X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small Waste Oil Heaters - Problems Solved - More options

This guy seams to have solved all the problems with small waste oil
    heaters ..
    being able to adjust his to burn minuscule amounts ...or a lot ..
    saved me a lot of head scratching ..
    have a look

newer oil heater design ..at mother earth site

http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_...arth/me11.html

All the best..mark

Thanks for the info on the waste oil burner. I have been playing around with building one and have been running into problems at every turn. I am going to try this new design.

Comment

Waste oil heater

I built one years ago that heated 3000 square feet, Scary but also neat. Mike

Comment

Heater

You need a special air oil nozzle. Then a regulator for air and for oil pressure. Then a heating system to preheat the oil to a hot temperature 140 degrees or so. This is crucial, Then you gotta fool around. I spent two years on and of screwin around with one. Now i use electric heat in my shop due to space considerations my oil heater was big made outa 2 big old propane tanks. One on top of the other. I used to scare people with the huge flame throwing blast coming outa it. Once it warmed up worked great. Little or no smake. Try to screen the oil you feed it no antifreeze if you can help it. Also used a twin oil filter system to clean oil feeding into it.

Comment

Keep in mind that a home built waste oil heater will cancel your fire insurance and may also violate local codes.
          Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

If you want scary flame, try a Babington burner
            one I built a coupla years ago, used a brass cabinet knob with a single 0.010" hole. Had a 2' flame coming outta the burner tube with 20 PSI air. Used it for a patio heater one night. Lost count of the cars that stopped to see if the house was on fire.
            Just got my head together
            now my body's falling apart

Comment

Originally posted by madman
              You need a special air oil nozzle. Then a regulator for air and for oil pressure. Then a heating system to preheat the oil to a hot temperature 140 degrees or so. This is crucial, Then you gotta fool around. I spent two years on and of screwin around with one. Now i use electric heat in my shop due to space considerations my oil heater was big made outa 2 big old propane tanks. One on top of the other. I used to scare people with the huge flame throwing blast coming outa it. Once it warmed up worked great. Little or no smake. Try to screen the oil you feed it no antifreeze if you can help it. Also used a twin oil filter system to clean oil feeding into it.

If you read that guy rogers solutions to problems ...he says the heating of the oil was the main one ...his solution was not to heat it ...
              as regards air ...rogers idea was to save money hence no other device is used running off electrickery .

Roger also says his burner can be turned down to burn less than a litre a day ...that is wonderful control ...that cant be equalled even by commercially produced oil burners ...most commercial ones cant burn less than a litre an hour !!

If what Roger is saying is true...then he has cracked all the problems with these devices ...and if people just copy his design ...they wont have any problems with it ...will be just plug and play .

All the best....mark

Comment

Oil burners

Originally posted by Evan
                Keep in mind that a home built waste oil heater will cancel your fire insurance and may also violate local codes.
                I will second that, also most all oil burners I have worked on had a fire brick or refractory lining inside the firebox.

IF you have a fire and a claim on your fire insurance, they would love to find a non-UL listed or non- approved homemade oil burner, it would save them lots of money. Surprise, they look for ways NOT to pay.
                Retired - Journeyman Refrigeration Pipefitter - Master Electrician

Comment

Around here all heating devices with the exception of existing fireplaces must be UL/CSA approved to obtain insurance.

The first house we owned had an oil pot burner as the main source of heat. We used heating oil so there was no major buildup problem but other than that it was the same as a waste oil burner, commercially made. It was dirty and unreliable and scary. I really didn't like leaving it running unattended to go to work. Fortunately, most of that time my wife stayed at home with the children when they were very young so it was infrequently unattended.
                  Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

To get a glimpse into the insurance litigation business, take a look at one of the court filings over the fire at Power Model Supply. The insurance company is trying to avoid paying the claim because of the circumstances, but there are a lot of interesting loose ends.

https://ecf.moed.uscourts.gov/docume..._CO-DDN-57.PDF
                    "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

Mark, don't let the arseholes put you off. If you're talking about heating your workshop, chances are the insurance won't cover the building anyway. All that dangerous stuff you have in there. Welding stuff and machining stuff and painting stuff and cleaning stuff and.....................
                      Heat it how you will, the cheaper, the better. And even if it's your home, I'm sure you're responsible enough to supervise whatever heating you choose. I may be talking out of my arse here, I live in a place where it rarely gets below 0°C, but I've had a gutful of paying insurance companies, who pay lawyers, who pay "investigators"..........
                      Catch my drift?
                      Rgds, Lin
                      Just got my head together
                      now my body's falling apart

Comment

Working...
                      X