Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What could I do with a P&W Trans-O-Limit gage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What could I do with a P&W Trans-O-Limit gage?

I might be able to pick this doohickey up for about $50.

It's only about a foot tall, cast (aluminum?) base, might be iron, cool little column and screw thingy... Might look impressive sitting on my workbench, but what could I do with it? It's a "gage for direct internal measurement" but the probe goes to hardware that probably doesn't exist anymore.

So what could I do with a cool little base, column and precision-ground gage block? Stick a dial indicator on there and just use it for part comparisons?

Doc.
    Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

The base looks almost identical to the the one on a CE Johansen 'Mikrokator' comparator I picked up as part of an auction lot.
    I can vouch for the fact that mine is cast iron and *very* heavy, even the slots for the base anvil are the same.

Pic here: Auction Lot 61

Looks like it may have been a comparator stand in the past and adapted to use more modern technology.
    No idea what you could do with it though.

Peter

Comment

The base and adjustable column affair are common to several different gaging systems using indicators that are usually in the 0.0001" or finer ranges. These are usually used for inspection and comparative measurement rather than direct measurement.

The probe will need some sort of read out to be useable and then only over whatever it's range is.

The use would be somewhat limited in the usual shop. It would depend on the value of the $50.00 applied in other areas. For most HSM applications, a height gage will serve the same purpose, and have other uses as well.
      Jim H.

Comment

If I had that it'd get adapted to my cutter grinder gadget. I'd mount the motor/head to it.
        Russ
        I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

Working...
        X