Phoenix Mill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phoenix Mill

Anyone Else out there working on the phoenix mill procect? I decided this is what I needed for gear cutting and slitting saws, so am going ahead with it before all the articles are printed. I'm going to use a D.C
    gear drive to power the spindle, with a speed range of about 50-500 rpm. Also I'm
    moving right along with modifications to the table.[ball bearings on feedscrews, lube fittings, maybe wipers, and a shield for the
    y axis screw] I'm a little nervous about drilling the center hole and bearing bores in the headstock, I bought my stock at the Boeing surplus outlet, and don't feel like driving about 300 miles back to get another!

Regards, Tim

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Tim Clarke:
    Anyone Else out there working on the phoenix mill procect? I decided this is what I needed for gear cutting and slitting saws, so am going ahead with it before all the articles are printed. I'm going to use a D.C
    gear drive to power the spindle, with a speed range of about 50-500 rpm. Also I'm
    moving right along with modifications to the table.[ball bearings on feedscrews, lube fittings, maybe wipers, and a shield for the
    y axis screw] I'm a little nervous about drilling the center hole and bearing bores in the headstock, I bought my stock at the Boeing surplus outlet, and don't feel like driving about 300 miles back to get another!!!!!!

Regards, Tim
    </font>
    I built a homemade mill. It is vertical with a DC treadmill motor. It cuts good, but I couldn't pass up a good deal on a Burke/millrite milling machine. So I won't be using my homemade mill much. It was a fun project. The table the builder of the Phoenix mill used is the same table I use for my mill. I finished my mill in December '00 so it is a coincidential that two people who have never met used the same table. Unfortunately the table, for me at least, is a piece of junk.
    check out my web site www.members.door.net/metal I have pictures and drawings of the mill. I will have pictures of my millrite later tonight.
    michael

Comment

I am also beginning the Phoenix mill project. I am modifiying most of the dimensions to suit what I have. I noticed that someone responded with a note that the table was of low quality. What specifically was wrong withnit. I purchased one a year ago but have never really used it. I am alos interested in communicating as the project goes along.

Nathan

The following link: www.members.door.net/metal
      Did not work for me. I am interested in seeing the vertical mill built on the same table.

Thanks and good luck!

Comment

I am currently building the mill, too. I got material from metalmart.com, who seems to have what is needed for this project. I changed some things too, to suit my needs, and everything is going ok. I've built the base and column, mounted the table, and built all of the headstock. I've got parts cut for mounting the headstock to the slide. this has taken a lot of thought and improvisation in order to get it done with the tooling that I have. I mounted the square stock for the head in a bracket and clamp on my cross slide and drilled and then
        bored with a boring bar for the bearings. Trying to get everything as accurate as possible in order to eliminate all possibility of slop and error has been a challenge. It has turned into a lot of work, but has also been fun. I plan to use this machine to cut slots in plastics and wood, with as great a degree of accuracy as possible. More finesse than muscle will be required, but I still need rigidity to ensure as close accuracy as I can get. I hope it all works! Good luck to all who are trying this project, Bobby

Comment

I mistyped the url for my home page that shows drawings and pictures of my homemade mill. http://members.door.net/metal
          michael

Comment

Working...
          X