Dumore? Fugetta'bout'it! Enter CutterMaster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dumore? Fugetta'bout'it! Enter CutterMaster

I am beaming with anticipation with what tomorrow will bring. I recently posted questions about a Dumore toolpost grinder I was about to purchase. Today while yakkin' with the old fart machinists over a cup O' Joe I was asking them about the Dumore. Ol' Tom piped up and said. "Come look at this." He led me to the back of his machinery warehouse behind the hulls of Bridgeports, Cincinatti's, DoAll's etc. In the dark corner sat a Cutter Master, circa 1982 that looked almost unused. He handed me the machinery manual, and the original invoice dated 1989 for the machine, dressers, tailstocks, airbearing, workholding, radius dresser, drill cam, cam grinding fixture and set of Hardinge 5C set by 1/16th's totalling $24,141. All of which was sitting on top of a metal cabinet right in front of me! Inside of the cabinet were 27 cup wheels, 2 new in the box diamond wheels, flap disks, and 3 small boxes of grinding parts I am not even familiar with. He said the grinder had been sitting there for about 1 1/2 years and was barely used because the previous manufacuring company had broken the cable feed under the table and pushed it aside (It uses a feed cable and not a rack). I picked it up for $625 and traded some lathe chucks fer the whole gammit! With all of the attachments, it will sharpen ANYTHING, including OD grinding which is what I wanted to do in the first place.
    I'm not bragging, mind you, just EXCITED as HELL!!! I don't know the first thing about grinding but I'll learn NOW!

Duke Reno / Yankee Metallic Metalcraft

You just won a gold watch I'll give you $700 fir delivered to mainland Scotlandwell done bonnie lad have fun Alistair
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Deep, deep burning jealousy.

Joe

Comment

Ah man, you lucky dog! A well earned gloat I might say.

Comment

you one lucky Ba----d . Been looking for one of those for 6 years now at that kind of price . Found something that will do ,but that is just what I have wonted. Good Luck and Have Fun
          Every Mans Work Is A Portrait of Him Self
          http://sites.google.com/site/machinistsite/TWO-BUDDIES
          http://s178.photobucket.com/user/lan...?sort=3&page=1

Comment

Congrats on your find.Hope that you will enjoy it for many years to come.
            Don\'t ask me to do a dam thing, I\'m retired.
            http://home.earthlink.net/~kcprecision/

Comment

Now THAT is a serious score. BTW...I dropped by to visit an ol' tool dealer down south a few years ago. My 1982 Cutter master tool grinder fell out of my coat when I left. I think that may be it. I've been looking for that for sometime. Tell ya what...I'll let you try it for awhile...then when yer bored with it...you can send it back to me....I'll even pay the postage!
              Thanks!
              Russ
              I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

Hah.... You are missing a very important part.

And, just 'cause I'm jealous, I won't even tell you what it is.....

Keep eye on ball.
                Hashim Khan

Comment

Well, another let down in my miserable, failing, soggy wet noodle of a life.

Thanks for lifting me from the dirt and dust, that crap that fell from the back of my refrigerator. Up to the level where my dog will pee, he will pee on top of my head thinking it was a simple mushroom, sprouted from the dung of a milk goat.

Yep, you just raised my self esteem to where I might actually see, or here from those that have seen, the rays of sun that supposedly grace this orb they call earth.

Oh, good score.....JRouche
                  My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

I don't know you, but I find I don't like you very well...

Oh well, I guess I have to add a requisite smiley :flipoff2: (some of you will recognize this) and say "Congrats" just so I can claim I'm just kidding and not really that petty and jealous.

Congrats! Really, I'm serious! @%$#@^...

