Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mercury filled hammer

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Mercury filled hammer

    A friend of mind had a nice little brass hammer, which was filled with mercury. When you shake it, you can feel the mercury moving around. It delivers a nice solid blow when you hit with it.

    Is there a name for this hammer, and what was it designed for?

  • #2
    I think it's called an "evironmental hazard hammer" if the thing breaks open and leaks..........LOL
    RPease

    Comment


    • #3
      Dead blow hammer, are you sure it's mercury and not lead shot? never seen or heard of a mercury filled one. Expensive as well as hazardous. On the other hand, I have used a mercury filled plumb bob, so....

      Joe

      Comment


      • #4
        Never seen one, but heard of them... I was told they were used (very small ones) during surgery, when some very fine and precise chiseling needed to be done. These hammers are supposed to prevent the chisel from bouncing back when used on bone (which has a surprising amount of spring to it).

        Comment


        • #5
          Oh yea just what I want in an open wound,Mercury.

          Comment


          • #6
            Are you sure it's mercury and not desicated meatloaf and haggis in there? Alistair
            Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

            Comment


            • #7
              Gosh guys, you sound paranoid about Mercury..
              It is not as "deadly" as everyone makes it out to be.
              Too much extremism from our News media I am afraid.
              The really dangerous form is organic mercury, "methyl mercury.
              I am not saying its "Good', only don't go screaming into the streets!.
              Murcury is all around us. Its in your teeth, and mine..
              it's in Medicines (mercurichrome, Prep H, paint ,etc)
              If it's spilled , sprinkle powered tin or silver and it will lock up into
              an amalgym..simple ! its locked up.
              Call the EPA and you will be inundated by hysteria..
              If you are really worried(?)..think about a chuck spinning at 1000 rev's with your head next to it.. far more damage potential IMHO.
              Rich

              Comment


              • #8
                Right on Rich ! I used to play with mercury that I got as a kid from old "quiet" wall switches. Let it roll around in the palm of my hand. Never had any open wounds at those times OTOH, I had an uncle who came within inches of death many years back but he worked in a chemical plant and must have absorbed an excess amount somehow. His CNS and blood were in pretty bad shape.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Rich Carlstedt
                  Gosh guys, you sound paranoid about Mercury..
                  It is not as "deadly" as everyone makes it out to be.
                  Too much extremism from our News media I am afraid.
                  The really dangerous form is organic mercury, "methyl mercury.
                  I am not saying its "Good', only don't go screaming into the streets!.
                  Murcury is all around us. Its in your teeth, and mine..
                  it's in Medicines (mercurichrome, Prep H, paint ,etc)
                  If it's spilled , sprinkle powered tin or silver and it will lock up into
                  an amalgym..simple ! its locked up.
                  Call the EPA and you will be inundated by hysteria..
                  If you are really worried(?)..think about a chuck spinning at 1000 rev's with your head next to it.. far more damage potential IMHO.
                  Rich
                  A sane voice.
                  Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
                  ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by RPease
                    I think it's called an "evironmental hazard hammer" if the thing breaks open and leaks..........LOL
                    In the 6th grade at St Edwards the science teacher used to pass a handfull of mercury around for all of us kids to handle and play with. I was about 12 yrs old.
                    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                    Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

                    It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Your Old Dog
                      In the 6th grade at St Edwards the science teacher used to pass a handfull of mercury around for all of us kids to handle and play with. I was about 12 yrs old.

                      Well...........If a 6th grade science teacher thinks it's safe........that's good enough for me............What's the EPA know anyway?
                      RPease

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        we also used to play with mercury in school. the only reason the teachers finally got rid of it was EPA regulation. my dad also used to play with mercury when he was in school. judging by the fact that almost every person i have ever spoken to over the age of 35 or so has played with mercury (and it is still common in dental repair), if mercury was as deadly as the media makes it seem, don't you think there would be millions of Americans dead from it by this time? i wouldn't eat it or heat a big tub of it and inhale deeply, but it isn't like handling plutonium. now if your friend was to break that hammer open and call the fire department to tell them he had a mercury spill in his garage, THEN he would be asking for trouble.

                        andy b.
                        The danger is not that computers will come to think like men - but that men will come to think like computers. - some guy on another forum not dedicated to machining

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          up until fairly recently a good shot measure of mercury was good to cure all sorts of venerial complaints, bad curses and other ailments the doctor couldnt cure.
                          goes in one end ,comes out the other.dont rightly know how long it takes , but come rolling out it does......

                          now when it gets into an organic form - watch out!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Metallic mercury is certainly far less dangerous than the readily bioavailable forms such as methyl mercury. However, it isn't "safe" either. It slowly evaporates at room temperature and pressure and will gradually oxidize very slowly to more available forms.

                            When I used to service Xerox equipment it was always a problem to have a Xerox copier in a dentist's office. Even though the machine would normally be a good distance from the treatment rooms where the amalgam was mixed and used the machines suffered symptoms of "mercury poisoning" in short order. The evaporated mercury would collect in the machine and "poison" the photoreceptor material in such a manner that the selenium coated drum at the heart of the process would only last a few weeks instead of months or even years. The result would be first faded and then blank copies as the mercury built up in the machine.

                            The human body has an amazing tolerance for many poisons, especially heavy metals, since they are a normal part of the environment albeit usually at very low levels. Even though that is the case it is still a very good idea to minimize your exposure to these toxins as much as possible. The particularly applies to children as most of these kinds of toxins have significant effects on the nervous system and that effect is greatest while it is still developing.

                            It may not seem to be causing damage since those exposed may appear perfectly normal with no apparent adverse effect. But, what if the main adverse effect of low exposure is simply to lower the potential intelligence by a dozen or more points? There is no way to determine after the fact that it has happened but given the proven effects of heavy metal exposure it is extremely likely that this does happen.

                            This reason alone is sufficient to justify the present concern and caution that is exercised to prevent mercury exposure. I wouldn't have it any other way and I want my children and grand children to have every possible advantage in life.
                            Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Hey,
                              Do you remember how shiney it made a silver dime or quarter?? We used to always have one in our pockets. I spilled a small bottle of mercury on the table I had my Lionel trainset back in the early 50's. You should have seen the sparks!! I am sure when I am dead and they crack my head at autopsy it will probably be like looking into a mirror. The term Mad as a Hatter was due to the hat makers holding the strips of felt in their mouths as the habadashers made the hats. The last step in the processing of felt was to pass it through a vat of mercury so that the dirt and dust would float off and not spoil the nap of the material. Neron damage caused the bizarre mental behavior. Fred

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X