file correctly and could later still have someone grind them to final size for you on a surface grinder, making them a useful tool in the end.

I know it sounds like I am grasping at straws, but I am trying to think of machine-free stuff that would eventually be useful.

paul
          Paul Carpenter
          Mapleton, IL

Comment

I've made several knives with just that set up. Just need to add a MAPP torch for heat treat. Use old worn out files: aneal, shape , harden and temper, all with the equipment you have.
            Ignorance is curable through education.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty Marlin
              I've made several knives with just that set up. Just need to add a MAPP torch for heat treat. Use old worn out files: aneal, shape , harden and temper, all with the equipment you have.
              Would you mind going into some detail on your heat treating method?
              Thanks in advance.

Comment

Metal_chick

I remember a book written by one of the english model makers that had a nubmer of simple projects that could be completed with nothing more that sawing, filing, drilling etc. I think the book was titled "Making Small Workshop Tools". Anyway, I have seen the book on ebay. In it were things like scribers, height gages, toolmakers clamps, tapping guides, drill press table clamps, filing plates, etc. If your sawing and filing skills are good, you can make a credible job of many of these. If they are not so good, perhaps they will improve with these projects. Except for a rifling machine and a forge, you are probably already equipped about as well as many 18th century New England gunsmiths (and they made their own rifling machines with tools like you have).

Perk in Cincinnati

Comment

If you add to your sock of tools an inexpensive X-Y vise, can be had from Harbor freight, grizzly, etc, pretty cheaply, and a couple of small end mills, you can do some LIGHT milling in the drill press. Good for slotting, making corners and so forth. Once you can mill a little bit, it opens up the possibilities nicely.

That was my first approach many years ago in my broke days (still broke, but that's because I bought a bunch of machines)

steve Stas

Comment

Well - i started with a 8" drill press and a 30 piece craftsman mechanics set.

I started off wanting to make a go-kart, but that didn't happen until i bought a welder. Thats a really useful item to have - you can get a decent (for home use) stick welder for $150. Most people say stick welding is hard to learn; i didn't find it to be too difficult and i actually like it better than mig.

Anyhow, before i bought my welder i made a small wood fired forge out of an old grill. Then i bought a 55lb anvil, then a 6" craftsman bench grinder, then made a few random things. Some knives (not the beautiful works of art that most people make, but they were all right) some cold chisels, misc like that.

With your set up and a good heat source and maybe a cheap anvil (not even necessarily an anvil, just a flat heavy surface to beat on) you could do some pretty cool stuff. Ornamental hooks, hinges, wall sconces, gates, candlesticks, various hand tools, fire pokers, pliers, tin snips, the list goes on...

Leaf-springs from a junkyard make for good source of steel. The spring steel is great for knives and tools. Well, its great for the cost...

Comment

M C :
                      There are lots of things you can make.
                      Calipers: inside, outside, hemaphrodite.
                      Drill point gage
                      Sheet metal scribe like this:
                      http://malco.malcoproducts.com/products/awls/a40.asp
                      to name a few. A lot can be done with a hacksaw and file.
                      Here is a steam engine that can be built with basic tools.
                      http://npmccabe.tripod.com/olddesign.htm
                      Hope this helps
                      Tin Falcon
                      Ad maiorem dei gloriam - Ad vitam paramus

Comment

Well it isn't a tool, but I made this small working model enignes using nothing more than the tools you say you have.

The piston and control valve were made by chucking the stock up in the drill press and working them to size with files and emery paper.

Here's a link to the plans page, if you think you might be interested in trying it. http://npmccabe.tripod.com/mccaberunner.htm

Rick
                        Home Model Engine Machinist

Comment

METAL_CHICK,
                          There is a series of books on how to build a metalworking shop from scrap (http://www.lindsaybks.com/dgjp/djgbk/series/index.html). If you build all of those tools you would have a pretty capable shop and the knowledge of how to use the equipment too.
                          Mark Hockett

Comment

Originally posted by METAL_CHICK
                            I have a drill press, a 6" grinder, and a belt sander with the disk sander, and various hand tools.
                            Don't laugh I'm new.
                            Any project ideas?
                            With what you have, you could make an engravers hammer. You could then make some engraving chisels and do metal engraving. I'm not sure if you want to get into metal working as a purly artistic endeavor or for the fun of fooling around with machinery and close tolerances. If more artistic, then engraving would not be a waste of your time. The tools for this endeavor are very simple and very cheap.
                            - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                            Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Originally posted by METAL_CHICK
                              Don't laugh I'm new.
                              Any project ideas?
                              Haven't read the entire thread but it looks like you might could use a good tool box to keep the tools you're going to be making and buying. Seriously, it's a good first project because you don't have to put it away when you're done

Comment

Working...
                              X