Russ
                    Master Floor Sweeper

Comment

Sweet! That's just one of those deals that's too good to be true for most of us. I've been looking at T&C grinders for quite a few years now. I have quite a few 'new' endmills people threw in with machinery because they're such great guys. I looked at the DIY Quorns, Tinkers, etc. but it looked like they'd only do the ends and not the flutes. They also looked limited to fairly short endmills. Same for the pricey Deckels. From everything I've been reading online, the chinese version of the Deckel is just about useless. The Darex endmill grinder looked like it would be useable albeit on the small side. The american made Cuttermasters looked pretty decent. They weren't the most flexible things in the world, but came with an air bearing with enough travel to do the extra long endmills I have. I bid on a few but they kept going for close to $2000. Then I ran across a Chevalier "Cuttermaster" on Fleabay. It was exactly what I was looking for. Not only could I sharpen end mills with it, but also do some light surface and OD grinding. Unfortunately, I was outbid and it went for over $2000. About a month ago another one popped up on Fleabay and I got it for under $1200. It was just the grinder and air bearing, no other accessories. It was made in Taiwan in 1992.

You're going to love it. If your manual is the same as the I've got, it's just about useless. It's written in Chinglish, so it can be difficult to follow. The method they describe for grinding the ends of endmills is just plain stupid. Once you get yours up and running, you'll quickly discover that there's often more than one way to do an operation on these due to their flexibility. I see you were luck enough to get the radius head for doing things like ball endmills. The manual does cover setup on that as well, but since I don't have one I didn't read thru that section. If you have any questions about the machine, don't hesitate to ask. I'm certainly not an expert, but have gotten the hang of sharpening end mills with it. The cable for the table is pretty easy to replace. If you run into any problems there I should be able to help.

Enjoy!

Marc -
                      The early bird may get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Nice score! Seems it's true, things come to those who are patient enough to give them time to get there!!

Pretty decent of you to offer to sharpen our cutters for us but I missed your mailing address. I got a small box ready to go our now in the mail
                        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                        Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

I HATE YOU!!

congrats on a major score.
                          "four to tow, two to go"

Comment

Hey Marc-
                            Your grinder seems to be in excellent condition as well. I appreciate your offer for guidance should I need it. I was excite to see the radius head as well since I can turn some of my expensive carbide endmills that have crashed end-flutes into radius grinds.
                            Duke Reno / Yankee Metallic Metalcraft

Comment

Originally posted by Marc M
                              Sweet! That's just one of those deals that's too good to be true for most of us. I've been looking at T&C grinders for quite a few years now. I have quite a few 'new' endmills people threw in with machinery because they're such great guys. I looked at the DIY Quorns, Tinkers, etc. but it looked like they'd only do the ends and not the flutes. They also looked limited to fairly short endmills. Same for the pricey Deckels. From everything I've been reading online, the chinese version of the Deckel is just about useless. The Darex endmill grinder looked like it would be useable albeit on the small side. The american made Cuttermasters looked pretty decent. They weren't the most flexible things in the world, but came with an air bearing with enough travel to do the extra long endmills I have. I bid on a few but they kept going for close to $2000. Then I ran across a Chevalier "Cuttermaster" on Fleabay. It was exactly what I was looking for. Not only could I sharpen end mills with it, but also do some light surface and OD grinding. Unfortunately, I was outbid and it went for over $2000. About a month ago another one popped up on Fleabay and I got it for under $1200. It was just the grinder and air bearing, no other accessories. It was made in Taiwan in 1992.

You're going to love it. If your manual is the same as the I've got, it's just about useless. It's written in Chinglish, so it can be difficult to follow. The method they describe for grinding the ends of endmills is just plain stupid. Once you get yours up and running, you'll quickly discover that there's often more than one way to do an operation on these due to their flexibility. I see you were luck enough to get the radius head for doing things like ball endmills. The manual does cover setup on that as well, but since I don't have one I didn't read thru that section. If you have any questions about the machine, don't hesitate to ask. I'm certainly not an expert, but have gotten the hang of sharpening end mills with it. The cable for the table is pretty easy to replace. If you run into any problems there I should be able to help.

Enjoy!

Marc -
                              SO YOU ARE THE ONE WHO BEAT ME OUT ON E_BAY A FEW Month AGO life sucks. I reconize the grinder.
                              Every Mans Work Is A Portrait of Him Self
                              http://sites.google.com/site/machinistsite/TWO-BUDDIES
                              http://s178.photobucket.com/user/lan...?sort=3&page=1

Comment

Working...
                              X