Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clausing 4900 (4913) Rebuild continued...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clausing 4900 (4913) Rebuild continued...

as some may remember when I introduced myself, I am in the process of rebuilding my Clausing 4902 10"x24" lathe.
    I just added 22 or so pictures to my web album that can be viewed at http://picasaweb.google.com/kdeckster/Clausing4900

I hope you enjoy the pictures. I am sure I will have some questions soon!

Before Picture:

Present picture:
    Last edited by kennyd4110; 01-15-2007, 06:12 PM.

I really like the look of these machines. Same for the heavy 12" and 14" Logan lathes from the 60's. Big, blocky and all business.

Well done.
    Brett Jones...

Comment

Job Well done Looks Real Good
      Every Mans Work Is A Portrait of Him Self
      http://sites.google.com/site/machinistsite/TWO-BUDDIES
      http://s178.photobucket.com/user/lan...?sort=3&page=1

Comment

That looks excellent! what kind of paint is that, and how was it applied? Also, where'd you find the lathe? I know that Norman Machine Tool in Baltimore has a number of them in inventory now, and they're just the lathe I want.

Nice work.
        "Lay on ground-light fuse-get away"

Comment

Kenny do really nice work. Very complete job. I am impressed. JRouche
          My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

You don't want one of those clausing piece-o-junk lathes

Buy a good chineese one and i'll take the clausing off your hands for you (once you finish restoring it of course - the...err junkyard...doesnt want a shabby looking lathe)

Comment

I like to see old good machinery treated well, cleaned up and put back into commission. My hat's off to anyone who ressurects a great ol' hunk of iron from the foundry ladle, gives it a good home, and gets years of good use from it.

Rant, alert!!

However there is a matter of language. We are not using the right words. The dictionary's most applicable definition of "rebuild:" is: "to repair, esp. to dismantle and reassemble with new parts: to rebuild an old car." Industry has in the past used words like "rebuild" "recondition" almost interchangeably and many fine lines of arguement has grown to distinguish one from the other only to peter out when yet another consideration surfaces. Words have driven mighty corporations to lawsuits when contracting parties differed in their contracted obligations when terms are unsupported by definitions.

The wording I used to use when I was contracting for the rebuilding of machine tools for the Navy is speficied by then DIPEC but is now succeeded by some other orgizational monicker. That definition was (partial words here): "'Rebuild' is here defined as: the contractor shall dissassemble the equipment to the last bolt, all parts shall be non-injuriously cleaned ot adherant materials and debris and inspected. Those parts damaged, broken, or worn shall be refurbished or replaced. The working parts, ways, electrical systems, motors, coolant systems, hydraulics, and all other components assenblies, systems, appurtenances, attachments, and accessories shall be restored to like new accuracy, longevity, and operability. The parts shall be re-assembled, fitted, lubricated as neede, and adjusted to restore alignments and operability. The machine shall be prepared to sound paint, spot primed, filled, and sanded as applicable then re-painted with a coating system that meets or exceeds that originally provided by the manufacturer.... The equipment when complete shall comply with the original manufacturer's specifications and when inspected at final acceptance shall meet the requirements for accuracy, geometry, and all other attributes entered in the acceptance criteria of the run-off sheet..." This definition has met several legal tests in a administrative law courts and allowed the Navy to prevail in disputes with contractors.

Not to rain on your parade Kenny, you are doing well, but a even a very thorough cleaning, inspection, adjustment, and painting is just that. Even the most thorough cleaning, minor repair, and re-paint is not a rebuild if the bearings have not been replaced, the ways re-machined, scraped and re-fitted, lead screws and nuts re-cut/replaced to new condition, accuracy and backlash, and so-on down a long list including a tailstock quill refitting where the bore is either bushed or honed to an accurate cylinder and a new replacement quill is fitted and installed.

I bet Kenny's lathe will finish up as a dandy machine tool, but unless all that formidable work list is complete he can't rightly use the word "rebuild" as a descriptor for his work and neither can I or anyone else unless we comply with the intent of the word's definition.
              Last edited by Forrest Addy; 01-15-2007, 04:18 AM.

Comment

Kenny, what technique did you use to make the exposed metal bits shine?
                Brett Jones...

Comment

Originally posted by motomoron
                  That looks excellent! what kind of paint is that, and how was it applied? Also, where'd you find the lathe? I know that Norman Machine Tool in Baltimore has a number of them in inventory now, and they're just the lathe I want.

Nice work.
                  I am using the "Tractor & Implement" enamel from TSC (Tractor Supply Company). Ford Gray is the color. And yes, I am using a brush and the little mini rollers from Home Depot. If it was spring, I probably would have sprayed it (at least the large peices) with my HVLP turbine setup outside. I have had good luck with this paint before, that's why I chose to use it for this.

I bought the lathe locally in Columbia, MD. It was advertised on the PM site.

