More toolmaking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More toolmaking

Decided I wanted a small swivel vise for the Lewis mill....

Didn't want to spend several hundred bucks, and decided to make a base for a vise I have already, pretty much just because.

The base before the last steps in finishing it

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Did you start with castings?
    Brett Jones...

Comment

That looks plumb 'prefessoional' ---is that botton part a casting?.....cant see any tool marks by the ears, and the degree marks look really nice. Yep, real nice!!
      If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something........

Comment

Oh boy!...Now that is some nice! Oh....wait a minute....it's JT....Nothing unusual then. Nice work as always! How did you mark out the graduations on the base?
        Russ
        I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

Very clean work and nice use of what ya got.
          Wow... where did the time go. I could of swore I was only out there for an hour.

Comment

Vise

JT
            Nice job. Steel or cast iron? The big question - what is the reason for the big "V" notch in the vise jaw.?
            JRW

Comment

It kinda out classes the vise!

Comment

Originally posted by J. R. Williams
                JT
                Nice job. Steel or cast iron? The big question - what is the reason for the big "V" notch in the vise jaw.?
                JRW
                I noticed that as well, and to me it almost looks like the face on that side of the vise has a pivot point. To hold non parallel work perhaps?
                -Dan S.
                dans-hobbies.com

Comment

Beautiful job JT -- but it hurts to see that crappy Chinese drill press vise on that pretty rotary base.

You can get those Chinese "toolmakers" vises for a song, and they're way nicer than the Mill/Drill vises, and they have about the same form-factor:

http://www.cdcotools.com/item.php?itemid=25
                  "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

HEY, now.......

That is a made in USA Miller's Falls vise with a pivoting jaw....... no chinese whatevers involved. A DP vise? sure..... but I have it, it is actually nice and parallel, and it isn't out of scale for the machine.

And naturally it isn't the only vise that can go on the base. The plan is eventually to make a low milling vise to fit it. The net result to be considerably lower than any of the Palmgren units, since I have low daylight overall.

Meanwhile, there are lots of the Miller's Falls vises running around, so I have a continuing supply.

Nope, bottom is 100% milled out.

Keep eye on ball.
                    Hashim Khan

Comment

That looks like what I need for my shaper, only larger and wider. Good job on the index marks. What is that base? A casting?
                      Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

I still want to know how you make the graduations...

Comment

nice looking work JT!

Comment

JT
                            Nice work. I know where there is another Lewis that could make use of another one any time you are ready.

How about letting us know how you did the graduations !!

Doc says I can pick up a wrench in about 6 weeks, until then I will just have to give everyone a hard time.

Ross
                            GUNS Don't kill people
                            Drivers using cell phones do.

Comment

Wow! That's sharp! I'm glad one of the old timers finally posted something. All these new guys are making us look like lazy old coots.

Comment

Working...
                              X