Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by David E Cofer
    Yeah,,,

New chevy trucks, the story told to me by a man involved in it?

As they'd load them onto the car haulers to leave the factory, the guys driving them onto the hauler would hit it 30 or so miles a hour, one front wheel would hit the ramp before the other.. Frames were bent at the dealership. POS new truck evidently riding on another "engineered sheetmetal frame"...

I have a chevy motor, been in seven vehicles now, done wheelstands in two, 160mph in a old heavy El Camino.. I got it blueprinted, stuck together on the stand. It is slated for the second motor for the 41. (after radiator check and other problems run out a few hundred miles)

OK.. Never again will I own a new chevy. I got a pile of chevy parts is why I am building a old one. MY 94 ranger lowrider, working on it? Mostly Mazda. My 99 ranger I bought new? More Mazda.. Funny someone said, Nascar, the only fully american vehicle racing is a toyota. Never again will I buy a new Ford, or Dodge.

Back to welding tables? anyone know where I can get a 4x8x1" sheet of free steel? If not I'll have to deal with the warped one a while longer.
    David you would have cried,I know I did.Several years ago a local fab shop went out.Auction lasted 21 hrs straight.I bought a lot of stuff and nearly ran out of money,it was 1:00 AM when I left and they still had 150 lots to go.

The last 30 lots were welding tables,everything from 4x8x3/4" to 5x10x3",all very well built,nice and neat.I found out the next day that the auctioneer got tired and grouped them all into one lot winner take all one money.

$900 got them all.
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

"5 X 10X 3"...Holy Smoke! The ol' lady'd have a tough time packin her end into the shop then wouldn't she?
      I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

Welding Table

I have a 3'X7'X3/4" piece of plate that was a "Drop" from a job a friend was on. Do you think this is thick enough for a welding table taking the 7' span into consideration? I was thinking about drilling and tapping half of the table every four inches in each direction and threading it to accept studs for hold down purposes.

P/R

Comment

considering I don't reach the back 12" of the 4' table. I think 3' would be great.

Building a t-bucket frame, it is about 11 feet long, not that wide, 23" .. so.. yes for most of the type stuff I do here.

Like I mentioned, them thick slabs cut fingers and toes off. Use substantial legs. I got one of mine outside tables on 18 ga 2"x2"s... Kinda rocky.. the back side is hung by two chains on hooks on the big a-frame.

Perhaps the 3/8" would not have warped up so bad if I had put some kind of frame under it? It still would have moved.

I don't think I'd tap holes, make L bolts.. welding beads in threads is one of my anger management things I have to work on.
          Excuse me, I farted.

Comment

looked at a welding table today, 5'x8'x1"thick, heavy duty to the extreme, price $300. Anybody tell me approx weight?
            "four to tow, two to go"

Comment

I found a calculator that said a 1" thick piece @ 5 x 8 is 1633 lbs! Wow!

SP

Comment

My brother-in-laws permanent welding table is a sheet of 4' by 8' by 3/4" steel. The steel spans about 3' by 6' and its plenty strong as a welding table. There is a little bit of vibration if your hammering (with a sledge mind) on it - but not bad. Mostly just nosiy.

So in response to P/R - i think you'd be ok. Not sure about the drilling and tapping holes though, that might weaken it a bit.

Comment

Mark, why not use a honey comb or grated material for you table surface? Lots less weight and maybe just as strong?

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.
                  Oregon Coast

Comment

I like my open top design for ease of clamping work pieces down. I have never had much need for hammering stuff on a welding table.

Comment

Working...
                    X