Comment

Originally posted by bhjones
                    Kenny, what technique did you use to make the exposed metal bits shine?
                    I just used Schotchbrite pads (marroon) and kerosene. The rust in the pictures is just surface rust, so it cleaned up nicely with alot of elbow grease.

Comment

Originally posted by Forrest Addy
                      I like to see old good machinery treated well, cleaned up and put back into commission. My hat's off to anyone who ressurects a great ol' hunk of iron from the foundry ladle, gives it a good home, and gets years of good use from it.

Rant, alert!!

However there is a matter of language. We are not using the right words. The dictionary's most applicable definition of "rebuild:" is: "to repair, esp. to dismantle and reassemble with new parts: to rebuild an old car." Industry has in the past used words like "rebuild" "recondition" almost interchangeably and many fine lines of arguement has grown to distinguish one from the other only to peter out when yet another consideration surfaces. Words have driven mighty corporations to lawsuits when contracting parties differed in their contracted obligations when terms are unsupported by definitions.

The wording I used to use when I was contracting for the rebuilding of machine tools for the Navy is speficied by then DIPEC but is now succeeded by some other orgizational monicker. That definition was (partial words here): "'Rebuild' is here defined as: the contractor shall dissassemble the equipment to the last bolt, all parts shall be non-injuriously cleaned ot adherant materials and debris and inspected. Those parts damaged, broken, or worn shall be refurbished or replaced. The working parts, ways, electrical systems, motors, coolant systems, hydraulics, and all other components assenblies, systems, appurtenances, attachments, and accessories shall be restored to like new accuracy, longevity, and operability. The parts shall be re-assembled, fitted, lubricated as neede, and adjusted to restore alignments and operability. The machine shall be prepared to sound paint, spot primed, filled, and sanded as applicable then re-painted with a coating system that meets or exceeds that originally provided by the manufacturer.... The equipment when complete shall comply with the original manufacturer's specifications and when inspected at final acceptance shall meet the requirements for accuracy, geometry, and all other attributes entered in the acceptance criteria of the run-off sheet..." This definition has met several legal tests in a administrative law courts and allowed the Navy to prevail in disputes with contractors.

Not to rain on your parade Kenny, you are doing well, but a even a very thorough cleaning, inspection, adjustment, and painting is just that. Even the most thorough cleaning, minor repair, and re-paint is not a rebuild if the bearings have not been replaced, the ways re-machined, scraped and re-fitted, lead screws and nuts re-cut/replaced to new condition, accuracy and backlash, and so-on down a long list including a tailstock quill refitting where the bore is either bushed or honed to an accurate cylinder and a new replacement quill is fitted and installed.

I bet Kenny's lathe will finish up as a dandy machine tool, but unless all that formidable work list is complete he can't rightly use the word "rebuild" as a descriptor for his work and neither can I or anyone else unless we comply with the intent of the word's definition.
                      Sorry for using the wrong terms Forrest, I will have to run my post's through the lawyer's office first

Can we re-title this post to read:
                      "A very thorough cleaning, inspection, adjustment, and painting of a Clausing lathe"

Comment

(Blush) Maybe I should have de-linked my commentary from your post. I don't intend to demean your efforts; only to alert that much of the language used in the machinist trade is very specific - including the word "rebuild" - and a little background that makes it so.

If I ruffled any feathers, I'm sorry. The need for rigor in technical language is longstanding and a too-casual use of common words like "rebuild" may stir up the curmudgeons.

Comment

Originally posted by kennyd4110
                          Sorry for using the wrong terms Forrest, I will have to run my post's through the lawyer's office first

Can we re-title this post to read:
                          "A very thorough cleaning, inspection, adjustment, and painting of a Clausing lathe"
                          After you paid your lawyer, the title will be:
                          "A very thorough inspection of a lathe I will sell soon".

Comment

Looks great, Kenny!

I have had a 4901 Clausing for 15 years and it's served me well. If you're in the Bel Air area, look me up. Or, we could meet up at Cabin Fever if you're going to that. I'll most likely have a table there with a large scale train or 2.

Your paint needs a greenish tint to make it look more like a Clausing. The gray looks acceptable on a Clausing, though.

Andy Pullen
                            Clausing 10x24, Sheldon 12" shaper, Clausing 8520 mill, Diacro 24" shear, Reed Prentice 14" x 34"

Comment

Originally posted by Forrest Addy
                              (Blush) Maybe I should have de-linked my commentary from your post.
                              Don't worry about it Forrest -- I find it charming The professional machinists (like yourself and John Stevenson) find it odd that the amateurs spend so much time on the paint job, when it's just a tool.

I'm almost finished a complete restoration of my Clausing 5914, but I'm a little reluctant to post pictures, lest it be accused of being a "Shop Queen."
                              "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Working...
                              X