raw iron castings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• raw iron castings

Does anyone know of a place to get iron castings done in singles or doubles? I have a Logan lathe on which I'd like to replace the turret cross slide with a t-slot table cross slide. Having access to one off custom castings would make for some fun projects as well.

I spoke once with the fellow that sells SB and Atlas casting kits at http://www.statecollegecentral.com/m...the/index.html and he gave me contact info for an Amish foundry. I've since lost that contact info, and as one would imagine there were no email addresses or web sites to gather information.

Thanks.
    Brett Jones...

Being in Maine, this may not help directly, but an idea... Here in Alabama we have a group of home casting types that meet at the same park where the blacksmiths have our annual conference. That's how I met them, anyway. Lost the names and contact information. But I asked once and was told they'd be thrilled to have me come up with some patterns for them to cast, the casting would be done for some nominal fee, basically fuel, and I'd even be welcome to help if I was willing to go through the safety class. Every year since I've been meaning to try that... But I was thinking maybe there's a similar group around your area.

Comment

http://www.jwcastingco.com/index.html They sounded pretty friendly on the phone. but I've not had work done by them

Comment

There may be something local, I've not looked around to see. I've also considered equiping my shop and learning the skills to make my own castings, but I have a list of shop/home/equipment/property projects a mile long and don't want to add to it right now.
        Brett Jones...

Comment

raw iron castings

bhjones You might try mysticriverfoundry.com they are in Conn.
          I had no dealings with them, came up in search for something else.
          chiphead42
          I just found the info for the Amish folks. My understanding is they only deal by mail. I have not dealt with them. Have read of others that were well pleased with their work and prices.
          Cattail Foundry
          167 west Cattail Road
          Gordonville, Pa. 17529
          Last edited by chiphead42; 01-14-2007, 06:55 PM.
          chiphead42

Comment

logan t slot cross slide

I was told that the SB casting from MLA, at state college, would work on a Logan 200. Have not got mine finished yet, but it looks like it will work.

Russ H

Comment

Originally posted by SteveA220
              Being in Maine, this may not help directly, but an idea... Here in Alabama we have a group of home casting types that meet at the same park where the blacksmiths have our annual conference. That's how I met them, anyway. Lost the names and contact information. But I asked once and was told they'd be thrilled to have me come up with some patterns for them to cast, the casting would be done for some nominal fee, basically fuel, and I'd even be welcome to help if I was willing to go through the safety class. Every year since I've been meaning to try that... But I was thinking maybe there's a similar group around your area.
              StevaA220, where in Nth Ala are you? I'm in the Huntsville area. If would, send me an email, I'd like to hear more of your activities around here. I'm also interested in both casting and blacksmithing. I know there's a pretty active blacksmithing group in/around Athens.

Regarding a casting source, about a year ago I passed a small foundry operation just outside of Florence, AL. Don't have the name or address immediately available. But I've intended to contact them and see if they'd do one-off items and just what materials they cast.

Bhjones, another possible source might be Steve Chastain, who I think is in the Jacksonville, FL area. He's written some books on various casting topics, including cupola furnaces. And as I recall one or two (maybe more) articles in our host's publications (HSM and MW). I also seem to recall seeing some comments from him that more or less seemed to be offering his services ...particularly for specific items, e.g. faceplate blanks, or something like that, that might be wanted by more than one person.

Comment

I have a 14" Logan (7515-L) that I want to make changes on. The cross slide and turret are integrated. I need a casting in the 12x8 inch range, and at least 2.5 inches thick to do the t-slot table.

Parts for this machine are hard to come by and very pricey when I find them. If one off castings are reasonable, I may look into casting a custom tailstock for the thing (it's a chucker lathe and didn't come with one). Then there's the need for a compound and a base, hrm.....

Originally posted by Russ H
                I was told that the SB casting from MLA, at state college, would work on a Logan 200. Have not got mine finished yet, but it looks like it will work.

Russ H
                Brett Jones...

Comment

Try this Link to mlahttp://www.statecollegecentral.com/metallathe/
                  Metal Lathe
                  Box 88
                  Pine GroveMills
                  Pa 16868 PHONE # (814)234-3543
                  Every Mans Work Is A Portrait of Him Self
                  http://sites.google.com/site/machinistsite/TWO-BUDDIES
                  http://s178.photobucket.com/user/lan...?sort=3&page=1

Comment

Call the guy at metallatheaccessories. He loves to talk, it seems, and is eager to help.

Comment

casting dims

The casting for the SB lathes is smaller than what you need. Metal Lathe Accessories used to sell rectangular castings, do not recall size. Might be worth a call.
                      Russ H

Comment

Inquiring Costs Nothing

Originally posted by chiphead42
                        bhjones You might try mysticriverfoundry.com they are in Conn.
                        Way back in the long ago, when I was rebuilding my South Bend. I had broken the half nut engagement lever. I had went to the somewhat local, (20+/- miles from home) Mystic River Foundry to have them re-cast. They could only do them in brass. They could not re-cast them in the cast iron as I had hoped. For my application the brass would, and so far has sufficed. I had them cast two of them, (just in case), for about $20.00. One day turn around, I have not dealt with them since. They were fine people to deal with.

Again this was 15 + years ago.... now, they may cast iron. Wouldn't hurt to inquire.
                        Paying Attention Is Not That Expensive.

Comment

4440 Chisholm Rd., Industrial Park
                          Florence, AL 35630
                          Phone: 256-766-8720
                          Fax: 256-764-0640

I just called this place and was told that gray iron sand castings is their business. I spoke to Phil, who I guess is the manager. He said that normally they don't do much onesy-twosy stuff, but if someone presented them with the pattern they'd certainly consider it.

Note: I have no affiliation or involvement with the above. Nor make no claim as to the quality of their goods or services. ...just offering this as a public service announcement to the group.

Comment

Working...
                          X