MS Vista - Anyone Upgrade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MS Vista - Anyone Upgrade?

Wow! I just upgraded to IE 7.0 and spent the last two hours trying to get my display readable again. It seems IE 7.0 is part of Vista and if it's anything like what I'm seeing now, It SUCKS big time! The stinking thing takes over your display in an "attempt" to make the LCD screens more legible. You can turn the new "Clear Type" on or off and adjust it but evidently there's new drivers for the display and I had to fiddle with mine to get it close to were it was before.

New "Tabs" in IE let you open multiple web pages in a single window. This keeps you from filling up the Task Bar at the bottom of the screen with multiple windows. Slick but it just takes another line at the top. I've having a time getting used to the new look too. Having to hunt for things. Other than the extra lines at the top and the funky new display drivers, it's not all bad.

There's some nice security features added too.

What; tabs? Just like Firefox?
    Just got my head together
    now my body's falling apart

Comment

There's some nice security features added too.
      You mean like Firefox?
      Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Wonder if it has a bookmark toolbar, like firefox?

Comment

I get a free copy of Vista to go with my dual core laptop that I bought last November so I am going to order it and might install it too. The laptop will run the Ultimate version ok but it could use some more ram as it only has one gig.

I don't use this laptop for anything very important other than access to the net so I don't really care what happens to it re the OS. If I don't like it or it just sucks I will roll it back.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
            The laptop will run the Ultimate version ok but it could use some more ram as it only has one gig.
            Oohhh, thats too bad, why did you skimp on the memory. I think I bought my dell lapburner early last year and it came with two gig of mem. They are prolly standard with that much now.

Gotta feeling Vista is gonna be a system resources hog and even more bloated than XP.....JRouche

Comment

It's a lot bigger than XP. XP is around 25 million lines of code, Vista is about 50 million. XP takes about 130 megs to boot and I hear that Vista will take up to 700 if it has it available. If you want to run the Aero interface (not available in Home Basic), you will need a decent 3D Direct X 10 graphics card and at least 128 megs of video ram. That excludes most integrated graphics chip sets.

Comment

I run a Mac laptop and a Mac mini - I shut down my last Windows system some months ago and good riddance. I can have all the Windows I want by running them in a virtual machine on the Mac. The current virtualizers don't allow 3D video so many games are out, but at 61 years of age video games are pretty much way down on my list of things I miss that don't work anymore.

I can also, and do, run Unix (Solaris and Fedora for now) at the same time I run XP - thats three, sometimes four operating systems running concurrently, and with the core duo processor performance is quite brisk.

I don't see where Vista empowers me in any special way and it doesn't solve any problems I have, and I can't upgrade my XP because the MS license and software have combined to prohibit an upgrade in a virtual machine (No ACPI), so screw them.

I have NeoOffice for Mac which is an MS Office clone, and I have only one Windows only app of interest and that's Rhino, and since the company is just two blocks from where I work I'm going to lean on them to do a native Mac version. They probably won't, so I'll just keep a vm running for the rare time I need it.

In my cellar I have two telco racks full of Sun servers for the hi-power grunt work, so I'm in pretty good shape. I probably won't be helping pay for the Bill's new toys this year.
                Last edited by dp; 01-31-2007, 11:36 AM.

Comment

I would wait at least a year before making the switch to Vista (and then I'd only do it if I was forced to). I've heard numerous accounts of people having machines that were supposed to exceed the required specs of Vista and had problems with getting some of the features to run because it hammered their machines so hard.

Also, Vista turns your PC into a "Copyprotection Device" and plenty of people have been having problems getting it to play legally purchased DVDs with it. Also, a lot of software is incompatible with Vista at present, and who knows when that will be fixed. Not to mention, there's a shortage of hardware drivers, so if you've got some kind of uberfancy video card, sound card, drawing tablet, or what have you, you might not be able to get it to work.

People have complained that some of the effects in the Aero interface cause motion sickness in them so you may not want to run that.

Check out Leo Laporte's netcasts at twit.tv, as he's got a bunch that deal with Vista. Also check out the netcasts at http://www.grc.com/securitynow.htm as many of them cover problems with Vista (there's transcripts so those of you on dial up can just read them and not spend an eternity waiting for them to download). The netcasts on Vista's virgin stack, DRM, and Vista Security are must listen to's, in my opinion.

In short, until MS dumps some of the stupid crap in Vista, or the hackers come up with ways to disable it, I'd stay with XP or switch to Ubuntu.

Comment

One question I'd like to ask the people who say move to a Mac or Linux, you won't regret it.

What happens if you have to run certain software to be compatible with customers needs and this isn't available in Mac or Linux.

Both have been round for quite a while but as far as I know neither support a decent CAD/CAM program.
                    Out of interest I'm still on W2000 and propose to stay there for as long as possible.
                    I have a couple of registered programs where I have paid the upgrade but moved back a level as the new software has nothing extra to appeal to me and is just bigger and slower.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

I don’t plan to until I’m forced. I’m running a striped down version of XP Pro SP2 now, and I don’t see a need to upgrade and time soon. Interestingly enough, IE 7.0 is a distant second compared to Firefox.

I’m waiting for the day a smart group of developers comes up with an open source operating system.
                      -Dan S.
                      dans-hobbies.com

Comment

I saw a consumer test of it on the news the other day and most seemed to like it.
                        Whether the fact that the consumers were all schoolchildren in school has anything to do with the type of people it's aimed at I don't know.

I'll keep on with the XP until I'm forced to upgrade,I don't want to go through all the backwards uncompatable crap and having to download new drivers for all the peripherals again.Seems to me the whole world is in the grip of Mr Gates and his software.

Allan

Comment

I’m waiting for the day a smart group of developers comes up with an open source operating system.
                          FreeBSD and Linux are both open source.

Comment

I Have no plans to upgrade until I'm forced to. Still have my head stuck in the sand. I still run DOS 6 on one PC, 311 on another, 95, 98, XP Home, and XP Pro.

If I was running the world DOS 6 would still be my opp system of choice. The only reason that I have up graded is to run newer programs. When I was programing there was more capability in 1K than they put into 1gig now.

All of the GUI stuff did open up the computer world to the uninformed and caused prices to come down, so it is both good and bad, but it eats a tremendous amount of resources.

Bill will probably get more of my money in the future but I will be kicking and screaming all the way.

Ross
                            GUNS Don't kill people
                            Drivers using cell phones do.

Comment

DOS 6! :O
                              I'm still running QDOS 3.? on my old XT. It controls the lights and sprinklers. Mind you, it has a HUGE 30M drive and an 8087 co-pro (so I could run autocad 2.sumthin)

Comment

Working...
                              X