Which wiggler to buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which wiggler to buy?

Hey all! I need a wiggler...I think(I have to read up on how they work). I'm guilty...been setting up center with a pointy gadget I made that I lower into the punch mark or a small hole. For larger holes I use a DI. I use my DRO a lot for finding center but that doesn't always work either.
    KBC has wiggler sets from $12 to $65. Anyone used the middle of the road PEC set or do I HAVE to buy a Starrett?
    Also...what will one of them "kick off center" type of center finders do that a wiggler set won't?
    Thanks!
    Russ
    I have tools I don't even know I own...

The wiggler set ought to have a "kick off center" tip as part of the set.

Do you HAVE to get a Starrett? Probably not, but even the Starrett sets aren't too outrageously expensive.

Personally, I'm tired of American companies folding up, and I try to buy Starrett tools when I can. I sure won't keep them in business, but I can help.
    ----------
    Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
    Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
    There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
    Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

Which wiggler to buy?, thats what my rich buddy said the first time he went into a boggerbar.
      "four to tow, two to go"

Comment

Wigglers

Torker: I think it is kind of a preference using a wiggler vs and edge finder. either one works just get an edge finder with one pointy end . As far as brand I have three starret sets IIRC I paid in the 8-10 dollar range for each set a couple years ago. . The one set I thought I was doing somthing because it had an "extra "piece only to find out that it was a duplicate and one piece was still missing. Starret is the only brand that I see replacement parts for sale. My recemendation look for used starrett. I had a general set that is pretty decent that went in the sons tool box for chrismas.
        One advantage of the wiggler set is it has a DI attachment.
        Regards
        Tin
        Ad maiorem dei gloriam - Ad vitam paramus

Comment

I like the wigglers that have a shaft that tapers to a sharp point. Some of them have a slender shaft the ends with a center punch type end. They are hard to use in my opinion. Don't buy the expensive one.
          It's only ink and paper

Comment

I have a Starret one that came with a group of tools that I bought at a yard sale a long time ago, messed with it once or twice and it has sat in my toolbox ever since. For punch located holes your current method is probably fine.

Comment

When you think of the Starrett ones, hardened, precision ground, mating faces (on edge finders) lapped and then think of the only slightly cheaper imports, questionable in ALL areas mentioned, go out and buy Starrett

Just did a Google and the Starrett wiggler is only $16.50 at Little Machine Shop ... probably cheaper when on sale at Enco.

A real old Starrett: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...starrett65.jpg and it has one or two extensions that probably give a 30:1 ratio when assembled.

Den
              Last edited by nheng; 01-16-2007, 08:00 PM.

Comment

Thanks guys! Sheesh...the "New" Starrett wiggler set is "ON SALE" at KBC right now for $45 Cnd. Where's that "free trade" deal I heard about?

Comment

Originally posted by torker
                  Thanks guys! Sheesh...the "New" Starrett wiggler set is "ON SALE" at KBC right now for $45 Cnd. Where's that "free trade" deal I heard about?
                  Apparently, that seems only to apply to goods coming into the US from Mexico...
                  Russ
                  Master Floor Sweeper

Comment

Russ, the LMS price is only for the wiggler, not the set. The KBC price may not be far off for the larger set (wiggler + 4 additional attachments ??).

Comment

Thanks Den...I think you're right!
                      Russ

Comment

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?P...&PARTPG=INLMK3

If only indicating center punch marks this might be all you need. Buy yourself some other Starrett stuff where the accruacy is better put to use instead of on center punched layout.
                        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                        Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

I've one of that style YOD, they're handy. mines a starrett or B&S or some such, the points for punched marks and the balls are for centre drilled or regular holes. by using an optical centre punch or even picking up scribed lines with a prick punch, accurate work can be done - but use a light hand on the punch and the lighter, sharper prick punch is preferred over centre

this is a tool where a diy version is easy to make, take some narrow dia rod of length, maybe 12"-18" long x .1875 or 1/8. hold in whatever is convenient, turn a point on the end at the same setting skim the dia for an inch or so. all that matters is that the two turned surfaces are concentric. Hold it in the drill chuck in the tailstock and indicate on the turned dia. the length will provide more than enough flex. This'll work, better still, if you want get fancy, make it spring loaded in a cylinder so constant pressure is achieved against the punch mark.

Comment

Wiggle It

Just a Little Bit hM Yeah any type cheaper the better. Light oil inside helps em work.I run 900 to 1000 rpm with them and have used them for years. Nice gadget, Dont spend too much on one . I got a pile of em could probably send you one or trade for postage.

Comment

How to use a wiggler

I've got one of the sharp pointed wigglers but have never known how to use it. Could someone describe the process for me? I've messed with it some but I'm not sure if I know how to really use it.

Comment

Working...
                              X