Shaper depth of cut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shaper depth of cut

How deep a roughing cut should I be able to take on a 7" shaper? Shallow cuts are no problem - excellent surface finish. But if I try to cut deeper than about .015" on steel, I get chatter. If I go deeper than .020", the tool starts to jam. Is it me, or am I asking too much? JCA

u have a problem .....my atlas loves a .050 cut in steel & i can take .100 (dont like to ) .....things to check ...small radius on bit ...minimal end clearance, like 3 deg. no more than .005 feed for heavy cut , feed on REVERSE of stroke , lock head gibs down ,tighten all others , MINIMAL o/hang of tool & holder, & vise......speeds/ sfm,table gibs, ........make sure head is not moving down & digging in....minimal back rake ,none for rough cut.....side rake ok w/ little back for finish cut.....
    best wishes
    docn8as
    docn8as

Comment

Am also thinking about buying a small shaper> Why feed on backstroke? By the way Docn8as can't figure what name means-any meaning or is there no puzzle to contemplate?
      mark costello-Low speed steel

Comment

on backstroke ,clapper (on head, holding tool ) lifts ,freeing up tool so it doesnt drag ...if fed on cutting stroke , cut would have varying depth.....one other thing forgot to mention..Make sure shaper running in right direction!!!!!!!!incidentally, shaper gives much better finish than miller , ( & it is kinda nice to watch)

n8as is extra class amateur radio call sign , just identifies me & allows me to be tracked down if any one wants to go the trouble....i have had it for 25 yrs . amateurs usually know each other by call sign ,more than by name ......now u know more than u cared to!
        best wishes
        docn8as
        docn8as

Comment

My 7" shaper did that too, until the stupid
          vari-drive belt shreded itself, I could take
          .100 cuts if I sharpened my tool right.
          My 12" shaper takes nice heavy cuts, Have you ever seen any shaper literature from
          Cincinatti regarding shaper operation, there is a picture of a guy taking about 1" deep cuts, with about a 24" shaper?
          I have a 24" shaper I got out of a junkyard, that I am going to convert to hydraulic drive. It's an old Ohio, real heavy
          I traded an old turret lathe for it.

Jack

Comment

Jack ...i have a 6x10 antique shaper ,heavy floor job ,maube 600 # that takes 3/8 bit toolholders ...havent taken a cut yet , but i bet it will easily take 1/8 in.......would like to find a 12/14/16 incher somewhere near so ky. i am going to start playing w/ curved cuts ,...have never done any profiling ,just pictures of guys doing absurd stuff ...
            best wishes
            docn8as
            docn8as

Comment

Crazy thing I tried on my 12". To get a heavy cut with out breaking the cutting edge,(I can never get the right angles every time) I beveled the edge of the work where the tool would enter the metal. So that starting the chip would be EZ. Make sure that your ram is not slopy in its ways, check your clapper pivit to make sure that the clapper is not letting the tool move up and down. I hope that helps. Vince

Comment

Vince ....have read that shaper is much happier if tool enters work @ abt. 20 deg. angle ..bout likw an AR carbide bit.....
                sounds like u proved that out .
                best wishes
                docn8as
                docn8as

Comment

Working...
                X