No announcement yet.

help making a tap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll keep that in mind if i ever *need* a funky tap. Right now, i'd just be making them to show off. (Which in reality means taking perfectly good drill rod and turning it into junk... )

Comment

Looking thru some pictures tonight and found this drawing which shows the relationship of the ball end mill to the tap for a 5 flute cutter to get the hook.
      As they say a picture is worth a 1,000 words.
      BTW it shows a LH tap.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Originally posted by John Stevenson
        Looking thru some pictures tonight and found this drawing which shows the relationship of the ball end mill to the tap for a 5 flute cutter to get the hook.
        As they say a picture is worth a 1,000 words.
        BTW it shows a LH tap.

Strangest LH tap I ever saw

Tim

Comment

You were quick, I was editing it as soon as I saw the copy paste was three pages behind.

Anyway it's a nice project to make a tap wrench to fit this.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

How do you achieve that taper on the end (the first two or three threads)?
            File them down after the fact?
            ..or turn them down after threading the tap?
            Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

Are the following statements generally true for making taps?

Is it true that for cutting SAE660 or aluminum bronze, I would want to have a flat tooth face with no hook? This would be for an acme leadscrew nut.

In steel and aluminum the tap would work better with a bit of hook, as shown in John's drawing?
              Greg

Comment

update.

scrapped the old taps. hardened them and tried but they're garbage. made new ones as per advise here, like Rich and John pointed out I had too much thread. here's some some shots of the new ones

lynn, I turned the taper in the lathe prior to threading.
                greg , that's what i do, based on the logic rake is rake and different metals like different rakes

before heat treating

finished product, will be the nut for a turnbuckle for a finger brake

i was going to get fancy and grind the flute, but turns out theres no need, worked well with a bit of stoning. i used soap with the heat treating, sort of stopped some scale.

thanks again guys for the help on this, couldn't have done it otherwise
                in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Working...
                X