X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice work!
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

I got the Southbend 7 shaper home.. it is still in the truck, roll around cabinet, all the original papers, manual, lamp, both belt guards on it, full of oil in the sump. Looks like the original tooling in the way of bits is there in a brown envelope. I can't tell if the original light bulb is in the lamp? Serial 10705-758 if anyone can tell me when it was made.

HOW does anyone keep a machine for "all them years" without using it?

Needless to say? I am tickled.. Alistair would be proud of the color.. GREEN.. He also has a southbend heavy 10 with lots of tooling that appears to be new.. he wants a wad for it.

It ain't that heavy.. I can pick it up and walk.. but I grunt like a bear.

Them goodies I took off another cnc project are going on this one.. I want a gear-spline-keyway cutter.. That chinese junk 4" rotary table now has to be "rebuilt" and it is new.. maybe easier to just build one that works? THE universal 12" table weighs as much as this shaper.. HA..
      Excuse me, I farted.

Comment

Originally posted by David E Cofer
        I got the Southbend 7 shaper home..

It ain't that heavy.. I can pick it up and walk.. but I grunt like a bear.
        Dave: I know what you mean reminds me of when I moved my anvil from the back of the car to the garage by my self.
        congrats on the new shaper. Hope you have fun with it . There is plenty of info available for the SB on line. I also got an atlas about the same time as tinkerer. I have not painted it yet.but have done a couple projects. Shapers are fun to operate.
        Tin Falcon
        Ad maiorem dei gloriam - Ad vitam paramus

Comment

Dave sounds like a nice score... but take it easy carrying that thing around no need to injure yourself. Post up some pictures of it. Tin didn't you need a pointer and scale for your shaper... if so I can help you out with that. I'm still looking forward to using mine in the next few days or so. Still need to find a gooseneck lamp for it... any of you guy's have one laying around... not being used let me know.
          Wow... where did the time go. I could of swore I was only out there for an hour.

Comment

Tinkerer:
            Yes mine is missing the pointer and scale. It came stripped down but functional no drip pan, belt guards or "real" vise. the vise is a import drill press vise no swivel crude but works. It does have a propper tool holder and square head wrench.
            Tin
            Ad maiorem dei gloriam - Ad vitam paramus

Comment

I saw a gooseneck lamp laying off something.. shade and flex head.. not sure what it came off of.. I'll look tomorrow and pm you if I find anything that is worth a darn..

I also have some sewing lights but think they are a low voltage if you want.. halogen? they are cooler but not as bright.. They are on a flex head, all black.. I remember plastic coated ?? At one time I had two on my lathe on one supply.
              Excuse me, I farted.

Comment

We Get By With A Little Help From Our Friends

Dave been looking for a period style lamp holder... metal flexible shaft and shade standard lamp. The same damm thing that most likely gets tossed out at least 3 times a month somewhere in the world cause it's old junk.

Tin PM me your address... I have a pointer and scale for you.
                Wow... where did the time go. I could of swore I was only out there for an hour.

Comment

FYI: If you need a vise for the Atlas, a gent on the Yahoo Shaper Group by the name of Haprit Sandu (SP?) made some patterns and had some castings made that when machined were like the original Atlas Swivel based vise.

Comment

http://bbssystem.com/download.php?id=977 Sorry for the big photo.. Hosted on Adrians site.

Still looking for "how to's" on a shaper.

I am stripping the xy cnc slide for the two steppers.. first I power the ram DOWN axis the then the 4" rotary. I know I ain't got enough paitience to stand there and bump the handle down.

I am sure glad I printed out "cutting keyways" that was on here. That should have been printed in the magazine. Some of the pictures are gone are they not?

Cutting gears? where do you learn that?
                    Excuse me, I farted.

Comment

Yep that's a big picture.

Dave that's a fine looking machine lamp you have there.... Oh and the shaper looks sweet as well . I would however recommend using it as is for a while till you learn the machines idiosyncrasies before automating it. Besides with all the other things you have robotized I'm sure you could just set them to work and set in a rocking chair and enjoy the simplicity of shaper working. I'll dig around a bit I have some stuff saved that might be of interest to you as far as reading material.

Comment

David
                        Are you looking for shaper operation basics?
                        If so, I have a file called "Getting to Know Your Shaper" or something like that. May have more.
                        If that's the sort of thing you want, email me at burkheimer (at) earthlink dot net and I'll attach it to my reply

Rex

Comment

All the pic's I posted when I wrote the article are still there, and on my photobucket account. A 1/2" kw only takes 15 to 20 min from start to finish. But if you want to CNC it, don't forget to program the 2 or 3 strokes every 5 or 6 down feed strokes, other wise your going to have a real shallow kw in the middle of your bore.
                          Doug

Comment

Dave and other's here's a good sites Shaper.... How to use a shaper.... US Army manual 7" SB Shaper PDF.

Comment

metalshapers at yahoo.. I got half a dozen things to study.

Bad weather moving in here.. I had to stop and plumb in a propane radiant heater just in case. (been hanging on the wall 2 years)... Now I got it working and lighting, the power will not go out. HA..
                              Excuse me, I farted.

Comment

FYI: If you need a vise for the Atlas, a gent on the Yahoo Shaper Group by the name of Haprit Sandu (SP?) made some patterns and had some castings made that when machined were like the original Atlas Swivel based vise.
                                Here's Harprit Singh Sandhu's web site. I know he sells castings for the 7" Atlas Shaper such as the vise & swivel base, clapper & swivel yoke,tool slide & swivel, plus a few others. You can contact him by e-mail but he may take a bit of time to respond as he's usually very busy. He will but you'll have to be patient: http://www.harpritsan.com/
                                "The men the American people admire most extravagantly are the greatest liars; the men they detest most violently are those who try to tell them the truth." H. L. Mencken

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed, and third, it is accepted as self-evident."

"When fear rules, reason and logic are ruled out."

Comment

Working...
                                X