Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for John Stevenson

Hello John:
    From some previous communications we had, I understand that you built a Eureka form relieving tool that would accommodate 1" ID cutters.

I am planning to build one in the next couple of weeks, and I was wondering what changes you made to accommodate the larger size cutters. My eyeballing of the drawings indicated that I could (a) just build it x2, or (b) keep the basic device as shown in the drawings, but increase the size of the parts that hold the cutter.

What approach did you take?

The original design looks like it will releave a cutter tooth about .030" (or .060" ?? that bit is .030" off center right??)

Thanks for any help or advise you can offer.

Pete

Pete it's been a few years now but I'm sure I just scaled it up by 2.
    Just had a quick look at the drawings and most are out of 1/4" plate with one, the ratchet plate, out of 5/16" but I made everything on mine out of 1/2" plate as it was readily available.

I actually got paid to make this as at the time I was working at a piano factory and we used all sort of weird profile cutters that cost a fortune and having a special done was out the question.

One thing I did on mine that's not original is that I had the whole lot case hardened and then polished to fit on the bearing diameters as I wanted a reliable tool.

Ironically I have never relieved any gear cutters on this but plenty of profile tools at which it worked just as good as bought in cutters costing many hundreds of pounds.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Working...
    X